Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Bush Presidential Libraries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TexasEV

Jun 5, 2013
Austin, TX
The George Bush Library and Museum in College Station has a Clipper Creek EVSE in the parking lot, many rows away from the building. There is no sign but it's easy to spot and not likely to be ICEd as it's the opposite of a prime parking space. It's only 30A rather than one of the high-amp Clipper Creek models, but I was happy to use it when visiting the museum last month as charging options in College Station are so limited.

Today we visited the George W. Bush Library and Museum in Dallas. I knew from Plugshare there was no destination charging there, but I was surprised to find 10 prime parking spaces were marked with "Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Reserved Parking" signs. What's the point of reserving EV parking if there is no charging available? Any why hybrids? It may make someone think they're being environmentally friendly or whatever but it accomplishes nothing if there is no place to plug in. It even may backfire as ICE drivers get annoyed when it appears EV drivers are getting preferential parking. Actually 8 of the 10 spaces were occupied by regular ICEs, only 2 had hybrids and no EVs. But who cares as there weren't charging stations there anyway?

Upon returning to Austin this evening I emailed the center saying that EV charging stations are needed to support their mission of sustainability, rather than preferential parking for EVs. We'll see what kind of response I get. It's ironic that Bush 41 was the oilman and his library has EV charging, but the Bush 43 library doesn't.

They're not on Plugshare and I couldn't find anything about EV charging on the SMU website either. If they exist someone should publicize them.
We charged at Northpark Center HPWC for a few hours yesterday and I helped out at the Tesla gallery. Amazing amount of people walking into that store compared to Austin. Per square foot it was much busier than the Apple store.

Today we visited the George W. Bush Library and Museum in Dallas. I knew from Plugshare there was no destination charging there, but I was surprised to find 10 prime parking spaces were marked with "Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Reserved Parking" signs. What's the point of reserving EV parking if there is no charging available? Any why hybrids? QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it has to do with LEED certification, where you get a certain number of points for such parking spots. The language is something along the lines of "Hybrid or alternative fuel vehicle parking preferred" or something, and it's not legally enforceable. It sounded good back in the day, but is rather outdated now that EV adoption is growing.

The only reason the George Bush Library and Museum in College Station has a charger is because it was needed for an early VIP visitor (my guess Gore). It broke almost immediately afterwards and was broken for a long time until I finally browbeat them into fixing it. I recommended the Clipper Creek 100 to replace the crappy GE charger that broke, but the wiring (despite being new) wouldn't support the higher amps, so they went with the lower amp version. Still a much better charger than what was there originally so hopefully it will last a lot longer.

Like I have said before, I think Tesla is surprised by the Dallas market's enthusiasm for the car.

If true, Tesla needs to start drinking a little bit of their own Kool-Aid. The Model S has broad appeal independent of being an EV. It appeals to people like me who just want the best sedan, period. Sure, the elegance of the EV drivetrain appeals to me as an engineer, it's fun to be an early adopter, and I'm glad it's good for the planet -- but that's not why I bought it. I would have had zero interest in a bleeding-edge super-green vehicle that compromised on performance, range, safety, or basic modern amenities like USB, iPhone integration, real trunk space, etc. (We need to talk about the cup holder situation, but hey, nobody's perfect.) That's what makes the Model S a breakthrough vehicle: it is a huge step toward making EVs mainstream. Tesla was brilliant to go after the luxury market first, because they've now established that an EV can be something normal people lust after. If they get it right, the Model 3 will be absolutely huge -- because everyone who admires the Model S but just can't afford to drop $100k on a car will flock to it. And as we all know from our Tesla Moments, there are many, many such people.

If true, Tesla needs to start drinking a little bit of their own Kool-Aid. The Model S has broad appeal independent of being an EV. It appeals to people like me who just want the best sedan, period. Sure, the elegance of the EV drivetrain appeals to me as an engineer, it's fun to be an early adopter, and I'm glad it's good for the planet -- but that's not why I bought it. I would have had zero interest in a bleeding-edge super-green vehicle that compromised on performance, range, safety, or basic modern amenities like USB, iPhone integration, real trunk space, etc.

+1

i love not adding pollution to our air and I love that I'm not sending money to oil rich nations but the Model S is so awesome that I would drive it even if it ran only on unicorn tears.

The parking spots with chargers are located in SMU's Moody garage on the first floor (south side near the grass field). However, I believe you need to have a valid SMU Parking permit in order to not get ticketed while parking there.

There is also a couple of parking spots with chargers (not sure what type, but not NEMA 14-50) under the SMU Meadows museum.