Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested super charger locations, Sydney only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suggest a unit at the Service centre. Depending which side of the bridge that is located, i also suggest the Home Maker centre in Reserve road, St Leonards, and the Super centre at Moore Park. The latter has easy access for those coming in from the South and the former access, but not totally easy, from the North. Both are sufficiently out of the way to make them "destination chargers" rather than daily routine chargers such as a place like St Ives Village shopping centre. Both have toilet facilities and somewhere to get some food.
Both have outdoor parking areas that could have a North facing canopy for solar panels installed.

Last edited:
I always get confused on what is actually "Sydney" for me it starts at hornsby ends around campbeltown and goes as far west as penrith.

edit:
and given the next largest ownership of tesla out of sydney is Newcastle (in NSW) then northern Sydney makes sense. Hornsby, Chattswood, ? this would ensure the Newcastle owners can make it to the service centre without having to reduce speed.

Last edited:
I always get confused on what is actually "Sydney" for me it starts at hornsby ends around campbeltown and goes as far west as penrith.

edit:
and given the next largest ownership of tesla out of sydney is Newcastle (in NSW) then northern Sydney makes sense. Hornsby, Chattswood, ? this would ensure the Newcastle owners can make it to the service centre without having to reduce speed.

It's possible to drive from Newcastle CBD to Sydney CBD at 120km/h and still arrive with 28kWh left in an S60. An SC on the North Shore would make no difference.

I'm going to guess the location will be around the Google HQ in Darling Harbour as that's very central.

It's possible to drive from Newcastle CBD to Sydney CBD at 120km/h and still arrive with 28kWh left in an S60. An SC on the North Shore would make no difference.

I'm going to guess the location will be around the Google HQ in Darling Harbour as that's very central.

fair enough. Google would make a good site owner to deal with i would say more cooperative than sites which have competing businesses as current clients. in regional NSW the only places open 24 hours with food and toilets are petrol stations.

Personally I don't understand the real value of a supercharger in Sydney at all, other than to cater for people without garages. Living in Hornsby a supercharger there would be predominantly a waste for me other than rapid top ups when setting off or returning from a trip. Most of the time I'll be charging overnight.

I'd suggest that the best strategy would be a twofold effort - which is unlikely but goes like this.
1. Develop a variant of the MS with a more luxurious rear seat to cater for the limo market. I know that there have been discussions around this in China, so maybe this will happen here. In Australia this would be an ideal candidate for replacing the statesmans that so many of the drivers use. I know that the guys I use do 500-600 km each day and spend a fortune on petrol.
2. Put a Supercharger in the limo parking area at the airport - where the drivers wait for their passengers to arrive.

That'd corner the limo market here *very* quickly - the drivers that I use in Sydney & Melbourne are very interested in Tesla. Spending $100+ each day on fuel a MS with supercharging at the airport would be very compelling. They would probably want the rear seats to be improved first though.

Personally I don't understand the real value of a supercharger in Sydney at all, other than to cater for people without garages. Living in Hornsby a supercharger there would be predominantly a waste for me other than rapid top ups when setting off or returning from a trip. Most of the time I'll be charging overnight.

most of the time nearly all EV charge overnight. DC charging/ quick charging /super charging are only useful when driving close to your range limits. even public slow charging just sort of turns into a gimmick.

How about a location on the central coast just off the M1, that way people could sensibly travel Sydney to Newcastle or Newcastle to Sydney in a one day round trip and you don't have to have one at either end of the route? Possibly Tuggerah Westfield - it has access for north and southbound traffic and plenty of bars/cafés, cinema, food court and shops. It also previously has an EV charger on the roof parking.

Also Central Coast is popular weekend destination for Sydney dwellers so gives chance to fill up after a weekend on the coast before returning back down in heavy traffic to Sydney.

A bit left field, but do you think the Navy would be interested in leasing a small parcel of land next to Harry's Cafe de Wheels?
Harry's.jpg

The Wharf behind has what used to be called the W Hotel and a number of fine restaurants including Otto.
Across the road is a Servo with a shop that is open long hours.
Oh and of course there's Harry's!
Full disclosure - I live 2 minutes drive from here. :cool:

I'd suggest that the best strategy would be a twofold effort - which is unlikely but goes like this.
1. Develop a variant of the MS with a more luxurious rear seat to cater for the limo market. I know that there have been discussions around this in China, so maybe this will happen here. In Australia this would be an ideal candidate for replacing the statesmans that so many of the drivers use. I know that the guys I use do 500-600 km each day and spend a fortune on petrol.
2. Put a Supercharger in the limo parking area at the airport - where the drivers wait for their passengers to arrive.

That'd corner the limo market here *very* quickly - the drivers that I use in Sydney & Melbourne are very interested in Tesla. Spending $100+ each day on fuel a MS with supercharging at the airport would be very compelling. They would probably want the rear seats to be improved first though.
The value would be for people who don't live in Sydney but are driving through on the way to north or southerly destinations and will be stranded without a recharge. They may not want an overnight stay or to borrow a home charger spot in someone's garage. It also becomes a visible way to publicise the cars and to publicise the charging infrastructure.

The solution for a Sydney super charger location would be to contact The Lord Mayor of Sydney, Clover Moore. SSC has a 0 emissions policy and there is lots of council land that would be suitable, around green square for example would be ideal.

The value would be for people who don't live in Sydney but are driving through on the way to north or southerly destinations and will be stranded without a recharge. They may not want an overnight stay or to borrow a home charger spot in someone's garage. It also becomes a visible way to publicise the cars and to publicise the charging infrastructure.
This makes sense. You would need to tap into somewhere along the 'almost' ring roads (mostly M7) that go from end of M1/F3, across to M2 (Currently Pennant Hills Rd but I believe a tunnel is in design phase), to M4, then M5.

So if it was for journeying reasons, not marketing/promo reasons, then the general areas of West Pennant Hills to the North, Eastern Creek/Rooty Hill (RSL :) ) to the West or Prestons to the South would be good positions. An Airport location wouldn't be too bad either but not great for most trips - especially if from North side.

This absolutely doesn't take in Heosat's sensible map as that didn't take into account SC locations this close to Sydney.

Mangrove's Crap Map is below for reference purposes.
Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 3.12.10 pm.png

The solution for a Sydney super charger location would be to contact The Lord Mayor of Sydney, Clover Moore. SSC has a 0 emissions policy and there is lots of council land that would be suitable, around green square for example would be ideal.

but the city of Sydney already own 12 nissian LEAFs they won't be able to use it :p

Mangrove mike has pretty much given the best solution so far.

For that purpose you want one south of Sydney and another north of Sydney. You still don't want one in the center.

I personally think that putting the first supercharger in a city is a bad idea. There are a lot of people who still don't 'get' electric cars and this sends the message that if you live in Sydney you'll have to get to this supercharger and sit around for an hour once every week or two. Tesla have always said that superchargers are primarily for top-ups on long journeys. The only reason I can think of for doing this is that it will be the quickest easiest place for them to build one, and they want to have one to demonstrate to the press at launch.

I personally think that putting the first supercharger in a city is a bad idea. There are a lot of people who still don't 'get' electric cars and this sends the message that if you live in Sydney you'll have to get to this supercharger and sit around for an hour once every week or two. Tesla have always said that superchargers are primarily for top-ups on long journeys. The only reason I can think of for doing this is that it will be the quickest easiest place for them to build one, and they want to have one to demonstrate to the press at launch.
I think that there are pluses and minuses. Clearly there is a possibility that many owners would 'fill for free', however it gives the public a good chance to see what will be a rare vehicle here for many years, talk to a real owner, see how easy it is to recharge, and I'm sure also be attracted to the idea of 'free Supercharger fuel' as opposed to buying petrol or diesel from the day that you leave the dealership. Every owner is a Tesla salesman and in a country like Australia I think that there's some sense to having a different strategy to the US or Europe.

I think that there's no advantage to peppering Australian cities with superchargers but one or two strategically placed ones would come with some advantages.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with your points, but I think that the first supercharger should allow a demonstration of the driving range of the Model S. So many people I speak to just don't get how little compromise there will (eventually) be with the model S. Something that gives ammunition to the "I don't want to have to sit around while it charges" argument isn't the best start imho.

I've encountered some astonishing anti-electric car arguments. My favourite so far is "what if there's a powercut?". Well for starters, the cash register and pumps at the petrol station won't be working Einstein!