Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile app places my car in western China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the map in the car look OK? If so, somewhere along the car -> server -> app chain the lat-long got changed.

Let me guess, the app shows that the car is in Qinghai province, close to Yushu? If that's the case and assuming the car is currently parked in Plano, TX, this means the longitude sign got lost: Plano is 33N 96W, whereas Yushu is 33N 96E. East is usually denoted as positive longitude, whereas West hemisphere is represented by negative longitude numbers. This means that some app or server, somewhere, lost the "-" in front of the longitude. Type cast problem: easy to overlook in a branch with little test coverage.

If my analysis correct, I'd start with rebooting the app first (or using a different device). If that doesn't work, I'd move the car to see if it changes things. Then reboot the car. If nothing else helps, the problem is probably in the Tesla servers and I would inform them.

Please do let us know what it turns out to be. Very interested.

Last edited:
It is kinda funny. :)

It's not the app. My phone and the chrome extension both show it in China.

I'll reboot it this afternoon and see what happens.

At first I thought it didn't load a map, as it was just all white. Turns out that that part of China is pretty deserted. Once I zoomed out enough I found out where I was.

Oh, the map & nav in the car is fine.

Here's what it looks like zoomed out a bit:

TeslaLocation.png

Looks like I'm west of Qinghai, in Tibet.

Last edited:
Update: Did a reboot, and the car is still Chinese. I'll call Tesla and see if they can fix it.

Edit: The Chrome app shows the car in China, but now the phone app is correct! I'll wait a bit and see if the chrome app gets fixed also. I didn't call Tesla, it was the car (main screen) reboot that corrected the phone app.

I was in Hawaii and I had a location in the Australian Desert. Nothing but sand... I thought I was the first MS in Australia:cool: it corrected itself after I left the parking garage. :frown:
Picture or id didn't happen:wink:
IMAG0191crop.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Similar issue but related to the car nav was reported by andrewket a few months ago; his car showed a charge location in the Indian Ocean: I-bet-nobody-else-has-charged-here
I had one charge location that was in the middle of a boat harbor here in Hawaii. I was charging in the same garage as when I "went to Australia"

I was in Hawaii and I had a location in the Australian Desert. Nothing but sand... I thought I was the first MS in Australia:cool: it corrected itself after I left the parking garage. :frown:
Picture or id didn't happen:wink:
View attachment 58306

- - - Updated - - -

I had one charge location that was in the middle of a boat harbor here in Hawaii. I was charging in the same garage as when I "went to Australia"

Sorry to disappoint but Tesla have had 3 or 4 Model S demonstrators in Australia for a while now.
Yours might be the first one in the desert however. ;-)