Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September Deliveries - Quality Control Concerns???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the dreaded call from my DS this morning... Car won't be here next Tuesday and they are expecting a 7-10 day delay.

Not upset about the delay as it was expected from reading all the posts on the forum but I am a little concerned about quality control.

He did mention that prior to the line shut down it was quite easy to gage how long a car takes to be produced but with the new line it is taking a few days longer as they work out the kinks etc. as they want to maintain good quality control.

So I guess my question is will vehicles delivered this month be like "Signature Models" in terms of quality... with little quirkily quality issues such as trim pieces not lining up etc.?

Am I just being to paranoid?

Got the dreaded call from my DS this morning... Car won't be here next Tuesday and they are expecting a 7-10 day delay.

Not upset about the delay as it was expected from reading all the posts on the forum but I am a little concerned about quality control.

He did mention that prior to the line shut down it was quite easy to gage how long a car takes to be produced but with the new line it is taking a few days longer as they work out the kinks etc. as they want to maintain good quality control.

So I guess my question is will vehicles delivered this month be like "Signature Models" in terms of quality... with little quirkily quality issues such as trim pieces not lining up etc.?

You're just being paranoid.

Don't look for problems where there aren't any. Your car will be just fine.

Definitely drive it slow when you first get it to make sure the motor doesn't fall out (could have been bolted up wrong) and keep it under 50mph (to ensure the windshield is properly seated and doesn't dislodge and smack you in the face on the freeway)

I'd be concerned. With anything as complex as a car, variations in how it's manufactured are a concern, hand made is decidedly not well made. Despite the delivery rush, you might want to take a very careful look at the car when you first get it and try out all the features pretty early on. Things like fit and finish, the whole frunk closing issue, etc. It's hard to know what may have changed, but if they are having process issues, clearly something did.

Definitely drive it slow when you first get it to make sure the motor doesn't fall out (could have been bolted up wrong) and keep it under 50mph (to ensure the windshield is properly seated and doesn't dislodge and smack you in the face on the freeway)

Also, make sure to check the lug nuts before driving off- if QC didn't verify they were torqued to specs, the wheels could fall off while driving.

Whatever remains that hasn't fallen off after the first year is of the highest quality.

Well, as the DS said, the reason the production process is taking longer than expected is BECAUSE they are concerned about maintaining quality. If I heard they were churning out a huge number of vehicles at FASTER than planned speeds I would be a little more leery until I'd heard the delivery and driving experiences of owners getting their cars. The fact they're delaying us is actually easing my mind in regards to this.

Well, as the DS said, the reason the production process is taking longer than expected is BECAUSE they are concerned about maintaining quality. If I heard they were churning out a huge number of vehicles at FASTER than planned speeds I would be a little more leery until I'd heard the delivery and driving experiences of owners getting their cars. The fact they're delaying us is actually easing my mind in regards to this.

Again, you and I are of opposite opinion. :) From an engineering perspective, I want things running smoothly and normally, if they fall behind for any reason, they are likely to skimp quality control (as the only step they can really cut corners on), to get the product out only two weeks late instead of three. But I generally trust Tesla, and if not, then I trust the service to take care of me.

Again, you and I are of opposite opinion. :) From an engineering perspective, I want things running smoothly and normally, if they fall behind for any reason, they are likely to skimp quality control (as the only step they can really cut corners on), to get the product out only two weeks late instead of three. But I generally trust Tesla, and if not, then I trust the service to take care of me.

Well we agree on Tesla color, and that's what counts most! ;-)

Supposedly word has it quality control after the plant is so bad, new buyers have been driving their Tesla's home and if traveling over 45MPH, the paint has been running and chipping off the car. Also, one person told me they delivered the vehicle without seats, and only had a couple of barstools secured to the cabin with Gorilla Glue and staples.. not to mention instead of the center console screen, there was an iPad in there secured duct tape. Not cool Tesla.

Not pleased to find out that this is how Tesla is speeding up production, as this is what I found after taking delivery today... apparently they desperately need the giga factory to help with the demand...... I wouldn't worry about anything serious though, just don't forget to check the frunk!

tantanteslaengine.jpg

[not actually though]