Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM radio reception

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we took delivery of our P85 almost 1 month ago we noticed that we were getting an error msg while trying to receive XM radio stations. We brought the car into service and they said the antenna was not hooked up. So they, I believe, replaced the rear window, connected the XM antenna and let the glue cure overnight. This of course solved the problem of reception, however I've noticed that all the XM stations cut out frequently with a hissing sound and then come back on about 2-3 seconds later. This is very annoying as you can imagine. Yesterday, I pulled my Escalade and my P85 side by side and compared XM radio reception. The Escalade's XM radio never cut out during the 10 minute test while the P85's XM radio which was dialed into the same NFL channel cut out continuously. I switched channels several times and received the same results. Has anyone experienced this situation?

the XM radio reception I find is quite poor. I listen to XM 95% of the time and find it spotty at best. It gets worse as I travel to more rural areas but also have trouble on open highway. Service says its a know problem but no fix. My BMW sat radio is not like this.

In theory almost anything can be added at a price. I would try getting the Sirius/XM app and pipe XM from your smartphone first.

Yeah, "at a price" already figured that, I'm just wondering if it's possible. The rear facing seats can be added, but only to VINs below a certain number (presumably because bracing is no longer a standard installation). The red brake calipers can be added, but parts alone cost $2,500.00, who knows what labor would cost.

Unless I want to pay up, using the Sirius/XM app with MS or driving the Volt are the only real options. It would be nice to see satellite radio added as a standard feature in the future.

I've had the cell app, for Sirius XM, in the past and it was always buggy. It buffers segments of the XM shows, and frequently cuts back to replaying 5, or 10 minutes at a time, as if in a loop. I don't recommend cell phone Sirius, unless someone can relate <1yr old experience with it working consistently. Ideal would be a dedicated Sirius XM install (really not THAT hard), with a receiver that could blue tooth the signal to the Tesla (no behind the dash work). It is the blue tooth'ing back to the Tesla that I'm less sure of (like a phone, but without its loops, or the car's dropouts). I'm no expert, but believe independent BT transmitters may be out there, that can accept a 1/8" input jack. Sounds complex, but could be a "one and done" solution for satellite junkies (I like the news, not wild about toilet audio compression).