Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incredible "fan" noise during supercharging and a/c on in tropical climate.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I have visited several SC's and am using a local Supercharger regularly. In 90 degree weather.

I have noticed that when running the A/C and charging up that there is an incredible sound coming from the frunk. Like a motor? Or blower?

When I turn the A/C off, it slows down.

When I, moments later, turn the air back on it practically fades to 0. But then within a few seconds, returns. Is this normal?

I hope you're not using your local supercharger in lieu of home charging. That's not the intent of the SCs.

With respect, how do you know Tesla's intent? Superchargers are available to anyone who paid for the privilege. There is no such restriction as you imply. I don't think anyone other than Tesla is qualified to interpret Tesla's "intent". I suggest that it's probably more sensible to rely on what Tesla puts in writing rather than an abstract interpretation colored by our own perceptions.

Wow the hostility, presumptiveness on this forum!

"andrewket", not that it's any of your business, but my out of state friend only has a 110v. So, yes, I am using a SC regularly while visiting. Satisfied?

I am aware that it is not "kosher" to use an SC instead of home charging from an owners perspective ... thank you.

AmpedRealtor ... it's common courtesy ...

With respect, how do you know Tesla's intent? Superchargers are available to anyone who paid for the privilege. There is no such restriction as you imply. I don't think anyone other than Tesla is qualified to interpret Tesla's "intent". I suggest that it's probably more sensible to rely on what Tesla puts in writing rather than an abstract interpretation colored by our own perceptions.

We know Tesla's intent because the CEO of the company on any number of occasions has explained that it was for long-distance travel not really for locals to monopolize.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobertF
Look, different owners have different needs. Some can't install a home charger. Others need destination charging. The superchargers are there for all to use. If Tesla felt differently, they would be very clear and specifically disallow this use. When I purchased the supercharger option, for instance, it did not say that the use would be limited to long distance travel or that I could not use a supercharger within X miles of my home. If Tesla intended those restrictions to exist, they would have been explicit about them the same way they are explicit about warranty coverages and exclusions.

Tesla is a $33 billion company, they are capable of formulating these restrictions if they exist. But they don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobertF
Agree that since there are no enforced restrictions on SC usage there is only common convention and recommendation. It seems self-limiting to me. For the little SOC I need to recover on most days it would not be worth my time to drive to an SC vs. home charging. For those that really need it more power to you. For those that think saving a few dollars on power is a win I feel sorry for them.

Wow the hostility, presumptiveness on this forum!

"andrewket", not that it's any of your business, but my out of state friend only has a 110v. So, yes, I am using a SC regularly while visiting. Satisfied?

I am aware that it is not "kosher" to use an SC instead of home charging from an owners perspective ... thank you.

AmpedRealtor ... it's common courtesy ...

Ergh, sorry, didn't intend to start this debate over. Enjoy your trip.

On a pretty Hot SoCal day, I was doing a quick SC and had the A/C on as well, and I experienced this on my screen:
I've only done 5-6 SC's and this was the 1st/Only time I've seen it.
So I Guess not only the fans can really spool up, the car will divert all of the cooling to the batteries as needed. (which is what I would expect)
IMG_8369.JPG

Recently I have visited several SC's and am using a local Supercharger regularly. In 90 degree weather.

I have noticed that when running the A/C and charging up that there is an incredible sound coming from the frunk. Like a motor? Or blower?

When I turn the A/C off, it slows down.

When I, moments later, turn the air back on it practically fades to 0. But then within a few seconds, returns. Is this normal?

Yes, it's absolutely normal.

On a pretty Hot SoCal day, I was doing a quick SC and had the A/C on as well, and I experienced this on my screen:
I've only done 5-6 SC's and this was the 1st/Only time I've seen it.
So I Guess not only the fans can really spool up, the car will divert all of the cooling to the batteries as needed. (which is what I would expect)

Interesting... you mention the car "diverting all of the cooling to the batteries"... so did you also notice that the cabin A/C was diminished/disabled?