Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014083195175352.jpg

And can I use it with my UMC? Obviously I'm going to have to build an adapter, i don't see anything that'll fit on Tesla's site.

The NEMA 6-20, commonly referred to as an "air-conditioner receptacle" is found in most hotels and motels as well as residential applications. This $30 (WELL LABELED) custom 240V ended adapter along with an un-adulterated 120V 5-20 terminated 12AWG extension cord and a Tesla 5-20 UMC adapter will net you approx 12mi/hr charge rate and the S will automatically pre-set the charge limit @ 240V 16A without any manual intervention. The Tesla UMC 5-20 adapter is my favorite multi-purpose adapter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,046
Last edited:
My daughter's condo has one of these 6-20 conveniently located in their garage. I purchased a converter to an L6-30R , then used a 240v extension cord with L6-30R plug and socket. The final touch was making a 14-50 female adapter

NEMA 6-20P to L6-30R Plug Adapter Power Cord | 1 Foot, 20A, 250

or Amazon.com : Conntek 30113 Locking Adapter 20 Amp 250 Volt Male Plug To 20 Amp Locking Female Connector (NEMA 6-20P to NEMA L6-20R) : Electric Plugs : Patio, Lawn Garden

Extension cords
Amazon.com: L6-20 Extension Cord, 25 Foot, 20A, 250V, 12/3 AWG - Iron Box Part # IBX-4803-25: Electronics

Materials to make a 6-20P to 14-50 adapter. I cut off the female part of the wire, and and wired up the 14-30 receptacle.

Amazon.com: Camco 55353 50 AMP Female Replacement Receptacle: Automotive
Amazon.com: SF Cable, 8ft NEMA L6-20P to C19, 12/3 SJT (20A 250V): Electronics

I can pull about 17amp at 240 without blowing the circuit breaker. I have it extensively labeled as "Tesla Only" and 240v x 17 amp .

It's not the worlds fastest charge, but its WAY faster than 110v.

Materials to make a 6-20P to 14-30 adapter. I cut off the female part of the wire, and and wired up the 14-30 receptacle.

There is no way to properly wire a NEMA 6 series plug to a NEMA 14 series receptacle, because the NEMA 6 series is missing the necessary neutral conductor - the Tesla will charge fine on it, of course, because it doesn't need neutral. Just a word of caution to those who would make one, you can burn up any appliances other than a Tesla that might be connected to the NEMA 14 series adapter. Always mark adapter cords like this "for Tesla charging only" and "may destroy other devices". See the FAQ (in my signature below) for more information.

The marking in the photo above shows a great way to mark them.

You can pull 16A continuous current at 240V from this 6-20 plug.

The best way to use this is to make a 6-20 to 5-20 adapter and then use Tesla's 5-20 adapter with the UMC. Doing it this way means you can use the adapter setup without having to remember to set proper amperage draw settings since the 6-20 and 5-20 deliver the same amps (20).

At the bottom the page about the 6-20, this document describes one way how to make this adapter.

http://cosmacelf.net/Home%20Made%20Adapters.pdf

You can pull 16A continuous current at 240V from this 6-20 plug.

The best way to use this is to make a 6-20 to 5-20 adapter and then use Tesla's 5-20 adapter with the UMC. Doing it this way means you can use the adapter setup without having to remember to set proper amperage draw settings since the 6-20 and 5-20 deliver the same amps (20).

At the bottom the page about the 6-20, this document describes one way how to make this adapter.

http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf

great info everyone. Now the question is, will my jesla and rav4 charge right on it .. Ha

Last edited:
great info everyone. Now the question is, will my jesla and rav4 charge right on it .. Ha

One additional tip: if you don't know what the outlet is it's worth confirming which breaker the circuit is on, turn off the power, remove the faceplate and just check the wiring standard behind the outlet. You want to make sure it wasn't installed incompetently before you start drawing power through it.