Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S has the best Cost Per Mile Range than any other EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
source: Why The Pricey Tesla Model S Is Actually A Great Value

pretty neat metric. Cost Per Mile of Range (CPMR). MSRP divided by range on a single charge. The 85kW Model S comes out as the best of all EVs whilst the BMW i3 is the worst, lol. I think this clearly speaks to the superior engineering and quality product by Tesla while also pointing out the crappy engineering and money hungry BMW folks. In other words, you're getting the 'most bang for your buck' with the Model S. yeey!!

screen cap from jalopnik:
cpmr.png

Disagree strongly. It is a poor metric.
You are basically looking at which car shoves the most batteries in a car.

Deciding which car works best for a buyer depends upon driving habits.
If you don't drive more than 50 miles a day, the Leaf has a much better price point.

Don't get me wrong, the Tesla Model S is a modern marvel! This particular ratio, without considering the users driving needs, is just junk.

They did not take into account federal and state rebates ($10000 total in CA) which changes the chart dramatically for the lower price EVs like the leaf, which drops to 225 CPMR, while the Models only drops to 263.

The also use list prices, which for many other cars are not realistic, but for Tesla they are. A Leaf can be bought for $26755, which brings it CPMR to 199.

If you count sale tax (8.5% in San Deigo). The $26755 Leaf is 226 and the $79000 Model S is 285

The Model S is a great car and in a totally different league from a LEAF, but it's not even close to the LEAF in CPMR value, which I think is a silly measure anyway.

The Smart Fortwo Electric Drive is discounted (like some other cars, but not all on this list) typically in the MSRP-$3000 range.
The chart could have been more "honest" if it ranked the actual cost to consumer.
I got my Smart ED for $19K including taxes. It was $17K before tax, or "250" in the CPMR.

Another thing (for me anyway) is that most of the cars listed are effectively INFINITY because I can't buy them here in Canada.
Oh, and the Leaf, Focus, i3 while all available in Canada, are not discounted by dealers, so are also way above my Smart ED in CPMR...

As the replies above state, the metric as chosen (list price) is useless IMHO.

Disagree strongly. It is a poor metric.
You are basically looking at which car shoves the most batteries in a car.

Deciding which car works best for a buyer depends upon driving habits.
If you don't drive more than 50 miles a day, the Leaf has a much better price point.

Don't get me wrong, the Tesla Model S is a modern marvel! This particular ratio, without considering the users driving needs, is just junk.

+1
Exactly what I was thinking. I was hoping to see some new data on life cycle cost over, say, a 5 yr or 10 year span.