Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Booked a Model S, should I postpone delivery in the hope of getting more features?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I booked my Model S 2 days back, order will be confirmed on the 10th of September. I recently read Elon Musk's reply on Twitter where he acknowledged the addition of some features (the response to the Palo Alto ad). Now I'm wondering if I should wait a wee bit more in the hope that I could get the new features in the car (even though it is uncertain). Also, the car delivery says late December, should I get it delivered in early 2015, so that at least the registration card says 2015? (even though there may not be any difference in the car per se, since Tesla doesn't have model years) What do you guys think?

When purchasing a hi-tech item, you get the best you can at the time as long as it does what you need it to do. Once you take delivery, don't read another article about it until you are ready for a replacement. There will always be new features just around the corner regardless of when you purchase, and by waiting you'll miss out on the experience.

I'm in a similar dilemma ! I wouldn't mind of those feature come later, as long as the big work of wirering was already done and upgrade would be simple and cheap to do ! But we don't know if it will be, and based on the parking sensor, it cost 6200$ to add it afterward for car that it wasn't available yet ! 6200$ for a 500$ option today !

Interesting site : Modifications | TeslaTap

Classic case of the perfect defeating the good. Don't wait. I figured I could do without all kinds of stuff that might be available after I got my car: 4 wheel drive, folding side mirrors, front sensors, or even body panels that lined up well. I got my car two years ago. I have never been sorry. It is still the greatest car on the road.

Unless you already know that you MUST have extra whatever, don't put it off, and don't look back.

I agree with the "Do it now" sentiment. The additional problem is that whatever feature you think is just around the corner may be just around a dozen corners, or it may not materialize at all. Counting on Elon Musk's wonderful musings, bless the fellow, is an invitation to hair-pulling frustration.

Certainly many expected things with Tesla are beyond its control to deliver in a timely manner, and "coming soon" is an understandable position. It just doesn't mean what most people, including Tesla, want it to mean.

I see no reason to have 2015 on a document rather than 2014, unless there's a licensing difference in your area. In my area, a later year designated would push back the need for emissions testing, but . . . !

If you can outfit a car the way you want it now and you'll be happy do it. If you feel a specific feature that you rely on daily is missing wait. I don't know what that feature would be but it would justify the wait. I wanted to wait for a 4G model, but the sales staff assured me that once the 4G is ready it would be a software update.

I'm getting mine September 26/29th, gotta figure out when I'm going to be able to do a factory delivery. I was thinking about the 2014 Vs 2015 too. My conclusion was that because these cars are getting so much attention It's only a matter of time until the wait goes from 3 months to 4, then 5, then 6... What's it matter what year you get it if you have to wait months to get it?

If by 4G, you mean LTE (and not fake 4G, which is just an enhancement to 3G), it will not be a software update. The modem chip in the car can not do LTE. The current modem chip supports 3G and HDSPA (which is an enhancement to 3G that many carriers referred to as 4G as a marketing ploy). If Tesla ever offers LTE in the Model S, it will require the installation of a new modem card (i.e., new hardware).

I recently read Elon Musk's reply on Twitter where he acknowledged the addition of some features (the response to the Palo Alto ad). Now I'm wondering if I should wait a wee bit more in the hope that I could get the new features in the car (even though it is uncertain)
If you're waiting for any feature that Elon has promised, you won't be waiting a "wee bit" more, you'll be waiting a LOT more. Elon tends to keep his promises on features, but he is abysmal at time-lines. Double any time-line he gives (or more) and for any item with no time-line attached, expect multiple years.

If you're waiting for any feature that Elon has promised, you won't be waiting a "wee bit" more, you'll be waiting a LOT more. Elon tends to keep his promises on features, but he is abysmal at time-lines. Double any time-line he gives (or more) and for any item with no time-line attached, expect multiple years.

Remember when he said 6.0 would come out in February?

Hmm, interesting comments. Of course I don't want to wait indefinitely as well. My order is in the production queue now and the delivery date says December (Norway delivery). Now a related question is the vehicle registration card will list the car year as 2014..and not 2015. Psychologically and in terms of resale value, the general consensus is that people check the year of the car when they buy, even though Tesla doesn't believe in it, doesn't mean people won't check it. So in terms of depreciation, having 2015 on the vehicle registration card would be better than 2014, so I'm wondering if I should get it in the beginning of January instead now.

Odds are that anyone in the market for a used Model S will be educated enough on the car to know that a mere calendar date is meaningless.
An even slightly better equipped December 2013 build is more desirable than a slightly less well optioned one built say March 2014.
The only exception would be if Tesla instituted a valuable model wide change in a later build.

'Owner Advisers' may not be in the "know". That said, if adaptive cruise, lane departure, collision assist, miss-givings about the seating, or any supposed improvements were ones you'd hold out for, <2 months, or so, is pretty cheap wait time. I don't know that ordering now, for January delivery, means you'll get updates. I think they build the car and can let it sit until your specified delivery. That wouldn't do much good, if updates are announced after the December builds (that get delivered in January). Lastly, I know the saw about Tesla gradually phasing improvements, but let me put it this way. A J1 '15 improvement is more likely, than a 12/1, or 2/1. With MX being later into 2015, I also wouldn't be surprised if the bigger MS changes weren't a year away, or in tandem with MX.