Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trophy for Fastest BEV Time From US Washington/Canada Border to Fairbanks, Alaska

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I moved this from the Model S forum. Guy

Some of you followed my T5 event (Tesla Tijuana To Tundra Tour) in which I drove a model S from the Mexican border to Fairbanks. The Canada / Fairbanks portion to 9 days. I'll be creating a trophy for the person that beats the prior time from the US (Washington State) / Canada Border to Fairbanks, Alaska. The trophy would be under the EAA umbrella and rotate to the new shorter time from the prior record holder.

A couple points that should make this a reasonable competition:
· Each year, new SCs and HPWCs are deployed.
· Each year, new J1772s are deployed (thanks to Sun Country Highways and others)
· Each year, RV parks are gradually upgrading the 120V 30A services to 220 50A services as they meet demands by newer RVs.
· Each year, more electric lines are rolled out along the highways up north.
These in total should allow people to speed up the journey (reduce the number of overnight charges.)

I've never done something like this so I'm looking for feedback on the general rules/approach, and some specific questions:

Rules, etc:
1. The time is measured from the actual border crossing to entering downtown Fairbanks.
2. This is a one way challenge / measurement. That would allow the contestant to take an alternate way back and enjoy the return trip.
3. This is land only. Use of ferries is not permitted.
4. Rules, judgements, etc determined by an ad hoc committee identified by the EAA Board. This committee will have final decision authority and may change the rules at any time for clarity, fairness, safety, etc.
5. When a new winner is identified, the prior trophy holder is to send the trophy on and will be reimbursed for shipping and deposit.
6. No external source of propulsion may be brought along (e.g. generators, trailers, tow straps, etc.)
7. Guy Hall, will fund the initial trophy as a donation to the EAA.
8. Each winner will have a their name and date added to the trophy.
9. Only BEVs are allowed.

Questions. These can't be new issues.
1. To insure that one winner will pass on the trophy at the appropriate time, should a refundable deposit be required? If so, how much?
2. How do we be clear that we do not support the breaking of traffic laws or unsafe driving to win the shortest time?
3. Should this be a sculpture or plaque? Any creative designers out there?
4. Any clever names for the trophy / contest?
5. Minimum time between winners? 8 days, 4 hours, 10 minutes vs 8 days, 4 hours, 9 minutes, 50 seconds?
6. Minimum calendar time a winner is assured that they can retain the trophy?
7. What am I overlooking?

Sidenote, I originally planned this trophy to be from the Mexican / US border to Fairbanks, but 1) the US part is the easy portion, 2) would required folks from Canada and upper US to have to drive down to Mexico w/o adding much interest. I could do a Silver and Gold version.

Comments are welcomed

If you look up BEV on Wikipedia, the citation discusses battery electric vehicles and battery only electric vehicles almost as if they were separate types. You might want to specify BOEV to avoid any claims made by the unwashed. Do you want to allow battery swaps?

If you look up BEV on Wikipedia, the citation discusses battery electric vehicles and battery only electric vehicles almost as if they were separate types. You might want to specify BOEV to avoid any claims made by the unwashed. Do you want to allow battery swaps?
Quite interesting. I've been heavily involved in EVs for 3 years and not heard this. For now I'll keep to Bev, but will check further about it.

WRT battery swapping, good question. Maybe leave that up to the committee to figure out.

Last edited: