Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago to Columbus, OH via Indy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this was already discussed, if so, please tell me where to find the link.

I have a business trip to make to Columbus, OH next week, but I have to pick up a friend in Indy. Is a Tesla trip possible???? Are there superchargers in Indy AND Columbus??? According to the map, no. What about HPWC? I won't take the Tesla if I have to mostly charge at regular EV stations. I won't have the time.

THANKS!

I have a business trip to make to Columbus, OH next week, but I have to pick up a friend in Indy. Is a Tesla trip possible???? Are there superchargers in Indy AND Columbus??? According to the map, no. What about HPWC? I won't take the Tesla if I have to mostly charge at regular EV stations. I won't have the time.
No superchargers (yet!) in Indianapolis, but the Tesla Store at the Fashion Mall (86th St. & Keystone Ave) has a bank of HPWCs available.

Not sure if this was already discussed, if so, please tell me where to find the link.
Anyone have info on Indy or Lafayette, IN SuperCharger? (coming soon but nothing official yet)
Indianapolis - Tesla Store Keystone Mall open 12/13 (linked post has pic of the HPWCs outside the store)

The existing South Bend, Angola, and Toledo Superchargers would make this trip easy if you did not need to pick up your friend in Indianapolis. Likewise, after the Lafayette, Indy and Dayton Superchargers are in, it will be easy to do this drive through Indy.

For now, here are a couple of options to avoid using an ICE-age car:

1) Hypermile to Indy and plan to spend about 3 hours at the fashion mall using Tesla store's 80 A HPWC that rabar10 linked to above.

2) Drive normally (as fast as you like) to South Bend SuperCharger, then take US31 to Indy. US31 is not bad these days, 4 lane with a lot fewer speed zones and stoplights. Then plan to spend about 2 hours at the fashion mall, since you will arrive with a higher SOC than with option 1.

Good Luck,

GSP

PS. I hope you have dual chargers. If not, then charging at the fashion mall will be limited to 40 A, so plan on staying twice as long (6 hours or 4 hours). This is one of those times where owners are really glad they spent the $1500 on dual chargers.

Last edited:
Jess, I made a trip from Columbus to Chicago about 5 weeks ago but I went through the superchargers. I would love to have driven through Indy but wasn't possible without a lot of waiting. Indy does have HPWC where you can charge. Just like GSP mentioned it will be a lot of waiting.
As for Columbus there is also HPWC's near the Tesla store on the east side. I live on the Northwest side of Columbus, if you find yourself there and need a charge you are more than welcome to use my NEMA 14-50.

Thanks everybody. I think I will drive to Indy via Normal, IL (supercharge there), then have my Indy friend drive her ICE to Columbus. W/o a supercharger in Indy, my trip will take way too long.
C'mon, Tesla! Get these superchargers in! I get the impression Tesla is more focused on new product line & other countries than quickly getting supercharger network done here quickly. :(

Jess, I made a trip from Columbus to Chicago about 5 weeks ago but I went through the superchargers. I would love to have driven through Indy but wasn't possible without a lot of waiting. Indy does have HPWC where you can charge. Just like GSP mentioned it will be a lot of waiting.
As for Columbus there is also HPWC's near the Tesla store on the east side. I live on the Northwest side of Columbus, if you find yourself there and need a charge you are more than welcome to use my NEMA 14-50.

Just was in Columbus on Tuesday, visited the Tesla Store in Easton Mall and saw the HPWC parking area in the West Parking Lot. Level 1.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    731.5 KB · Views: 202
Construction on the Supercharger station in Lafayette, IN has started. Not sure how long they have been working at the location but all of the equipment is on site, they have the curbs installed and most of the wiring run through the conduits. My guess is it should be complete in less than two weeks given how fast they seem to be working.

The station is being built in the corner of a Meijer parking lot just off of I65 at the Lafayette state road 26 exit. Here's a link on Google Maps. Lafayette is almost the midpoint between Chicago and Indy so I would think it's likely that they will work their way down to Indy next.