Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The electrical motor itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm interested in knowing what kind of motor it runs on, how is it wound? How many volts does it run on? What frequency does it run on? How many kW is it rated etc?

anyone have these details?

Make not so important, roadster specs would be fine :)

Depends if you are talking about Drivetrain 1.0 (obsolete/prototype), Drivetrain 1.5 (2008 models), Drivetrain 2.0 base (2010 standard models) or Drivetrain 2.0 sport.

But for all:
3-Phase, 4-pole AC Induction electric motor.

Volts output from the battery pack is ~375nominal, but I don't know what the "PEM" does to that before it goes to the motor. Also, AC frequency to the motor probably varies up to 200hz or so.

I read somewhere that DT2.0 can pull 850amps max, so if it is 215kW max that would be ~250V. The motor voltage probably is varied depending on RPM, load and other things.

The is the latest Tesla "official" 2010 Roadster sport (top of the line model) power/torque graph:
torquegraph_v2.gif

(I keep chuckling every time I read "giddy acceleration" in a technical spec.) :biggrin:

Last edited:
I don't think they have published any such thing so far.
For service related to the motor, PEM and battery pack I think that is all expected to be done only by Tesla right now.

Tesla has stated many times and many places the only difference between the standard and performance 85 is the drive inverter. The beefier inverter in the P allows for higher peak current delivery to the motor, resulting in more HP from the same motor.

In fact, all three varients of the Model S drive train - 65, 85, and P85 - use the same motor. The fact that each is rated for more HP is due to more current available at each step up, not due to any differences in the motor.

Tesla has stated many times and many places the only difference between the standard and performance 85 is the drive inverter. The beefier inverter in the P allows for higher peak current delivery to the motor, resulting in more HP from the same motor.

In fact, all three varients of the Model S drive train - 65, 85, and P85 - use the same motor. The fact that each is rated for more HP is due to more current available at each step up, not due to any differences in the motor.

I think at this point it is all software controlled anyway. Originally they were putting different inverters in cars. When a tech came out in January to do a proactive 12v battery replacement, he indicated that at some point they simply started using all the same inverters. I cannot remember how we got on the subject but that is what I was told. I'm sure they figured out it was more cost effective at some point.

Thanks for info. I'm just starting out immersing myself with all the information.

If that's the only difference, I have to wonder what's possible performance-wise with more powerful electronics? What is the maximum peak current (within reason of inverter technology) for this motor?

-J

I think at this point it is all software controlled anyway. Originally they were putting different inverters in cars. When a tech came out in January to do a proactive 12v battery replacement, he indicated that at some point they simply started using all the same inverters. I cannot remember how we got on the subject but that is what I was told. I'm sure they figured out it was more cost effective at some point.

I don't think they have the same inverter.

When I checked into getting a P upgrade to my S85 recently, the cost was $17k including parts, shipping, labor and taxes.

I would assume the s60 and s85 have the same inverters though.

Just thinking to myself. The next thing you will hear is Hacker Hot Rodding the Tesla. Only a matter of time, someone will come up with electronics to increase it. Looking back in time. They came up with a chip for the FI cars. Not saying it is a good thing but it will happen.