Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inner windshield "fogging" or "oiling"...Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TOBASH

Supporting Member
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 edition from Florida.

Full factory warranty.

Front window has developed an oily residue on the inner windshield ever since I began to use A/C and front defogger.

Reminiscent of build-up you might see in car with small coolant leak to defroster, but no coolant odor in car and coolant level seems constant in rear battery reservoir.

Is this a coolant leak, an oil leak, or is it something else that is less sinister?

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

T

A trick passed on from an Elise mechanic is to apply Rainex all over the inside of the windshield. Keep applying as needed.

What's happening is that the plastic is off-gassing and leaving the residue on the window. I did one application of Rainex over a year ago and never needed to do it again, oily residue hasn't appeared since.

Baking in the sun off-gasses the residue of the detailing cleaners that give such a nice look when you get your car back. Soon the inside of windshield is coated with greasy stuff which takes a few cleanings to remove. In fact I don't think I ever completely removed it. I'm looking for a sponge on a 2 ft handle at some housewares dept to make this chore easier btw if these exist.
--

Baking in the sun off-gasses the residue of the detailing cleaners that give such a nice look when you get your car back. Soon the inside of windshield is coated with greasy stuff which takes a few cleanings to remove. In fact I don't think I ever completely removed it. I'm looking for a sponge on a 2 ft handle at some housewares dept to make this chore easier btw if these exist.
--

Yes, they absolutely exist as I own one with removable microfiber washable clothes. I may have bought at an auto store or Bed Bath and Beyond.

Not hard to make. Just get a microfiber clothe and use a Swiffer handle if you can't find the commercially available ones.

I had this issue with my VW. I used a dry towels to 'absorb' as much as possible. Then I used real 409 (quite a good degrease, and generally very compatible with plastics). Then finally Windex to get the windscreen clean. Took about 2 - 3 iterations over 6 months to get the windshield to stay clean.

I've also heard that interior RainX works wonders. I have not tried it myself though.

I've never had a car that didn't do this. I found that a soft tube sock actually works surprisingly well to clean it off. I tend to just grab whatever is handy to clean it off whenever it starts to annoy me, and for now, the tube sock I pulled out of a backpack filled with clothes is the defending champion. :p

Hi,
I have a similar problem. I once cleaned my windscreen with C-Thru on the outside aswell as the inside. Since then +- after 2 days my inner windscreen aswell as the back one starts this thick, foggy oily like streaks. I have tried sunlight with vineger, window lean, purple spirits, etc. It comes off cleaner like never before but after 2 days its back again. Could someone please tell me what to use or should I rather replace the windows?

Hi,
I have a similar problem. I once cleaned my windscreen with C-Thru on the outside aswell as the inside. Since then +- after 2 days my inner windscreen aswell as the back one starts this thick, foggy oily like streaks. I have tried sunlight with vineger, window lean, purple spirits, etc. It comes off cleaner like never before but after 2 days its back again. Could someone please tell me what to use or should I rather replace the windows?

When the car is new, the outgassing of the carpets and upholstery is going to do that. After a while it becomes less of a problem. The Chemical Guys window cleaner gets it off well enough. If you park indoors, open the hatch and windows so that some of the outgassing exits the car.