Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car initiates phone call - can't hang up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched but couldn't find a similar question. Occasionally (maybe 6 times since I picked up my S85 2 months ago), the car will initiate a phone call to my iPhone 5s when the phone is in my pocket or plugged into a USB cable. The phone does not register there is a call coming in or going out but the car's media player cuts out as if there is a live call. I cannot find any way to terminate the call other than to turn off Bluetooth on my phone (I haven't tried disconnecting Bluetooth from the car but I suspect that would work too). When I turn BT back on, everything is fine. Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

the car will initiate a phone call to my iPhone 5s when the phone is in my pocket or plugged into a USB cable. The phone does not register there is a call coming in or going out but the car's media player cuts out as if there is a live call.

When the microphone is active in the iPhone (via an audio App or Siri, for example), it will switch to an available bluetooth microphone if one is available. To the car this looks like a call (I believe it shows the phone's own number on the display) but there is no call, just audio flowing from the car's microphone to the iPhone app via bluetooth. Canceling whatever app is accessing the microphone should stop it. Alternatively, activating and deactivating Siri with a double tap on the phone's "home" button may clear it as well.

Thanks for the idea, I'll check apps more carefully the next time, but when this happens, the phone and Siri are inactive and pretty much the only apps I ever use on the phone are email, texting, weather and my calendar. I don't think any of those would access the microphone input.

Thanks for the idea, I'll check apps more carefully the next time, but when this happens, the phone and Siri are inactive and pretty much the only apps I ever use on the phone are email, texting, weather and my calendar. I don't think any of those would access the microphone input.
You'd be surprised which apps want access to the mic. But with later versions of iOS, you can see which Apps have requested access to the mic. Go to Settings->Privacy->Microphone and turn off the ones that make no sense.