Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3 in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of the i3 yesterday. Fun cute car. Model S is next and then bye bye to ICEs.
Adaptive cruise control (until standstill) is extremely cool. Looking forward when Teslas will get it.

Last edited:
Tried auto park last night. Very weird feeling. Always scared I might damage my/other car but it worked very well. Extremely impressive, but I hardly do parallel parking in HK. If you use it regular you might lose your parking skill. :smile:

Will give more comments about the car after 1-2 weeks using it.

Adaptive cruise control (until standstill) is extremely cool. Looking forward when Teslas will get it.
Yes, I love the ACC on my i3. It cuts out on occasion, although I'm getting able to predict exactly when that'll happen now.

And, the Teslas just got it! (Hopefully it'll be better than BMW's).

I saw the i3 last year in December and like it but don't like the price. The price is more than US and UK for the same car unlike Tesla which is about same every were around the world.
the i3 is like my old smart42 a fun car not a family car.
The i3 is over price and pay about 150k more and get a model S 60 faster, bigger room, longer range basic every thing better.

I was in the BMW showroom last week and the sale guy told me the no need to wait for the car now they have loads for sale.
looks like no 1 is buying it and they over stocked. 3 months ago he say need to wait 6 to 8 months.
I think most ppl put down deposit on i3 change to Tesla.

This thread is not meant to compare the i3 and the Tesla. The only thing they have in common is, that they are both EV's. It's just a thread about another popular EV in HK. I don't know in which country you inquired about the delivery. In HK you have to wait until early next year if you place an order today, so hope the sales is good. It's not enough for the EV idea to take off with Teslas only.
I agree three price in HK is a but steep for this little car but Iove it.
And by the way, there are people who put their money down for an i3 and Tesla and are keeping both ☺

After a week with the i3 here are some comments. This isn’t a review or comparison with the Model S, just some impressions. I didn’t get my Tesla yet, so EV driving is totally new to me.

like:
- regen braking and one pedal driving
- different energy saving modes
- possibility to precondition the EV, not only the aircon but also the battery, while connected to the current for longer range
- GPS with quite nice perspective view with buildings
- GPS alerts you if your entered trip can’t be done with the remaining charge
- GPS ability to display the reachable area with the remaining charge
- GPS looking for charge points
- adaptive cruise control is a killer feature. Breaks to a standstill if required.
- build quality of the car and the interior
- evaluates your driving style for efficiency
- displays warning if you waste energy with your driving style
- quality of the type 2 charging cable, soft and pre-coiled (extra purchase from BMW)

don’t like:
- no 3-phase charging, max is 32amp 1-phase
- no indication about charging amp or km/h charging, only charge complete time
- no AM radio
- no music art on the entertainment system
- clock doesn’t set automatically through GPS or internet

Just ok. Not better than most other cars I tried.

Correction:
When connecting the iPhone by USB to the car, TuneIn Radio becomes part of the onboard entertainment system and can be controlled from the car's controls. Unfortunately only when the car is stationary. Probably to avoid any Transport Department complaint.
A feature, which I haven't seen in another car (unless TuneIn is built into the car's entertainment system).

Last edited:
thanks for the info but you forgot the main dislike which I think most ppl agree is the range only 120km max out on 1 charge. I live in Sai Kung and to the airport and back that is about 85km which is pushing it a bit.
what no AM!!! What about the digital radio?

Very good review Vmax.
The Regen Braking really stands out.
Test drove a P85 last week and the Regen seemed anemic compared to the i3.
On the other hand, although the i3 is wicked quick, it does not accelerate anything like a Tesla