Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music Randomizer - Making random playlists on your USB drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a ton of music and I really missed being able to shuffle when listening to music in my car. I created a workaround that has worked well for me.

It's an App for the Mac called Music Randomizer that randomizes music on a USB drive using random folder numbers and file prefixes.

http://andykellr.github.io/music-randomizer/

As I mentioned in a Tesla forum thread last week, my wife and I just had a baby girl and I took a short hiatus from my work at http://tractionsoftware.com. I wanted to write some code using the Swift language and this was big enough to be interesting but small enough to manage as we adapt to having two little ones.

Thanks for providing this. Although I have not tried it out, I did check-out the version from Github. It needs some small changes to compile with the latest version of Xcode6 (Beta7). I can push the changes back in, but I have not tried them out.

Thanks Omar.

araxara, I just pushed the changes for Beta7. Since the runtime is embedded in the release, I didn't create a new release, but if you want to run from source in Beta7 you should be good now. Note that there's some unused code around (e.g. PlaylistParser.swift) from when I was originally copying from an iTunes XML playlist and I would probably reorganize things slightly. Swift is pretty great. The foreground/background functions in main.swift are kinda fun.

I am using this and it works very well - very simple approach. However, in folder mode I gather it doesn't bother reading metadata except song name - no artist, no album, no cover art. Is that correct?

Now that we have 6.0 with no apparent improvement (as far as I have heard), perhaps the only way to get both shuffle and metadata is to use a tool that applies a randomized prefix to the song name tag within the file (or copy of the file) - a kludge, but that should do the trick I think

So I was able to use the MP3Tag program, which has all kinds of re-tagging capabilities, to prefix each song title with a random number - for instance '[07345] Like it is'. By doing this is will now play all the songs in the sequence set by the numbers.

In addition it will show the artist and album tags as before.

However, the album art seems to be searched primarily from the song title - so even though all my songs have album art included, and it is showing the artist and album, it still displays no art because of the prefixed number, which kills a match :mad:

If anybody is interested in the scripting to achieve this, I will happily share it.

------Update------

After forcing the car to re-cache (by moving everything into a new directory) the album art now shows - so now I have shuffled music, with artist, album and art all showing! I will post my method later

Last edited: