Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers' side airbag and seat issue.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the weekend, the airbag light started going on intermittently - in the top left of the instrument panel. I couldn't figure out any pattern as to when it'd go on - sometimes at start, sometimes when driving, on and off every other minute, irrelevant whether solo or with a passenger in the right seat. So I called into the SC (Fremont) and got an appointment today.

SC said "we've never heard of this one before!" - which, for Fremont, came as a surprise to me.

Turns out after looking at the logs and diagnosing, there is a fault somewhere in the drivers seat sensor AND in the drivers seat belt sensor. Apparently this caused an intermittent warning that manifested itself in the airbag light. Solution: replace entire drivers seat and seat belt. The problem with this solution is, it's 10-14 days out of service (ugh!) because the seats and belts are all custom order depending on the config (I have P85, tan leather non-Sport) and the SC won't release a car with a seat belt fault.

Good thing I'm not stuck in an Enterprise ICE loaner (today's loaner is a black S85, but no upgraded sound, bummer)

No real complaints other than the time it's going to take to fix, but given that the SC said this is a really rare thing, I wanted to put the datapoint out there. I tried searching both this forum and TM's and couldn't find any complaints about airbag lights.

yeah, I was pretty surprised about it to be honest. It seemed so random and not in keeping with the normal Tesla notifications, which are usually way more descriptive than just a red light on the dash. Reminded me of the old "idiot check engine" ICE lights!

Anyway, they're fixing it; and I get a regular ol' S85 for the next two weeks. It'll be an interesting comparison.

For what it's worth I am also able to get my "punch list" of tiny little insignificant things fixed at the same time! ..all two of them...

It's my luck that the weirdest most random thing happens to me.. Oh well. Car's tremendous even with this glitch!

My airbag light is on. They just pulled my logs and are evaluating them to see if it's something they can fix quickly. I'm hoping they can since my carsl's been in a Tesla certified repair shop for about 6 months. I was hit on the passenger side. The initial repair time estimate was 2 months. There was lots of delays. I have been paying out of pocket for ICE rentals. It feels so wrong.