Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you label your car a hybrid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Victoria has a $100pa registration discount for hybrid vehicles. My understanding is that the model S is eligible for this discount.

A condition of this discount is displaying a 'hybrid' sticker on your front & back plates. Hybrid vehicle registration discount : VicRoads.

For the Victorians will you? - for the non-Victorians, would you?

This seems to be a safety requirement related to the batteries and may therefore apply to Tesla in any case:

Hybrid vehicle identification stickers

concessionhybridsticker.ashx.jpg
As a registration requirement all hybrid vehicles must display hybrid vehicle identification stickers on the number plates.
Hybrid vehicle identification stickers identify a hybrid vehicle to emergency service workers and help ensure their safety if they are called to a crash.
All hybrid vehicles must clearly display these stickers on the front and rear number plates, as shown below. The penalty for not clearly displaying a sticker is a defect notice or fine.

Sounds like the authorities do not even know that EVs exist! I would hate to put a "hybrid" sticker on my pure-EV if I lived in Australia. If they want this for first responders, they need to offer similar stickers with "electric" instead of "hybrid."

GSP

This seems to be a safety requirement related to the batteries and may therefore apply to Tesla in any case:

Hybrid vehicle identification stickers

concessionhybridsticker.ashx.jpg
As a registration requirement all hybrid vehicles must display hybrid vehicle identification stickers on the number plates.
Hybrid vehicle identification stickers identify a hybrid vehicle to emergency service workers and help ensure their safety if they are called to a crash.
All hybrid vehicles must clearly display these stickers on the front and rear number plates, as shown below. The penalty for not clearly displaying a sticker is a defect notice or fine.

Crikey, the nanny state is going crazy.

It it should be "careful, no petrol, oil or other dangerous crap will flow out of this car".

I'm not sure I'd be neutered by have a hydrid sticker on my car. I can't see a La Ferrari or 918 Porsche having one.

Crikey, the nanny state is going crazy.

It it should be "careful, no petrol, oil or other dangerous crap will flow out of this car".

I'm not sure I'd be neutered by have a hydrid sticker on my car. I can't see a La Ferrari or 918 Porsche having one.
LPG cars need a sticker to warn emergency personnel to be careful and treat a damaged vehicle accordingly. With EVs and hybrids there is a high voltage danger that isn't present in a pure ICE car. How do you think you would feel if the jaws of life cut through a HV power cable and injured the rescuer and the victim?

LPG cars need a sticker to warn emergency personnel to be careful and treat a damaged vehicle accordingly. With EVs and hybrids there is a high voltage danger that isn't present in a pure ICE car. How do you think you would feel if the jaws of life cut through a HV power cable and injured the rescuer and the victim?

I think you would feel much worse if they cut through a petrol line.

It can't once your air bags deploy the battery pack circuit breaker cuts of the power to the rest of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
want to mail some to NSW i think they would look good on my little I ?

Hey Gabz, don't give RMS any ideas! They only require "danger" stickers for LPG and CNG powered cars so far. I imagine the sticker for a hydrogen car needs to be 3 foot high so you can read it from a safe distance? ;-)

On a separate note it looks as if RMS may offer a lower motor vehicle tax rate for low emission vehicles. Tesla is not currently on the list, but should qualify as it is 5 green star rated. I have sent RMS a query to see if they will add it to the list - I'll let you all know the response.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 201
Hey Gabz, don't give RMS any ideas! They only require "danger" stickers for LPG and CNG powered cars so far. I imagine the sticker for a hydrogen car needs to be 3 foot high so you can read it from a safe distance? ;-)

On a separate note it looks as if RMS may offer a lower motor vehicle tax rate for low emission vehicles. Tesla is not currently on the list, but should qualify as it is 5 green star rated. I have sent RMS a query to see if they will add it to the list - I'll let you all know the response.
This is one that needs to be brought to Stones notice pronto!!! I was unaware that there were any concessions in this State at all!! Thanks for the heads up!

This is one that needs to be brought to Stones notice pronto!!! I was unaware that there were any concessions in this State at all!! Thanks for the heads up!

clam down.... I’m 90% sure he's referring to the proposed new rego fee which is based on 50% weight 25% green rating and 25% ANCAP rating. as I’ve had to pay my rego twice now and there was no fancy green car discounts mentioned. it's a bit hard to guess when people use iphone screenshots.... i haven't exactly found the page on the rms website he has found.

extra reading:
NSW green car discount plan could penalise EV drivers : Renew Economy
http://vehicleregistration.engagementhq.com/vehicle-registration-initiatives-vri

------
update

wrong apparently Registration fees concessions - Registration - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services

although I’m still not sure what the saving is... or how to apply for it my i-meiv just paid the rego fee $60 and the tax for a car of weight 1085kg $226... you would think that when you declare the make and model they would automatically give discount.

Last edited:
clam down.... I’m 90% sure he's referring to the proposed new rego fee which is based on 50% weight 25% green rating and 25% ANCAP rating. as I’ve had to pay my rego twice now and there was no fancy green car discounts mentioned. it's a bit hard to guess when people use iphone screenshots.... i haven't exactly found the page on the rms website he has found.

extra reading:
NSW green car discount plan could penalise EV drivers : Renew Economy
http://vehicleregistration.engagementhq.com/vehicle-registration-initiatives-vri

------
update

wrong apparently Registration fees concessions - Registration - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services

although I’m still not sure what the saving is... or how to apply for it my i-meiv just paid the rego fee $60 and the tax for a car of weight 1085kg $226... you would think that when you declare the make and model they would automatically give discount.

I guess a reduction in the tax component in your case $226. It might be worth a personal visit to the RMS to ask. I agree, if the car is listed it should be automatic. Are you sure it hasn't already been applied?