Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fourth post! :)

I was thinking that the "discussion" links at Superchargers should be updated to point to either here or the Ontario and East thread. All except Cornwall, since that one was singled out for a special thread. What do you think?

Also, for those coming here for the first time: I think this post is very important to read to understand the current situation: Canadian Superchargers - Page 155

(Wow, the end of an era. :) The "Canadian Superchargers" thread closed after 160 pages.)

I think this post is very important to read to understand the current situation: Canadian Superchargers - Page 155

Copying the relevant part of TM's announcement over:

Western Canada:
o Priority routes: Vancouver–Whistler, Vancouver–Banff, Calgary–Edmonton
o Squamish, BC, our first Canadian Supercharger site, opened in July.
o We have broken ground in Hope, BC, which is on track to be the next Western Canada Supercharger.
o Sites have been selected for the remaining five Supercharging locations along the Western Canada routes and we are now into the utility and permitting phases. Other sites will open throughout fall depending on permit and utility company timing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58356&d=1409784191.png

As we navigate through the zoning, permitting, and utility company processes, we continue our policy to communicate firm timing and locations once we and our partners are sure a site will be open.

Nleggatt,

Thanks for another update. On first look I thought "Oh, that's coming along a bit slowly" and then I saw your "last Wednesday" caption. I'd like to think that the trenches have been filled in by now and that concrete was poured the equipment pads so that it can set over the weekend. Looks good for the week after next. Maybe even by a week from today.

I note that after a fabulous summer, Hope has returned to its more typical weather!

Thanks again for the update.

Anyone care to guess which Western Canada SC is next after HOPE ?

I checked the building permit reports from Kamloops and couldn't find anything.
City of Kamloops : Select "Search Building Permit Reports"

I believe there was a post showing some ground markings at the Kamloops info center but nothing recent.

Yeah, based on that post, I would guess Kamloops. It doesn't really matter to me which one they put in next, as long as they are putting one in.

Maybe the next one is from the east end? Could be banff or golden?
After just completing a day trip to Edmonton which I started without a full charge (last minute decision), spent more than an hour shopping at Canadian Tire in Red Deer (Peavey Mart was closed), and then trying to plug in at a hotel where I was ICEd until about 2 AM when I was then able to charge at 120V 12A - effectively about 6 km per hour, spent more than an hour in Leduc on the way back because I didn't have enough charge to get to Red Deer (though had a lot of fun talking to locals about the car) and then, having only charged an extra 25 Kms I arrived home with 2 Kms left....
I can see that a Super Charger in Red Deer would be awesome :)

After just completing a day trip to Edmonton which I started without a full charge (last minute decision), spent more than an hour shopping at Canadian Tire in Red Deer (Peavey Mart was closed), and then trying to plug in at a hotel where I was ICEd until about 2 AM when I was then able to charge at 120V 12A - effectively about 6 km per hour, spent more than an hour in Leduc on the way back because I didn't have enough charge to get to Red Deer (though had a lot of fun talking to locals about the car) and then, having only charged an extra 25 Kms I arrived home with 2 Kms left....

I wasn't aware any hotels in Edmonton have a EV charger. ( if 120V-12A could be considered a charger )
Calgary-Edmonton is heavily traveled. I expect a SC in Red Deer would motivate more people to consider buying a TESLA

@gpetti Are you saying the Red Deer Peavey Mart was closed so you couldn't shop there, or that you also could not charge there? If the latter, it's very unusual for a Peavey Mart to take its EVSE offline at store closing.

I'm actually quite surprised by the lack of EVSEs within the city of Edmonton. They're all on the surrounding highways; Nothing inside the city itself. Hopefully, SCH or others are working on that.

For future reference, there's also supposed to be an 80A (CS-100) charging station at the Leduc Best Western Plus, but perhaps it isn't installed yet.

Did you have a deadline to meet? Or why would you not get enough charge for the return trip in Red Deer or Leduc if you knew their was no (real) charging at your hotel?

i think you are right - the supercharger map shows dead rear may be next up ;-)

@gpetti Are you saying the Red Deer Peavey Mart was closed so you couldn't shop there, or that you also could not charge there? If the latter, it's very unusual for a Peavey Mart to take its EVSE offline at store closing.

I'm actually quite surprised by the lack of EVSEs within the city of Edmonton. They're all on the surrounding highways; Nothing inside the city itself. Hopefully, SCH or others are working on that.

For future reference, there's also supposed to be an 80A (CS-100) charging station at the Leduc Best Western Plus, but perhaps it isn't installed yet.

Did you have a deadline to meet? Or why would you not get enough charge for the return trip in Red Deer or Leduc if you knew their was no (real) charging at your hotel?
The peavey mart charger WAS open. The hotel told me there were lots of plugs available in their underground parking but when I got there there were only a few outside the hotel and they were all ICEd. Truthfully I would have not got much power in the time before I left to go to a gig (my son was playing) and I found a plug when I got back. Either way I knew that Leduc was an option though in retrospect I should have charged longer there. For some reason the charger in Leduc ramps down to 51AMps after an indeterminate amount of time so that caught me out too. I could have stopped for safety in red deer but was on a deadline by then and my range still seemed pretty safe. Apparently from red deer to Calgary is a bit up hill (which I could have figured out had I prepared more).
I think I'm to blame for about 80% of the hassle but my point is that I truly appreciate how much easier this would be with a supercharger. There does seem to be a real shortage of decent chargers and while a few hotels have plugs they are definitely not concerned about EVs, I.e. The plugs such as they are, are for block heaters.