Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Look Into The Future - Tesla Bums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Supercharging free forever, aluminum construction, and almost no maintenance required, will Tesla enable a whole new generation of vagabond/hobo/tramp/bum?

Imagine in 20 years you can buy a trashed Model S for $5,000, 2034 money. If you wanted to be a modern hippie you could make a bed in the back of a Model S, store your stuff in the frunk, and camp in climate controlled comfort. It is kind of a funny thought, but it could really happen.
The only consistent cost would be insurance, which would be low by then and a lot of people don't buy it anyway.

Will the Model S replace the VW Bus?

Will Superchargers have groups of bums (I actually use that term with some level of envy) that set up camp nearby?

Another question is what finally takes a Model S off the road. The electric drive, aluminum construction and free Supercharging forever makes me think that a 2014 Model S could realistically be on the road 50 years from now serving as a daily driver.

With Supercharging free forever, aluminum construction, and almost no maintenance required, will Tesla enable a whole new generation of vagabond/hobo/tramp/bum?

I posted this very same concern in the Charging Standards & Infrastructure forum: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/31598-Sociology-and-the-Supercharger-Nomad

I call this potential group of people "Supercharger Nomads":

Right now, the high cost of a Tesla is a barrier to entry of sorts, but what happens 20 or 30 years into the future? Imagine a world where EVs are no more expensive than ICEs are today, and where the secondary market is flooded with used Model S and X automobiles. These cars are built like tanks and their frames could last much longer than even your average Honda or Toyota. Bands of wandering people could buy these inexpensive Tesla cars and convert them for use in a new mobile lifestyle.

With Supercharging being "free for life" of the vehicle, it would be relatively easy to live off the grid. Teslas could be converted into small mobile homes, and groups of Teslas could form caravans of travelers. Getting to cold? Head south to Georgia or west to Arizona for the season. Need to run a TV or computer or osmotic water purifier? The huge battery has you covered. How will Tesla Motors cope with the rise of Nomads and Nomadic use of Tesla assets? How will normal society cope if the Supercharger networks become clogged with roving bands of Tuskan Sand People, Jawas, and Crazy Old Wizards? I think Tesla's "secret plan" will win, but I think the Supercharger network will bring some surprises to out civilization.

The obvious problem is that the Supercharger stations become congested with numerous Nomad vehicles, and that other people won't be able to easily use them for long-distance travel. In 20-30 years, this may not be an issue of Supercharging technology becomes so ubiquitous that one can find 3rd party charging stations like a ChargePoint that requires payment. There's just no way to know what exactly will happen, but I hope that Tesla has some contingency plan.

As to what takes a Model S off the road: Severe accidents that damage the frame beyond repair. Aluminum can also develop stress cracks (aircraft come to mind), but I don't know how many decades of driving it would take to damage a Model S frame. Availability of compatible electronics could be an issue, although it's inevitable that people will use salvage parts for repair, or even retrofit new powertrain control systems into old frames.

Batteries are also a limiting factor as they don't last forever. However, I expect that if EVs go mainstream and Gigafactories become as common a chip fabs, there will be a 3rd party industry in selling refurb packs at a reasonable price.