Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 launch CRS-4: NET Sept 20th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's time to start the next thread as well. According to NSF forum sources the official no earlier than date is still September 19th although a possible delay to 28th is discussed already, mostly because it's extremely unlikely that the pad can be turned around in 12 days even if the AsiaSat-6 launch happens on early morning of this Sunday.

This is the next ISS resupply mission bringing a lot of crucial components, one of which is replacement batteries that are actually really time critical as a number of tasks on ISS depend on their replacement. A delay is definitely something that no party wants on this, but I seriously doubt that they could do this kind of record turnaround even though reportedly both the dragon and the F9 core have arrived at Cape.

Also, this is the next flight where recovery will be attempted again and should be the last attempt that will land in water.

The very informative NSF thread with dates: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - Dragon - CRS-4/SpX-4 - Sept, 2014 - DISCUSSION THREAD

Thanks for starting this thread.

Agreed w/r/t a nearly-inevitable delay. It will also be a bit more difficult to schedule a new date, since it involves not only range resources (personnel availability, conflicts with other launches) but also the space station's own schedule.

Re: landing in water -- there is speculation that this rocket will not have landing legs. See the recent ASIASAT-6 article:
Article said:
The next first stage return attempt was understood to be the CRS-4/SpX-4 Dragon mission, potentially aiming for a landing on a barge in the Atlantic.

However, sources note the Falcon 9 v1.1 tasked with this mission may not sport the landing legs required for such a landing attempt.

Even if it is confirmed the CRS-4 Falcon 9 is without legs, a level of continued testing toward SpaceX’s fully reusable launch system aspirations could still be undertaken, as the company refines the returning of core stages for what may soon be a return to terra firma.
Even with no legs, they could still do a first-stage return for a 'soft' water landing. Don't know if they will, though.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Agreed w/r/t a nearly-inevitable delay. It will also be a bit more difficult to schedule a new date, since it involves not only range resources (personnel availability, conflicts with other launches) but also the space station's own schedule.

Re: landing in water -- there is speculation that this rocket will not have landing legs. See the recent ASIASAT-6 article:

Even with no legs, they could still do a first-stage return for a 'soft' water landing. Don't know if they will, though.

I'm pretty I've seen public confirmation of no landing legs on CRS-4 by SpaceX employees. They built two cores without attach points for them for the two ASIASAT GTO missions that needed the performance margin, and then ended up swapping one of those for the original CRS-4 vehicle due to scheduling a few months ago, leaving CRS-4 with a core they can't bolt legs to. The next launch with legs will be the following flight currently slated for November with an Orbcomm sat.

Yes it looks like the AsiaSat-6 launch used the CRS-4 core and the CRS-4 will use the AsiaSat-6 core meaning no landing legs. However I'm 100% sure they'll still do a return burn and attempt a soft splashdown with recovery. As this was supposed to be the last water landing anyway, then no big deal with the legs as they've now improved the stabilizer rockets as well and hopefully can keep the core from spinning out of control.

What is the biggest news coming out yesterday isn't the new iPhone or the Apple Watch, but instead that SpaceX and NASA have confirmed that the launch is still targeted for September 19th and that they're working hard to launch on time. This should mean we'll see a static fire very soon. It definitely has most of the industry surprised that they really are going for a 12 day turnaround of the pad, but with loads of real-estate in their control now they probably could do a lot of pre-work on the rocket and Dragon during the AsiaSat-6 stand down and hopefully can indeed pull it off.

Whaaaaatt?
Oh hey, look, a new thread!
Video: CRS-4 Launch

Only 8 hours and counting...

BTW if ppl still want me to merge the video threads in with the main launch discussion threads, I'll do that. Just lemme know.

I do, but I seemed to be alone in that request... :(

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I actually plan to wake myself up for this one, since the word on the street is that if it is clear enough outside you will be able to see it as it rises up the east coast.