Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Chooses Nevada for its GigaFactory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks Like it is Nevada for Sure!

Report: Tesla picks Nevada for gigafactory

Las Vegas Review-Journal-15 minutes ago
CARSON CITY — The cable news program CNBC has sent a message by Twitter that the Tesla auto company has seleted Nevada for its gigafactory to produce ...

REPORT: Tesla Chooses Nevada For Site Of Its Massive Battery ...
Business Insider-36 minutes ago

Gigafactory location: Tesla Motors confirms Nevada announcement ...
San Jose Mercury News-11 minutes ago

Tesla chooses Nevada for Gigafactory battery plant, reports say
Silicon Valley Business Journal-15 minutes ago

News Alert: CNBC: Tesla chooses Nevada for new battery factory plant
MyNews3 Las Vegas KSNV-30 minutes ago

Tesla chooses Nevada for battery factory: Sources
Highly Cited-CNBC-25 minutes ago

I just stated over on the gigafactory investor thread that as a Texas resident I'm sad to see the factory go to Nevada. However, a huge part of me thinks we deserve to lose the factory as payback for our pathetically corrupt politicians caving to the bribes from the TADA.

Expected. I couldn't imagine them picking CA with its political climate.
It's not the political climate, IMO, it's the legal/regulatory climate in CA. Not only does CA have its own rigorous environmental permitting process ("CEQA"), but even if you satisfy all the regulators, state law allows private legal challenges to their conclusions. Even a very innocuous project can get held up for years during the legal challenges, making California a poor choice for a strategically critical investment like the Gigafactory.

Good news, but I expected more work done on other potential sites. I guess they really did want to see a significant tax and investment package from the states.

So what was Nevada's tax and investment "package" that you describe? AFAIK, CA was the only state to be rigorously working on such a package that, in all likelihood would have passed, had Tesla agreed to the terms.

Having lived in Nevada for the past 44 years, this news is as big as building Hoover Dam was back in the 1930s. This gives Reno a much needed financial boost and keep in mind we have geothermal, solar, and wind power in Northern Nevada. Las Vegas gaming economy has bounced back somewhat from the 1987 crash but Reno is still struggling. They are projecting 6,500 jobs, and remember location, location, location. More details will come out tomorrow at the Governor's press conference but this news really is a BIG DEAL in NEVADA. WOW!