Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motorized steering wheel problems when changing between profiles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys/gals, I'm just wondering if anyone else is seeing the problem I'm running into...

I have an exit profile and my driving profile. Exit is just like it sounds, a setting so the steering wheel gets out of my way so I can get my 6'2" 275lb self in/out of the car... My driving profile are all the same settings, the only difference is the steering wheel is pulled closer to me and down more in my lap (I tend to hold onto the bottom of the steering wheel cruising)

Anyhow, when switching between profiles I'm starting to see my steering wheel either not move at all, or the steering wheel will return to a position, but it is typically NOT where I set it...

Example, changing from my driving profile to exit, the steering wheel will motorize up, but not collapse all the way in towards the dash... it stops a good bit short. I then have to manually move it into the dash all the way, then re-save the profile.

When changing from exit to my driver setup, the steering wheel often does not come all the way back out to where I set it- only part way... Then I have to manually adjust it to where I saved it last, then re-save.

Another strange thing to add... Whenever it stops short of where it should be and I have to manually adjust it- the manual adjustments can't be done by holding the control forward or backward like normal. No, it will move a little and stop... so I have to basically keep telling it to come closer to me using the adjustment level (center/neutral, then towards me, center-neutral, then towards me...repeat over and over) moving in very small increments until it finally gets to the correct position. This is abnormal behavior because normally when you use the adjustment lever, the motor will continually move in the direction you push it until it hits the outside range of where it will go... it doesn't normally make you move in smaller, individual adjustments like that...

I plan to get a youtube video of it, because I described it to my SC the best I could but they said that it wasn't doing it for them... which could be true, it doesn't always do it... this is something that started sporadic and occasional and now has become over 75-80% of the time it does it now.

It is worth noting that it go through these strange behaviors even when I'm sitting still, in park and haven't put the car into gear yet... Some have asked if I'm trying to switch between profiles while driving... I USED to do that when I was moving at slow speeds (backing straight out or into my garage) but stopped thinking it might be causing or exacerbating the problem. Now it does it sitting dead still...

Reboots to the center screen in the past have seemed to help for a half day or so, but then it goes right back to the old behavior.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Have you tried rebooting the centre display? (and perhaps the small display). That's the usual first thing to do when there is odd behaviour.
Yeah... It seemed to help a couple of times, but the resolution is temporary. It always comes back very quickly. It seems more like the motor is sensing resistance than it being a software problem. There's also occasionally a fairly loud and quick creak that makes me think it's getting bound up somehow

I'm not very good diagnosing problems like this, but by any chance do you use the steering wheel for leveage when you adjust your body position in the drivers seat?

You're definitely on the right track I think. I thought about this being a possibility and now make a conscious effort NOT to use the steering wheel as leverage when I get in or out... but I didn't start doing that until the problems started... which wasn't the wheel refusing to get into the correct profile position, but rather just odd creaks and groans when it moved that seemed louder than they should be.. that's how it started... noises then this

Yeah... It seemed to help a couple of times, but the resolution is temporary. It always comes back very quickly. It seems more like the motor is sensing resistance than it being a software problem. There's also occasionally a fairly loud and quick creak that makes me think it's getting bound up somehow

Sounds like it's time for an appointment with the local SC.