Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

East Bay to Tenayna Lodge Yosemite-Can I make it in my 85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the place. I'm in Lafayette so a little further. Maybe going down to Fremont then over is the way to go. I'll have to check the mileage on EVTrip. Just checked -238 miles from Fremont so it does save 10 miles. I'll have to decide how close I want to cut it. Just looking to see if anyone can tell me how accurate EV Trip is for that leg. Maybe I'll go through Gilroy but it adds an hour.

Larry, using the Apple maps app on my iPad I get 192 miles from Lafayette to Tenaya Lodge. Of course there is an altitude gain, I think it is around 3K feet. So that will eat up another 30 miles of range.

Since you own an S85 and you said you can range charge to 255 miles then the trip should be possible, though I would limit your highway speed to 65 just to have a buffer.

Am I missing something?

Note: from the Gilroy Supercharger to Tenaya is only 151 miles. Easy trip.

Which route will you be taking? Will you be going through Madera and then up to Fish Camp? Or will you be going across SR120 through the park or down SR49 to Oakhurst and avoid the park?

In Groveland just east of the 120/49 junction there is a hotel with a HPWC. You could stop there for lunch and add 50-60 miles (with dual chargers), or half that with single.

Oakhurst also has a few charging spots for that last 15-mile haul that is mostly uphill.

In Groveland just east of the 120/49 junction there is a hotel with a HPWC. You could stop there for lunch and add 50-60 miles (with dual chargers), or half that with single.
Oakhurst also has a few charging spots for that last 15-mile haul that is mostly uphill.

Thanks I didn't know about the HPWC at the Groveland Hotel. I see it is listed on Plugshare.

Groveland is not on the most direct route for Larry to get to Tenaya, it is rather put of the way. However, it is only 128 miles from Lafayette. So Larry if you are concerned about making it to Tenaya from your house without stopping to charge, that HPWC is certainly worth considering.

Do you have dual chargers in your S? If you do that will let you use the max HPWC charge rate.

I have never used any of the charging places in Oakhurst that are listed on Plugshare. I suggest you read the info on each in Plugshare very carefully, they are not all very reliable.

I have used one in nearby Awahnee at the Homestead Cottages but that is for guests only.

Last edited:
Larry,

I live in Fresno, so I don't venture to Yosemite/Fish Camp from the East Bay. The "Google Maps" route you selected is likely the shortest off the top of my head, but there are a half dozen alternate routes to take to reach your destination at Fish Camp.

In my opinion your choice of routes should be determined by what your plans are for your journey. If you will be visiting Yosemite, the entrance fee of $20 is good for seven days (it is free if you are >62 and purchased the lifetime pass for ten bucks.) The trip up SR120 into the foothills and then into the Park at Crane Flat is much prettier and scenic than traveling down SR99 and then east on SR140 to Mariposa. You won't be competing with all the trucks, and we are in the middle of almond harvest and hulling, so those guys are ubiquitous!

If time is essential, then 99 is faster, but you will likely have to watch your speed (and the trucks!) to arrive safely. I believe the fairgrounds in Mariposa has some 50A plugs, so you might wish to contact them to see if you could plug in for 90 minutes to get another 45 miles or so of range to be safe!

Hope you have fun!

Going for a CE conference but we will be able to enjoy the afternoons. I do believe I am going to give it a shot and see if I can get there. I can hopefully pull a few electrons in Oakhurst if needed before going up the hill or go 120 and stop in Groveland for the HPWC and have lunch, which seems like the more scenic way to go. We are in no hurry so will most likely go 120. Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
For those who might be looking at staying at Tenaya Lodge and wondering about the charging situation: I'm currently staying there for 3 nights. Charged last night. Could only pull 30A from the charger (not a Tesla HPWC) for a rate of around 18mph. I asked the guy who turned it on for me how many amps it was rated at and he didn't know. But it is working fine.