Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Augusta GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Augusta SC Location Progress

Approaching Q4 of 2014, and hoping for some progress with the SC at Augusta.

This is a great location for Tesla travels to/from Atlanta on Interstate-20 east.
Good route to get to I-95 northward from the Santee SC.
With the Santee SC already operating, an Augusta stop would make getting to Santee and beyond easy.

Of course getting to/from Carolina coast will be facilitated perfectly too.

If this one is going to make it in 2014 we need to see some movement soon.

-Richard
+Wean me from the RV outlets please! :)

Sadly I don't see this one going quickly.

I know it is the best way to I-95 north from Atlanta. And a good way to the beach. And should be easy to implement. And the location I would use most often.

But it doesn't seem to be anywhere on Tesla's radar. I was hoping the stall in Greenville and still missing Charlotte locations would help push Augusta, in effort to connect Atlanta northwards, but apparently it hasn't.

Ok, another month down. We are into Q4!

I am betting that Augusta would be one of those sites where the Supercharger install goes really quickly once it gets started.
Running short on time for 2014, so I wonder if there is any movement yet.
Anybody know about permits for Augusta?

With all the waiting in this part of the country, it would be very cool to pop up a key SC site here on Interstate-20!

@driver_EV,Like you, I travel to Augusta fairly often. At your recommendation, I have charged at the Heritage RV Park on 2 pleasant occasions. But it sure would be nice to be able to charge 24-7 without having to make appointments. Most of the places I go in Augusta are just under 100 miles from the Santee SC, so my local driving in Augusta is limited without going out to Heritage on a weekday. I have also stopped to charge at the Aiken Electic Co-op (J1772 which starts around 20mph and quickly goes down from there, also not available on the weekends). AEC has business development people, who kindly checked with Tesla to see if any of the I-20 exits in their territory would be suitable for a supercharger site. Unfortunately they do not have a shopping center close enough to an exit to meet Tesla's criteria. They seemed to think that the site will be at a shopping center in Augusta.There are some very busy shopping centers along I-20 in Augusta. But superchargers seem to wind up in shopping centers that could use some additional traffic, such as the Ocala site. Emupilot's rumor seems to make sense for that reason, since the Cabela Drive location was cleared around the time of the big economic down turn, which left only Costco and Comcast as tenants. I haven't been out there to see if the Cabela's itself has been built, or more important for our purposes, whether any restaurants have been built. The Google street view is dated early 2012.Since I have seen you, we have followed the superchargers all the way to Squamish, B.C. We stopped at 57 discrete superchargers on that trip. The directions to several of these superchargers included a Cabela Drive. So there may be a connection between Tesla and the shopping center development company which is building out Cabela's stores. Or perhaps they were just creating networks at the same time. Would someone who regularly drives that stretch of I-20, please get off at the Riverwatch exit and explore Cabela Drive to see what is currently there? Do you think Tesla would delay a supercharger for lack of restrooms/food/amenities? I'm still hoping for a 2014 Augusta supercharger. I can only imagine how frustrated Atlanta owners must be given all the false starts along I-85. scoots

scoots, thanks for the reply and comments. When I got my 2012 model S in Dec. 2012, I was excited when Augusta was listed as an early southeast Supercharger location. They even had two dots on the map for Augusta. I trumpeted the SC network to locals who were considering a Tesla purchase, and am sure the ability to do long drives easily is a key feature for customers. I don't brag so much lately about the SC network, but advise folks to check out the map projections and advise the times seem to slip.

Augusta is so far, pushed back nearly two years in projected buildout, and looks like it will be sometime in 2015 instead of 2014 when it happens.

Augusta is not a usual destination for me. It is where I often have to stop and charge in order to make it to Atlanta, which also is not my usual destination, but rather a charging stop to get me to north Alabama.
So you see, I have a long drive, with multiple charge stops and hours of stopped charging time to get there.

Only if the weather is good and driving carefully, can I make the ATL to/from (the slightly out of the way) Santee supercharger, otherwise I still have to stop at the Augusta RV park in order to make the drive between ATL and Charleston. So the Santee SC about 60 miles from Charleston is of very little value on my trip, unfortunately.

The good news is ATL looks like it will have SC's by the holiday travel season, so that should help me out significantly. I still need Augusta in order to get to/from ATL though. -still waiting... :-/
Perhaps Augusta will just happen quickly now like some others have. Thinking happy thoughts can't hurt, right?

Where exactly in Augusta doesn't matter to me. It is an active area, so there has to be a good location in or nearby.
It seems unlikely to me that finding a good location is the issue.
Slightly east (Aiken), or a little west of Augusta, either would serve just as well.

I have seen a number of posts from ATL Tesla drivers asking how to make it to Charleston, etc. The need is there.

For the record, Tesla's update to the Supercharging map this week moved the Augusta stations to farther out. Now they are only on the "2015" map.

At least you have a couple SC choices in Atlanta now ...

It really is nice that Atlanta is online now.

In 2013 Augusta location was "coming soon".
It was moved to 2014 then pushed back again to 2015.
Does 2015 really mean plan on 2016?

At 300 miles or more depending on route, getting to Atlanta is still not very easy.
I would gladly trade either of the choices in Atlanta for an opportunity near Augusta.
Pondering how much confidence I have that Augusta will be online before the warranty is up on my 2012 Model S.
:)

It seems only Hilton Head area folks have easy access to Atlanta from the Carolinas at this point.

I hear from reliable sources that the Augusta Supercharger is starting to happen. Keep your eyes open.
I heard that too, but apparently it isn't even permitted yet. I doubt it will be functioning in time for the Masters.

I was hoping it would be in before I take delivery of my Tesla, but it looks like that's nowhere near happening. I'll probably have to run up to Greenville to charge to get all the way back to Goose Creek.

Hello. New member here with Tesla due first week in April!
I received this from Tesla 3 days ago:
Thank you for your email. We are approaching the construction phase of the project in Augusta, GA and we hope to open this station before Summer, however, we cannot make guarantees about opening dates. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website and in your Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: EV Family
Hello. New member here with Tesla due first week in April!
I received this from Tesla 3 days ago:
Thank you for your email. We are approaching the construction phase of the project in Augusta, GA and we hope to open this station before Summer, however, we cannot make guarantees about opening dates. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website and in your Model S.

Nice! Anyone know where?

• Informative
Reactions: EV Family