Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New traffic colors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrComputer

TeslaClubLA President
Jan 29, 2009
Sherman Oaks, CA
Is my mind playing tricks on me or have the maps now changed traffic colors. There used to be green, yellow, red and dashed-red. Now there doesn't seem to be dashed red anymore but it seems to have been replaced with solid orange and solid red. Anyone else notice this change?

Is my mind playing tricks on me or have the maps now changed traffic colors. There used to be green, yellow, red and dashed-red. Now there doesn't seem to be dashed red anymore but it seems to have been replaced with solid orange and solid red. Anyone else notice this change?

I believe the solid green yellow red become dotted when you zoom into the map. It's always been that way.

This seems to be a change in the last couple of days. No more dashed lines, they're all solid (I never saw them solid before). I had to turn "traffic" off at the car show yesterday because it's very hard to see the grey dots with the new style lines. Now if only they would make the text larger.

I did notice the colors looking different a few days ago - despite the lack of a software update. I wonder how they could have made changes without an update?
The most likely explanation is Google made a change or upgraded to a new version of map software on their end, i.e. to whatever server(s) provide map images to Tesla vehicles. Strictly speaking, there probably WAS a software update, but it was all on the server side, so nothing had to change in firmware. Just like going to maps.google.com (or, frankly, nearly any web site) on your desktop/laptop browser and seeing a change from one day to the next.
And for what it's worth, I noticed the new traffic colors a couple days ago too. No more dashed lines at all. Now it's all solid: green, yellow/orange, bright red, and dark red.

I think the traffic overlay comes in as realtime data so if Tesla or Google changed the overlay colors this wouldn't require a software update. I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this change. The new colors have nothing to do with zoom level of the map. They are all solid with orange as a new color regardless of the zoom level.

I noticed the change last Thursday.

I used to keep my map on the furthest zoom out that still showed traffic on city streets, but only showed red and yellow, not green. If you zoomed out further, traffic was only shown on freeways, and if you zoomed in a few steps further you also got green on city streets. Was a nice easy way to go back to my "default" zoom level when I needed zoom out or in. I'll miss that...

Now the green lines are always on the city streets -- and only blank when no data is avail...

Something Interesting is Going On . . .

After being on travel the past two weeks, I too just noticed a difference in the Google Map coloring (solids, no dashes and brighter colors). On closer look, they are now using at least two shades of red, and no longer seeing the dashed red / black (not sure how this is better given how close the two shades are). Now for the who's "they" . . . I ran a quick test to compare the Tesla Google map to the Internet-based Google map and, well, you be the judge . . . is the difference on the Google end, or the Tesla end, or is there a Google server just for Tesla? Inquiring minds . . .

Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg

Notice that the Internet version still uses the red / black dashed line for heavy traffic!

I also noticed 2 shades of red. The darker / more maroon one seems to mean "traffic is stopped or crawling very slow". The brighter one is just "very slow". Yellow seems to be slowing -- and I see brake lights near the start of the yellow section...