Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another reason why the Dual Chargers option is worth having...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I applaud Tesla and these establishments for installing HPWCs, I do worry that it makes Tesla vehicles even more "elitist". Why not install 100 amp Clipper Creek / Sun Country units that will deliver exactly the same rate of charge to a Tesla with dual chargers, but also allow pretty much every other EV on the continent to plug in as well?

As much as I applaud Tesla and these establishments for installing HPWCs, I do worry that it makes Tesla vehicles even more "elitist". Why not install 100 amp Clipper Creek / Sun Country units that will deliver exactly the same rate of charge to a Tesla with dual chargers, but also allow pretty much every other EV on the continent to plug in as well?

Because
a) they're paying for them
b) they want to strengthen the brand
c) they want to get other manufacturers to adopt their connector

Besides: what other BEVs travel far enough to need to stay in a hotel?

When I read this article it makes me feel that the money I will be spending on buying MS is worth each and every penny... I agree with you...why not install 100 amp Clipper Creek..but my question to you is are other EV car manufacturers contributing in installing these super chargers? Just wondering

I've been debating this in my mind. I understand why the hotel/restaurant would do so: Model S drivers tend to have a higher disposable income and the charging stations cost less than a Sun Country unit.

Plus, there's nothing to prevent the development of a "reverse" J1772 adapter that allows Volts, Leafs and Sparks to plug into an HPWC.

Because
a) they're paying for them
b) they want to strengthen the brand
c) they want to get other manufacturers to adopt their connector

Agree completely. No other EV can be used, practically speaking, for long distance travel. The HPWC is a less expensive approach to providing L2 charging than the Clipper Creek units. And if the other EV manufacturers want to get serious about EVs they can make an adaptor that fits the Tesla connector. I'm sure that Tesla will provide the necessary technical specs if requested. All Our Patent Are Belong To You | Blog | Tesla Motors

After 2 years of driving an iMiev I completely agree with your sentiment behind the question. Seems like Tesla is the only company to install even 10kW chargers, the others max out at 6.6kW. While supporting standards is a nice idea, I am really frustrated by all the other manufacturers who have no intention to supply EVs with infrastructure allowing inter-city travel. They are all targeting local city-driving only.

Agreed 100%, and I wrote Ownership with the same concerns. If they really want to advance EV adoption they should support common standards for L2 and make the stations available to all EVs. They could still get the branding benefits and use their own hardware by putting a J1772 plug on an HPWC - not hard to do.

I think the European HPWC isn't released yet but is expected to arrive before the end of this year. Is that correct? I wonder if it will be compatible with other EVs. Because the European HPWC will already have the Mennekes plug, it will be really annoying for other EV owners if they arrive at a hotel and can't charge. I hope Tesla doesn't do that.

Isn't that what Henry's CanII is all about?

He's running into compatibility issues, which is one of the risks of using adapters with proprietary plugs. Plus this is bigger issue than just Roadsters- long range Leafs and Volts are coming, and those owners will rightly be pissed when they pull into a hotel and find a Tesla-only L2 station. The elitism doesn't put Tesla in a good light, and runs counter to their mission of furthering EV adoption.

Sorry to hear of compatibility issues. Reminds me of Schneider's implementation of J1772 where they would not modify their handshake to allow Roadster usage.

Clipper Creek's J1772 is of course 100% with Roadsters and MSen.

Ideally a 3rd party like Sun Country could infest North America with Clipper Creek 100A beauties without raising anyone's hackles. Wish, hope, dream.

Sun Country does have at least one charger in US at Syracuse NY if I recall correctly.
--

That's an odd statement... I would say "lots". I've seen several Leafs at hotels I've been to. Case in point... I have an off-site overnight executive meeting in a couple of weeks at a hotel about 40 miles from where I work and about 75 miles from my home. They do happen to have J1772 charging. I can do that in my Tesla without actually needing the charger at the hotel, but if I drove a Leaf, it would be absolutely necessary. I know several Leaf owners who travel to meetings, conferences etc. at hotels, and even for a day, they need charging to get home.

- - - Updated - - -

..but my question to you is are other EV car manufacturers contributing in installing these super chargers? Just wondering

In Canada, Sun Country Highway donated a ton of high power chargers for free to businesses who would agree to install them and provide charging for free. That program is now over, but yes, others are doing this. Sun Country now has a program to allow an individual or group of individuals sponsor a charger for public placement as well.

The number one reason is by supporting J1772, one also supports the abortion known as Frankenplug. Tesla clearly has a much better connector(by light years), which supports level 1/2/3 in one swoop. I for one, don't want to see any more crippled J1772 stations, which don't do EV adoption any good.

- - - Updated - - -

The elitism doesn't put Tesla in a good light, and runs counter to their mission of furthering EV adoption.
This is not about being elite, it's about having a competent standard. Slow charging isn't going to further EV's. Most people(including myself), won't bother to settle for mediocre cars/charging stations.

Just wondering what happens when Tesla is cranking out 100K Model S and Model X's a year and those supercharger slots are filled everywhere you go? Thats going to suck. They better put superchargers everywhere or double the spaces in high volume areas. In the San Juan Capistrano location it is almost always full and some people have waited for 1-2 hours just to get a charge! Ridiculous

I for one, don't want to see any more crippled J1772 stations, which don't do EV adoption any good.

Not arguing that the Tesla connector isn't good... I'm just saying that Tesla HPWCs only work with some Teslas (i.e. not Roadsters) and the J1772 type work with all. Why is a 100 amp J1772 "crippled" compared to a 100 amp HPWC???