Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Real" Model S Colors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NEWDL

R#350 R#1323, RWD LR 3, Perf3, 23 X LR (7th Tesla)
Jan 5, 2009
NE OHIO
I figured we should start a thread that shows colors that Tesla has actually used on the Model S. The color simulator is nice, but based on nothing but the roadster color spread and maybe a few "I want to see what it looks like in..." colors.

Here is a place to post photos of the Model S colors telsa has used. Either on prototype vehicles, VP cars or production cars.

Starting with...

web.jpg

I don't imagine too many people have seen that color yet...:biggrin:

Enjoy. I am quite a fan.

I think the dark gray one was some sort of "aero buck" or styling test in foam or clay. They did use it to leak teaser photos before we got to see the white and silver ones which had evolved a bit.

More here:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-model-s-whitestar/2487-model-s-prototype-front-ends.html

Some terminology I recall hearing:

Buck: A model of the car's shape used for wind tunnel testing or styling contemplation. (Probably the Dark Gray model S).
Mule: An existing production car gutted, and then reskinned to look like the expected new car. (There was a yellow Roadster Mule 1 that looked just like an Elise with a Tesla drivetrain, and there is a Dark Gray Mule 2 that has an Elise chassis but Tesla drivetrain and custom bodywork that looks a lot like the final Roadster). In some ways the Silver (now Red) model S is a Mule. It might even be "Mule 2" with some other test car out there looking like a stock CLS (or somesuch) with a prototype Model S drivetrain. Remember the white Dodge Magnum wagon chassis we saw left out in plain sight? That might have been a retired mule. Or a decoy mule.
Concept: A completed, drivable, hand-made vehicle done as a styling exercise to gauge public reaction. Some have called the Silver (now Red) Model S a concept car. With that sort of moniker, it would mean to me that the production Model S might differ substantially from what we see now.
Glider: A completed chassis with no drivetrain. (For examples the Roadsters shipped from England to California to have the drivetrain installed).
Roller/Pusher: A sample show car with complete exterior but dummy interior (e.g.: the White Model S)
EP (Engineering Prototype): The first attempt to make a batch of production ready cars. (Used in crash testing, and engineering debugging).
VP (Validation Prototype): What is thought of as a completed vehicle to be handed off to marketing to give test drives and solicit final feedback for fine tuning.

So, I think the real big milestone for Model S would be when some EPs are produced. I don't know if they would try to make any before or after the factory is actually built out and tooled up.

I am guessing that a lot of the above terminology came from Tesla's early involvement with Lotus engineering. (Do they still use those same terms now for Model S development? Is Lotus involved in any way with Model S?)

Last edited:
The process for the Model S development is going to be different than the Roadster. (building a car from the ground up VS using an initial platform and modification/building in a drivetrain into it. I believe the terminology will be slightly different due to this production difference.

That being said I have heard the Dark Gray Model S called the Aero Buck.

The White Model S (no drivetrain just a rolling exterior example) I have heard been called a "pusher" or roller if you prefer that word.

Finally the now red, previously silvery blueish driveable car I have heard referred to as the drivable prototype.

Mule has also been used....I personally think of this as a Tesla in drag... Sorry I have no details on this one...

It has been eight months since the introduction of the Model S and we still do not know the official colors for the Model S. Tesla Motors what's the hold up???

I understand if the large details have not been fully laid out but the base colors should have been agreed upon already.

I personally am not that concerned with colors. I believe that Tesla, more specifically Franz, will pick colors that complement the Model S design and also agree with a majority of buyers tastes. Have you ever not purchased a vehicle because you could not find ONE color you liked in the spread of colors offered?

It has been 9 months, and Tesla has been VERY busy in those 9 months. I would think that securing a production facility trumps choosing production colors. Most manufacturers don't release anything but their promotional color until the brochures come out. Tesla has actually done more than that by showing red, silver/gray, & white.

I personally am not that concerned with colors. I believe that Tesla, more specifically Franz, will pick colors that complement the Model S design and also agree with a majority of buyers tastes. Have you ever not purchased a vehicle because you could not find ONE color you liked in the spread of colors offered?

Franz saw my paint the other day. Even covered with splattered mud and muddy cat prints he seemed to be intrigued with the color.

I did not love any of the Tesla pallet. Fortunately there was the custom option.

Worldwide colors for fashion, cars and paints are advised years in advance by the Color Marketing Group. Tesla will probably look at the trends.

It has been 9 months, and Tesla has been VERY busy in those 9 months. I would think that securing a production facility trumps choosing production colors. Most manufacturers don't release anything but their promotional color until the brochures come out. Tesla has actually done more than that by showing red, silver/gray, & white.

Agreed. At this stage of the game, I'm not concerned about colors. That's sort of a final trim element to me (especially if they're offering custom paint colors). Let's get the thing working as advertised, THEN add the pretty packaging.

Buck: A model of the car's shape used for wind tunnel testing or styling contemplation. (Probably the Dark Gray model S).
Mule: An existing production car gutted, and then reskinned to look like the expected new car. (There was a yellow Roadster Mule 1 that looked just like an Elise with a Tesla drivetrain, and there is a Dark Gray Mule 2 that has an Elise chassis but Tesla drivetrain and custom bodywork that looks a lot like the final Roadster). In some ways the Silver (now Red) model S is a Mule. It might even be "Mule 2" with some other test car out there looking like a stock CLS (or somesuch) with a prototype Model S drivetrain. Remember the white Dodge Magnum wagon chassis we saw left out in plain sight? That might have been a retired mule. Or a decoy mule.
Concept: A completed, drivable, hand-made vehicle done as a styling exercise to gauge public reaction. Some have called the Silver (now Red) Model S a concept car. With that sort of moniker, it would mean to me that the production Model S might differ substantially from what we see now.
Glider: A completed chassis with no drivetrain. (For examples the Roadsters shipped from England to California to have the drivetrain installed).
Roller/Pusher: A sample show car with complete exterior but dummy interior (e.g.: the White Model S)
EP (Engineering Prototype): The first attempt to make a batch of production ready cars. (Used in crash testing, and engineering debugging).
VP (Validation Prototype): What is thought of as a completed vehicle to be handed off to marketing to give test drives and solicit final feedback for fine tuning.

So, I think the real big milestone for Model S would be when some EPs are produced. I don't know if they would try to make any before or after the factory is actually built out and tooled up.

I am guessing that a lot of the above terminology came from Tesla's early involvement with Lotus engineering. (Do they still use those same terms now for Model S development? Is Lotus involved in any way with Model S?)

Terminology is standard(ish) A buck is also a term that is used for "car" the filming of actors in a car on a set. It's usually just a simple shell or back end that can be easily moved on casters and stored. You see them in front of rear screen showing the road going by, or now green screens.

TEG, I remember reading Tesla had a unique term they used for the silver drivable Model S. I think it was three words.

I asked Franz about the whole "S" car name leading into the name Model "T" for the "Bluestar" "peoples" car. He may have been playing dumb because he vaguely made it sound like it was the first time he had heard of it. He tends to talk in lyrics not statements.

Last edited:
I asked Franz about the whole "S" car name leading into the name Model "T" for the "Bluestar" "peoples" car. He may have been playing dumb because he vaguely made it sound like it was the first time he had heard of it. He tends to talk in lyrics not statements.

When I went to the NY event, the reps I spoke to during the test drives pretty much said the Model S is NOT the forerunner to the Model T as cool as it might be. Who knows tho