Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Post discussions about Superchargers in Ontario, Quebec, and further East here.

Older discussions about Canadian Superchargers can be found here: Canadian Superchargers

A new day has come... even though I'm not too keen too separate "West from East" I think we'll serve everyone better...

Let's not forget we're One...

Long live to Canada AND Tesla!

:)

------

Un nouveau jour est maintenant arrivé... même si je ne suis pas un «fan» de faire une séparation entre l'Est et l'Ouest du Canada, je crois que tous seront mieux servis...

N'oublions jamais que nous formons qu'UNE unité...

Longue vie à l'unité Canadienne et Tesla!

Last edited:
A new day has come... even though I'm not too keen too separate "West from East" I think we'll serve everyone better...

Let's not forget we're One...

Long live to Canada AND Tesla!

------

Un nouveau jour est maintenant arrivé... même si je ne suis pas un «fan» de faire une séparation entre l'Est et l'Ouest du Canada, je crois que tous seront mieux servis...

N'oublions jamais que nous formons qu'UNE unité...

Longue vie à l'unité Canadienne et Tesla!

Agreed, I'll keep an eye on this thread. I've learnedly lot about Ontario/Quebec geography.

I think this is an important post to link to, so that new people coming here will see the current context:
Canadian Superchargers - Page 155

Repeating the info here from the above post:

Eastern Canada:
o Priority routes: Toronto–Montreal, Montreal–Quebec City, Toronto–North Bay (via Barrie)
o Toronto, ON and Cornwall, ON are now open, and we realize the need for Kingston, ON to come online quickly in order to complete the Toronto–Montreal route.
o Drummondville, QC is on track to break ground shortly, enabling Montreal–Quebec City.
o Barrie, ON and other sites will open throughout fall depending on permitting and utility company timing.

URL].png

Repeating the info here from the above post:

Eastern Canada:
o Priority routes: Toronto–Montreal, Montreal–Quebec City, Toronto–North Bay (via Barrie)
o Toronto, ON and Cornwall, ON are now open, and we realize the need for Kingston, ON to come online quickly in order to complete the Toronto–Montreal route.
o Drummondville, QC is on track to break ground shortly, enabling Montreal–Quebec City.
o Barrie, ON and other sites will open throughout fall depending on permitting and utility company timing.

a>.png

So really this is the East of Toronto board :), I want a priority route added, to Detroit and another to Buffalo.

Yes, given that London and Chatam are East of Toronto.

Yeah there are stars on those locations, but the only original reference was "and other sites will open throughout the fall..."

As a "westerner (of the GTA)" I can still gripe about nothing west bound in the short term. Dont get me wrong, I was at the launch, love the energy so to speak, but just want to make sure us "Western Ontarians" keep the pressure on.

Yeah there are stars on those locations, but the only original reference was "and other sites will open throughout the fall..."

As a "westerner (of the GTA)" I can still gripe about nothing west bound in the short term. Dont get me wrong, I was at the launch, love the energy so to speak, but just want to make sure us "Western Ontarians" keep the pressure on.

Hah! Roughly 90% of Ontario is west of, say, London. You can drive for nearly 24 hours west/north-west from Toronto and still be in Ontario.

"Western Ontario" is a very southern-Ontario-centric term. :)

I am thinking of taking my brand new Tesla to Montreal this week. This becomes a viable possibility as Cornwall is now apparently open. My problem, however, is Kingston which is not yet in operation. Can someone suggest an alternate for a reasonably fast charge in the Kingston area?

Hi there, I did that route last weekend when I brought my son to U of T from Montreal. you can actually make it from the Toronto supercharger to the Kingston supercharger on one charge (I did it) but it is extremely tight and you need optimal conditions with winds etc and you need to essentially drive the speed limit. I would not recommend it as a general rule. I just wanted to push the envelope. What you should understand is that the Toronto Supercharger to Cornwall supercharger is essentially all your battery so whatever time you spend charging in between is your buffer.

what you need to do is stop on your way out of Toronto at the Lawrence E st. supercharger and top up to full. The drive to the Coburg Best western (just off the 401 highway) and use their Sun Country 70A charger. You will get about 70Km of range back for every hour you charge. They have a restaurant there so if you can time it for breakfast, brunch, lunch, etc, it is just a regular stop. Then go from there to the Cornwall supercharger. You battery will then be pretty low (around 50Km range) and you can charge up how much you want in Cornwall and at a very fast rate.

Your other option is to stop at the Kingston Best Western instead of Cornwall. They have the same charger there. The reason I prefer the stop in Coburg is that if Coburg is already being used, for example, you have the option of continuing to Kingston. If you wait till Kingston and you run into a problem there, then your options become more limited. Stoping in Coburg instead gives you your buffer ahead of time and leaves you alternate places to stop before Kingston.

On the way back you do the opposite, you top up at the Cornwall SC and stop in Kingston for lunch or something. If no Kingston stop possible you continue onto Coburg or some other options along the 401

If you want to discuss further, PM me.

I am thinking of taking my brand new Tesla to Montreal this week. This becomes a viable possibility as Cornwall is now apparently open. My problem, however, is Kingston which is not yet in operation. Can someone suggest an alternate for a reasonably fast charge in the Kingston area?

From Richmond Hill and your battery charged at 100% (around 422 km) you'll need *approximately* 1 hour and 15 minutes of charging (+/- 85 km of charge that you'll add over that charging time | rate of charging for these chargers is 68 km/hour) at either Cobourg or Kingston Best Western that will give you enough to get at Cornwall SC. Then, Cornwall - Montréal is +/- 118 km apart.

If it rains that day, be sure that you add a little bit more charge than that... With my experience, on rainy road, it increases your consumption by around 10% (sometimes between 10%-15%). Be sure also to be light on your speed... 107-109 km/h is usually a good energy efficient speed...

Have a good trip and don't forget your J1772 adapter!

You can use this site to help you organize your trip: PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car!

Last edited:
what you need to do is stop on your way out of Toronto at the Lawrence E st. supercharger and top up to full. The drive to the Coburg Best western (just off the 401 highway) and use their Sun Country 70A charger. You will get about 70Km of range back for every hour you charge. They have a restaurant there so if you can time it for breakfast, brunch, lunch, etc, it is just a regular stop. Then go from there to the Cornwall supercharger. You battery will then be pretty low (around 50Km range) and you can charge up how much you want in Cornwall and at a very fast rate.

Your other option is to stop at the Kingston Best Western instead of Cornwall. They have the same charger there. The reason I prefer the stop in Coburg is that if Coburg is already being used, for example, you have the option of continuing to Kingston. If you wait till Kingston and you run into a problem there, then your options become more limited. Stoping in Coburg instead gives you your buffer ahead of time and leaves you alternate places to stop before Kingston.

On the way back you do the opposite, you top up at the Cornwall SC and stop in Kingston for lunch or something. If no Kingston stop possible you continue onto Coburg or some other options along the 401

If you want to discuss further, PM me.
I second these comments. Many users on the forum have done this trip (myself included). This is a smart way of traveling and takes into account any possible issues between Toronto and Cornwall.

FWIW, I stopped by the supposed location of the Barrie Supercharger yesterday and found no signs of any activity. (Someone posted, then later removed, something on PlugShare identifying the big box mall on the east side of Hwy 400 at Mapleview). What I did see were lots of spots where it could go in that complex.

107-109 km/h is usually a good energy efficient speed...

And 100 km/h is even more energy efficient.

Past 40 km/h or so, faster = more energy per unit distance. If you're ever unsure of making your destination, just slow down.

(Unless, I suppose, you are facing a huge headwind or blasting the heat into the cabin, then there is a cost to taking longer as well, and I'm not sure what the tipping point is.)

Indeed it is. "University of Western Ontario" was presumptuous. Now it's changed its name to "Western University," which is even worse.

Well, the school was founded in 1878 under the name "The Western University of London Ontario". Northwestern Ontario, including the District of Keewatin and lands extending to Hudson Bay weren't included in Upper Canada aka Ontario until the Canada (Ontario Boundary) Act of 1889.