Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge time increased due to high temperatures ID:1152 Data:0x08000000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen this message when charging: "Charge time increased due to high temperatures"
ID:1152 Data:0x08000000

I saw this message on a hot day when it was barely comfortable for me to sit in the car with the windows up. I also had the trunk closed for security, since I was in a public garage. This was a Tesla HPC that started out with 70 A of charging current for a Range charge.

What's strange about this is that I get the impression it was the charger that was overheating, but I'm not aware of any Tesla feature whereby the charger can communicate a message to display on the VMS.

The reason I think it was the charger is that the amperage value on the right kept lowering from 70 A, first to 44 A, and then to something like 27 A. I know that when the car is manually set back to charge at a lower current, the VMS displays this as local current versus available current. e.g. 27/70A would be expected if I had manually dialed back the current from 70A to 27A (although I don't think that specific value is available). Instead, I saw 44/44A and then 27/27A, and I could see a slight lag as the Roadster adjusted the current to the new limit. The limit also bumped back up to 44A for periods of time during the charge, only to drop to 27A for about equal amounts of time.

Looking at my VehicleLogs, I can see that the available current from the charger was changing during this time, with the current draw of the car adjusting to match.

Has anyone seen this?

Is the display format just inconsistent, and this was not the charger at all, but my car? I assumed that if the battery were hot (and I forgot to look at the battery temp screen on my VMS, darn it), then the display would look just like it does when I manually reduce current (e.g. 44/70A and 27/70A), but I suppose it's also possible that this kind of current reduction is different because the owner is not allowed to turn the current up. Anyway, I'm just looking for more information from anyone who has experience here.

By the way, the car charged normally a few days later in a different location, but from a similar Tesla HPC and I was able to make a Range mode charge without extended charge time. I guess if I lived in the Southwest instead of the Northwest, I probably would have seen this many times before.

I reported the same error (entered it in the Roadster wiki) right after TMC Connect. It happened on a few different EVSEs and (most frustrating) when driving home from Fremont, it dropped me from 70amp down to under 30amp of charging. That was a long day. (And I tried switching input current, didn't make a difference.) It was a hot day, but there are a lot of hot days around here & it definitely wasn't in the category of 'off the charts hot day'. It's not good when people say 'whoa, never saw that one before!'.

The only thing we could think of was that I drove through a cloud of insulation that dropped on the freeway on the way to TMC Connect -- so the PEM and fans were thoroughly cleaned. I haven't had a problem since. But I'm not convinced we found the actual problem. If I had to hazard a guess, it would be PEM-related.

- - - Updated - - -

If you end up talking to your service guys, tell them that the Rocklin Service center spent time on this. (And if you're a Tesla engineer reading this & you think know the issue, please call Rocklin and add to the knowledge db. :) )

Has anyone seen this message when charging: "Charge time increased due to high temperatures"
ID:1152 Data:0x08000000

Yes, I experienced this message two days ago for the first time. Coincidentally, it was just a week or so after my roadster was updated to the latest Tesla firmware 4.6.8.

I had it happen in stopping at a 70 amp Tesla charging station with a J1772 connector at the Omni Hotel in Richmond (Richmond Omni Hotel | Richmond, VA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare) for what I hoped to be a quick charge for an extra 50 miles of range while we stopped for lunch. The temperatures outside were warm (95 degrees or so) and humid. I had driven the car with the A/C on for the previous two hours or so, and I had not been going that fast (not in excess of 65 mph).

I got the warning screen when I first plugged in. I thought OK, maybe the car needs to cool down for 10 minutes or so and then it will charge more quickly. Rather, when I returned to check on it 1-1/2 hours later, I found it charging at 207 volts / 27 amps rather than 70 amps (unfortunately, with the car being underground in the Omni garage, it did not connect through OVMS so to add to the misery, I was not able to monitor it while at lunch). I tried disconnecting and re-connecting, and got the same error repeatedly. The car would start to charge at 70 amps but then quickly ramp back to 27 amps.

The strange thing I noticed is that, despite the temperature and high charging rate, the car's A/C never fired on while connected up to the charger, unlike at home on my mobile charging unit which charges at 40 amps, the car's A/C almost always comes on while charging. It is almost like the car's A/C was malfunctioning and failing to turn on, and this was the reason for the error message and rollback to 27 amps. I even tried turning on the car and the A/C and then re-connecting but the A/C would not come on while charging.

When I returned home with 10 miles or so left in range (after driving at an excruciating 56 mph the remainder of the way for maximum range given the failure to get the charge I expected at the stop), the A/C did come on as normal with the charging. I did get another strange error message of that "extension cord detected" even though my home charger is a direct connection to a NEMA 14-50 but the car appeared to charge normally, even though hot.

I have been wondering if this is something that I should contact Tesla service about as to whether it indicates an issue with the car. I have not looked at the vehicle logs yet but I probably should.

Instead, I saw 44/44A and then 27/27A, and I could see a slight lag as the Roadster adjusted the current to the new limit. The limit also bumped back up to 44A for periods of time during the charge, only to drop to 27A for about equal amounts of time.
Yes, this is exactly what my screen showed also while I attempted to charge at the 70 amp charging station although the periods when it bounced up to 44 amps were very brief.

20140901_150727.jpg

I had a Roadster stop at my house for juice a couple years ago and his car kept reducing the charge rate because his PEM was too hot. He didn't get the message that you did, but that's clearly what was going on. I suspect that message was added in the last firmware update. It was a hot day. Amps would drop as low as 27 and periodically go back up to 44. He had the same problem when he got home. He got his PEM cleaned shortly after that and it never happened again.

The charger is not reducing the amps - it's your car. Chargers that are J1772 compliant are allowed to reduce amps but no message will show up on your VDS. The amps will just go lower. While testing the SR CAN I used a Model S UMC a few times that overheated and reduced amps to 10. My Roadster kept charging but there was no message.

Had this issue a few years ago when we were charging one July in Ciudad Rodrigo on our way back from Portugal. It was a 7kw (32A) outlet.

The car reported 54C on that very hot afternoon (the charge point was in a sunny corner) and the PEM needed a clean too (so it wasn't cooling properly). It popped up the same message you are seeing and dropped the charge rate to 12A or even lower if I recall correctly. I did write about this at the time and posted some photos here in TMC somewhere.

As we were in a rush we put ice bags on the PEM to cool it (an emergency measure obviously) and the charge rate increased. It was pointed out that such measures could lead to condensation in the PEM, which would NOT be good, but it was a good way to resolve the issue that day.

You could point a portable AC unit towards the fan air intake, or by some other means cool the PEM more (put some blocks of dry ice on the floor near the fan?).

Mark

This all makes sense with the PEM being hot.

With respect to cleaning the PEM, is it possible just to blow air into the PEM through an opening somewhere and blast dirt and debris out or does the entire PEM have to be removed and cleaned? Every post I see on removing and cleaning the PEM speaks of not doing it unless one knows what they are doing (i.e. high voltage and such) but then never gives instructions on how to do it. Is it possible on an interim basis to get dust and debris out of the PEM without removing it, such as possibly by removing the square plate on the RH top and blowing air into it?

This all makes sense with the PEM being hot.

With respect to cleaning the PEM, is it possible just to blow air into the PEM through an opening somewhere and blast dirt and debris out or does the entire PEM have to be removed and cleaned? Every post I see on removing and cleaning the PEM speaks of not doing it unless one knows what they are doing (i.e. high voltage and such) but then never gives instructions on how to do it. Is it possible on an interim basis to get dust and debris out of the PEM without removing it, such as possibly by removing the square plate on the RH top and blowing air into it?

You pretty much have to take it out to clean it. Having said that, a TMC member from Germany had Tesla install a compressed air hose quick-connect in his PEM that allowed him to blow air backwards through the PEM so he could quickly clean it without taking it out. I'm not sure how much time that would save now that they've installed the new fans and cowling around it. You'd have to clean all that stuff out after blowing the air backwards.