Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Police use app to track stolen Tesla, 2 arrested after chase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah they're lucky it didn't end worse.

"Police responded with a helicopter and ground units. After spotting the stolen car, a chase ensued through the streets of La Jolla and then onto southbound Interstate 5, where officers deployed spike strips."

Would be interesting to know how they managed to drive off with it? Key still in the car?

1. Places key on window sill some 15 feet from car.
2. Climbs into MS and tries to drive away.
3. Dash complains: "Car Off, Key Not In Car"
4. Car goes nowhere, nada, nichts.

Forget exactly how many times I've done this . . paranoia never ceases.
--

Yes, the real question that the article does not address is how were the thieves able to drive the car? One of the owners must have left a key fob in the car. There is no other way to get the car into Drive.

It doesn't sound like the thieves could have been smart enough to figure out a way to hack the car and get it into Drive mode without a fob since they didn't even realize that the car's location could be tracked via a smartphone app so they didn't also figure out a way to turn off the car's 3G connection or block the GPS antennas.

Check out the address for the incident on Google Maps. Its a big complex, and some parking spots are near the houses - however they look like assigned parking, not visitor. Would be interesting to know if the car was close enough to the house to pick up on the FOB.

I'd like there to be a way to put a code in that is require to disable remote access. Once thieves figure out that it just takes 2-3 touches on the display this nice feature will be worthless.
We've been asking for a PIN to disable remote access for over 2 years. My service reps know other owners and I have asked over and over for it. VERY disappointed in Tesla for not including a PIN for Tesla / owners YET to add this simple feature. Version 6?

Also, the story states the owner(s) left the fob in the car.

Also, the story states the owner(s) left the fob in the car.

I do not see that statement in the story. I've read it three times. Please quote the text in the story that says the fob was left in the car. Thanks.

---UPDATE---

Sorry, I watched the video of the story and the narration says "when they were coming out to their car they discovered the key fob was missing and when they got to where they parked the car they discovered it was missing". That is the narrator saying that, not the owners.

So they apparently left the fob in the car, or possibly it was stolen from them without their knowledge, but that seems unlikely.

The whole incident seems unlikely: they left the fob in the car and then two guys walk by and try the door handles (they would be retracted so they would have to know to touch the handles to get in) and the handles extend and they say "Wow let's go for a ride"?

Last edited: