Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging at Hotels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello:

I am a huge Tesla fan (I live in Manhattan so do not own one yet, but soon I hope...) and am working on a project to partner hotels with Tesla charging stations. We are looking for owners who would like to see more hotels have charging stations for their Teslas to tell us if and why that would benefit them or just add any comment (privately, no need for public comment).

It would be appreciated if you could respond to this post if that's important to you, and please spread word if you know others who might like to see a partnership.

Please feel free to reach me here or email me directly.

Thank you,

Sam

(9/9) UPDATE: For those of you responding to the post above mine, please note the OP has not returned to the forum since the day/time the original post was made.

Why not work with the Tesla team that's already working on that?

Last edited:
+1...Hotels would be far better installing 100 amp Sun Country Highway (Clipper Creek) stations as any EV could charge there...HWPC will limit the scope of EV's that the Hotels patron will require...Sun Country is working with the Best Western Hotel chain throughout North America...

I'd like to see more 80A J1772 stations so all EVs could charge there, including my Roadster!

Please respond if you want hotel Tesla charging stations

I love the idea of Tesla chargers at hotels. Having said that, I don't believe the question(s) being asked here are what we should be asking. Who is going to say no? There is no counter-desire. Cost, etc. Perhaps a better set of questions would be-

1/ Given two hotels with the same rating and same location (within 1 mile), how much more per night would you be willing to pay pay for an on-site EVSE?
2/ Given two hotels with the same rating and price per night, one without an EVSE at your ideal location and another with an EVSE but x miles away, how likely are you to stay at the hotel with the EVSE? x=1-2, x=2-4, x=5-10, x=10-20?

[there are more questions we could ask, but this describes my jist]

This is the type of data that will convince a hotel to install an EVSE. It brings in new business.

Last edited:
+1 noticing more have it, or even a few Holiday Inns's with DCFC. If hotels even knew a NEMA 14-50 would be well recieved, so long as EVSE theft were dealt with, with perhaps a camera on that portion of a parking lot, I think they would move knowing how cheaply they could attract customers. Smaller "Bed & Breakfasts" already get this, with a growing HPWC footprint there, as well.

Hello:

I am a huge Tesla fan (I live in Manhattan so do not own one yet, but soon I hope...) and am working on a project to partner hotels with Tesla charging stations. We are looking for owners who would like to see more hotels have charging stations for their Teslas to tell us if and why that would benefit them or just add any comment (privately, no need for public comment).

It would be appreciated if you could respond to this post if that's important to you, and please spread word if you know others who might like to see a partnership.

Thank you,

Sam

She came, she posted, she never came back again. Something is *off*.

Hello:

Thank you,

Sam

Why not work with the Tesla team that's already working on that?

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum.

As Bonnie aluded to Tesla has a Destination Charging Program in place whereby Tesla will donate or discount the cost of Tesla High Power Wall Connectors (HPWCs) to qualifying destinations, including hotels and resorts. HPWCs are proprietary Tesla charging equipment that are compatible with the Model S and later the Model X.

Destination charging is a very important objective, particularly overnight charging. Our Florida Tesla club routinely works with the Tesla destination charging team to pursuade hotels/resorts and other destinations to install both Tesla HPWCs and other "universal" charging equipment.

If you are an advocate of destination charging I suggest that you do the same, work with the Tesla team.

Larry

I love the idea of Tesla chargers at hotels. Having said that, I don't believe the question(s) being asked here are what we should be asking. Who is going to say no? There is no counter-desire. Cost, etc. Perhaps a better set of questions would be-

This is the type of data that will convince a hotel to install an EVSE. It brings in new business.

Sorry, but I disagree. I would say no. EVSEs are an order of magnitude more expensive to buy and install, and most people stay at a hotel on their way to the destination. If you want faster charging, get them to put chargers in at the actual destination.

At a hotel, all you need is a 14-50 outlet. One tenth the cost, and you're gonna be there all night anyway, or at least most of it. You don't need to recharge in 4 hours or so. And anyone can use it!

I say HPWCs at hotels are a waste of money and resources. Tesla has somehow gotten the idea that "destination charging" means hotels, but I think that's wrong. They could put 14-50s in a whole bunch of hotels where they are now planning nothing.

For instance, if they wanted to do some good, they might try to put HPWCs in between supercharger locations. There is a huge dearth of ways to charge from Shasta to Idaho. Can you make it? Only by going way out of your way. I think their HPWC program should be to fill in the gaping holes they have out there, where there are no plans to put in any other type of charging. But what do I know?

Hello:

Thank you,

Sam

I live in the SF Bay Area and am very satisfied to use J1772 chargers. I have only found one hotel that I've stayed at in the past 12 months with a charging station. I have no problems traveling from the very South Bay to San Francisco and returning home if I've charged to max charge. If I forget to charge to max I have to divert 17 miles to the factory for a charge to make it home. if I want to stay overnight I'm out of luck charging at the hotel (I've checked out about 30 places so far and not one has a charger and most don't have a clue about the networks).

So here is a real life issue I'm struggling with for my daughters wedding in SF next month that will requires an overnight stay. The Holiday Inn at Fisherman's Wharf doesn't have any charging options (including NEMA 5-15). The are 3 chargers within 2-3 block of the hotel but they are ChargePoint, Blink and eVgo. The Blnk location is in a $35/night parking structure with one J1772 station (its open 24 hours). Minimum costs is $35 for parking and $0.59/kWh if the one charger is available when i get there. The ChargPoint charger is in a garage that doesn't allow overnight parking so I'd have to pay their minimum parking of $20 plus $0.49/kWh plus another $26/night at the Holiday Inn. The last charger is eVgo at the Walgreens with one j1772 charger which either requires a monthly fee of $5.95 or as a guest for $1.50/hr. So it looks like I'll be walking the 6 blocks round trip to the eVgo station. The eVgo station also offers DC Fast Charge but Tesla doesn't have an adapter. :cursing:

The real rub is that in 18 months of ownership and over 27,000 miles I've used public charging 4 times and 3 of those times I had to go back twice to find an open charger and the fourth was at the Hilton Universal City, I had to pay parking but the charge was free. The Super Charger stations are great for travel along major highways but if your like me and travel between the Bay Area and LA the only SC in LA is at SpaceX which is 34 miles round trip from my location in the LA area. Elon gets a charger and I get 90 minutes in extra traffic to SpaceX unless a J1772 stations has open chargers.

SO YES, THERE SHOULD BE A MAJOR EFFORT TO HAVE EVERY HOTEL HAVE CHARGING CAPABILITY WITH A MINIMUM OF J1772 chargers. No they don't have to be Super Chargers nor in my opinion should they be Super Chargers. :smile:

I do not want Tesla only chargers to be installed. I want high power outlets (NEMA 14-50) or 80 Ampere J1772 to be installed. This way all EVs can use them.
It's not an either/or proposition. Hotels will install what they think will attract business. Right now HPWC is what will attract business because Tesla is the only long-distance EV, and the price is right with Tesla's destination charging program. That doesn't mean they can't also install J1772 if they get demand for it, but there aren't many other pure EVs driving far enough to stay overnight in a hotel. Besides, after driving all day would you want the one J1772 spot taken up by a plug-in Prius?

It's not an either/or proposition. Hotels will install what they think will attract business. Right now HPWC is what will attract business because Tesla is the only long-distance EV, and the price is right with Tesla's destination charging program. That doesn't mean they can't also install J1772 if they get demand for it, but there aren't many other pure EVs driving far enough to stay overnight in a hotel. Besides, after driving all day would you want the one J1772 spot taken up by a plug-in Prius?
Absent incentives biasing the J-1772 vs. HPWC decision one way or the other, hotels would be foolish to install HPWC in lieu of high-power J-1772. Keeping things generic will enable them to satisfy and retain as many customers as possible. A Plug-in Prius, Volt, or LEAF driver will be happiest if allowed to charge, even though the energy stored will be far lower than a Tesla. The solution is to provide adequate charging for all guests with plug-in cars. PHEV drivers can be satisfied with 120 V outlets, but everyone else needs 240 V. At larger hotels/venues, perhaps installing a combination of 120 V outlets, 30 amp J-1772, and 80 amp J-1772 would be most cost effective provided longer-range EVs are given priority on the higher power stations.

And yes, we've used our LEAF for regional, overnight trips. With the right infrastructure in place, even an "economy" EV can do this. The more electric vs. ICE miles, the better for all of us.

Interesting thread and responses. So how many of you want to get involved in installing chargers? I know some of you (like roblab, for instance) already are involved. How about the rest of you? I have some ways we can get involved ... J1772s, different level amperage, etc. Want me to get a new thread opened and we can get the right people in on the discussion?

I agree Rob.

If you're staying overnight anyway, a 14-50 is plenty. In fact, I'm just happy if I can find an RV park within walking distance of a motel.

Here's what I do:

If you're willing to call every hotel near where you need to stay, do it. It's virtually a free phone call. Use the local number, not the 800 one. Ask if they have a 220, 50 amp plug. About one in ten do. Even if they don't, they nearly always ask, after making a reservation, "Is there anything else we can do for you?" Bingo! Yes! How about a simple outlet for my car? It becomes clear that this might be a way to win or keep customers.

I also find that, since I stay at the lower priced motels, I have a record of using Choice Hotel Group. I have a letter from them stating they want tosupport the electric vehicle customer. I call the motels in that group and ask if they are willing to put in a simple outlet that every electric car can use, for when I stay there. I tell them they will be listed on a national registry so others will know where to stay. AND I offer to pay for it. You know, every one has refused, "Oh, we couldn't do that". One hotel says that they are required to put in two elevators in their two, two story buildings, which will cost them $12,000. A plug is nothing.

But you gotta ask. If they don't sound interested, tell them you will check with Super 8, or whomever. If you're in the area, and have stayed overnight, ask to see the manager! Give him a ride, and the Tesla Tour. Tell him you like his motel, but it sure would be convenient if you could put $5 worth of electricity in the car while you stay. OFFER TO PAY! They probably won't let you.

But if you don't ask this time, it won't be there next time. If you don't ask for yourself, someone else won't have charging later.

I know many of us aren't as forward, outgoing, gregarious, and downright irritating as me, but Elon and I are trying to make this a better world.