Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommend electrician for Tucson charging installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new Model S, but I have concerns about getting a charging station installed. My Tucson house is older (built 1969, and the primary breaker box is a looong way (150+ ft) from the garage. I don't know the rated service capacity of the breaker box. I'd prefer a HPWC, but will settle for a NEMA 14-50.

I'm not going to do the work myself.

Can anyone recommend a good electrician for this kind of work, preferably one who has done a HPWC installation?

I have used Brian Winkle from Winkle Electric for many projects, ranging from complete home rewiring to installing my sub-panel in my garage to power the HPWC. I installed the HPWC myself, however, because at the time Tesla was behind in shipping the HPWC. Brian installed the 125A sub-panel and various outlets, including a NEMA 10-50 that I used temporarily to charge my Tesla until the HPWC arrived. He did go over the specs of the HPWC and made sure it would work out. He basically charged labor and parts which amounted to about $600 total which including running a 30ft conductor to the garage and installing the sub-panel. He is a licensed electrician. His contact information is

Brian Winkle
Winkle Electric
2610 E Manchester St.
Tucson AZ 85716-5320
(520) 795-1001

Installed sub-panel with HPWC (as you can see I didn't need to do much to install it)
HPWC installed with sub-Panel.png

Last edited:
FYI,

As recommended by araxara, I used Brian Winkle for my HPWC installation.

As it turned out, the length of the run was not an issue, as I had a breaker box right on the other side of the garage wall.

While it was his first one, he came prepared, having already read the installation docs. He and an assistant had it installed in an hour and a half or so from start to finish. The quality of the work was superior. The cost was $540 for parts and labor.

Hello Tesla owners, I am Brian Winkle and I joined here to update this thread for people looking for an electrician in Tucson. I have retired as of April, 2020 and no longer doing any electrical work. I am recommending Buddy Heilig & Sons at (520) 777-4425. Buddy and his staff can do everything from your home charging stations to commercial charging stations at your business and they are on the list of Tesla certified installers. Thanks to all who used us in the past and happy travels!

Reactions: tmoz