Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada: Asking for feedback on electricians who install outlets for Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting quotes right now to install either 220V or HPWC (haven't made up my mind yet). Yes, I know about the Ontario rebate with the HPWC.

So far I have contacted JML Electric and Abassi Electric. Does anyone have experience with these guys and care to comment?

Would you recommend anyone else?

I'm in TO.

I highly recommend JML. They're also the recommended electrician from Tesla.

I got quotes from Mr Electric, and a few others contractors.
Mr Electric gave me a few options, running 220V, HPWC, etc.
JML was by far the cheapest (roughly $500 cheaper than Mr Electric). They were very courteous, and didn't mind me asking *a few* questions along the way.
I had my Electric Panel upgraded to 200Amp as well, and they did a professional job, on the coldest day of winter.
I felt sorry for the guy in the garage, wiring up my HPWC, in ~-30C.

I'm in Markham

Yes. Joe came out to my house yesterday and sent me the quote last night. Really nice guy and professional in his demeanor. Unfortunately the other contact that Tesla gave me has not got back to me even after a couple of extra calls.

I was hoping for a competitive quote, but it might not happen.

Sundoc, I expect to you will like Joe.

To the others, thanks for the feedback.

Had JML do the install for me. No issues with the install that his workers did, clean work and no problems. One issue that occurred is that Joe from JML set up a date for me to have the inspection performed, but gave me the wrong date. I waited the requisite 9-5, emailed Joe to doublecheck the dates-no response. Finally got in touch with the inspector who said it was in fact the next day.
I wrote another email to Joe about it, no apology or explanation as to what happened. Would have appreciated at the very least an acknowledgement of the inconvenience.

Casco Bay Electric in Portland ME did a fine job installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage in Scarborough. Breaker slots were available in the service box, so they ran a heavy cable about 12 feet from there through ceiling joists and down through a short conduit to a box on the wall, through the wall into another box in the garage, then through about 12 feet of conduit to a surface mounted outlet midway along the garage wall. $475. This is very much in line with $275 that I was charged by Weissman Electric, for the same outlet mounted less than a foot from my service box in Annapolis MD.

Casco Bay Electric in Portland ME did a fine job installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage in Scarborough. Breaker slots were available in the service box, so they ran a heavy cable about 12 feet from there through ceiling joists and down through a short conduit to a box on the wall, through the wall into another box in the garage, then through about 12 feet of conduit to a surface mounted outlet midway along the garage wall. $475. This is very much in line with $275 that I was charged by Weissman Electric, for the same outlet mounted less than a foot from my service box in Annapolis MD.

Wow! Was this the labour cost, parts cost or total cost?
my quote is no where near this... Then again I see you're in the States as opposed to up here in Canada.

This is a Canada thread: probably better to have this post in the New England section. ;)

My first install was about 12 feet from the box in my garage which ran through the attic to a 14-50 outlet was $500 both parts and labour. My second install to a Clipper Creek CS-60 was $650 both parts and labour (~30‘ plus junction box to covered carport). So these Canadian prices are not much different than the States.

I started this thing - and thank you for the responses. Since my delivery date has moved from October to December, I've been more relaxed about getting electrician quotes. But I now have several recommended names - and some good references for JML.

So now the waiting game ... but just a little bit longer ...

I had JML come by and give me an estimate... to be honest though it seems to be on the high side (based on quotes I've been reading here and on the Tesla forum), but since he has done several of these installs I think I'll just go with him.

Got my HPWC last week... My S should be here late Oct (Oct.27 date) fingers crossed!