Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical access from cabin to frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to install a Blackvue dash cam behind the rearview mirror and run the wire from the A-pillar to the frunk, where I can connect it to the fuse-box. Can someone who has done it before help with some directions.

I installed a Blackvue myself recently. My car (June 2014 production) had the extra (unused) 12v always-on power connector in the area of the roof where the microphones are. To remove the panel, just push it towards the windshield and pull down.

IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_6095.JPG

IMG_6096.JPG

IMG_6097.JPG

@mmh: I'm having problem identifying the plug on the 3rd photo. I'm picking up my P85 next Wed 10. I'll definitely open that compartment to see if I have a unused plug. Please post some pic of that plug.

In newer models that connection most likely is not available. However, to gain access to the fuse box in Frunk from cabin you want to review the "Lighted T installation instructions" at:

Tesla Model S Lighted T Installation Instructions - TESLARATI.com

specifically instructions for installing the diode in the cabin which mimics the behavior of Lighted T. It is almost towards the end of instructions, just before the video.

I've seen people saying that since before 2014 on these forums. Yet my car a June-2014 has the connector. I think that connector's existence might depend on another variable like the tech-package.

Mine is Nov. 2013 with Tech Package but no extra connection in the mike area. It is great that you have it, makes life a whole lot easier. I do have Dual Channel INAVI FXD900 with power sourced from the fuse box in Frunk.

Mine is Nov. 2013 with Tech Package but no extra connection in the mike area. It is great that you have it, makes life a whole lot easier. I do have Dual Channel INAVI FXD900 with power sourced from the fuse box in Frunk.

Yeah, that's so odd. I wonder why some cars have it and not others. If you want to compare, my load-out is:
P44490 S85, Panoramic, Tech, Folding Mirrors, Fog, Air Suspension, Performance Seats, Interior Lighting, Parking Sensors, Ultra High Fidelity Sound, Dual Chargers, Subzero Weather

Looks like the only real difference between our cars is possibly the dual chargers and/or subzero weather.

Yeah, that's so odd. I wonder why some cars have it and not others. If you want to compare, my load-out is:
P44490 S85, Panoramic, Tech, Folding Mirrors, Fog, Air Suspension, Performance Seats, Interior Lighting, Parking Sensors, Ultra High Fidelity Sound, Dual Chargers, Subzero Weather

Looks like the only real difference between our cars is possibly the dual chargers and/or subzero weather.
They may have removed it from the standard build and added it back in recently. They're working on all kinds of driver assist stuff, supposedly, so maybe there's plans to add something up there eventually.