Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration vs percived GForce

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I normally can answer those answer by myself, but I'm confused for some reason on this one !

Let say we have 3 car. One that does 0-100kph in :
A: 4 second
B: 5 second
C: 6 second

Would the actual difference force perceived between the B-C and A-B be the same, or the A-B would feel much more.

So is the acceleration calculated in time from 0-100 offer an linear g-force difference or it exponential as the time decrease ?

As you probably guessed, it to decide if the P85 would be worth it feeling wise, or the S85 would be just fine and save some hard earned cash !

From a web search of "feel of g force compared to acceleration":
RobM77 said:
A g force is an acceleration force. Because the feeling of gravity is the same as the feeling of acceleration (Einstein's Equivalence Principle), when we're sat on the surface of the earth (as we all are now), we're said to feel "1g". This is equivalent to an acceleration of about 10m/s/s (so if you accelerate from rest to 10m/s in 1 second, you feel "1G", or perhaps to 30m/s in 3 seconds, 40m/s in 4 seconds etc). Incidentally, the usual analogy of the equivalence principle is that a man in deep space accelerating upwards in a lift at 10m/s/s wouldn't feel any different to a man sat still on the earth. Using this, you can easily work out the "g force" of any acceleration (it's actually 9.81m/s/s if you want to be more accurate), by just dividing the change in speed in m/s by how long it took, and then to get the g force, divide by 10, or 9.81. Don't quote me on this, but I think 0-60 in about 3 seconds is 1g (edited to say: stated below as 2.74s). Most road cars will pull approaching 1g in braking and cornering, because that's the frictional limit of your average road tyre against your average tarmac (probably the reason most road cars don't dip below 3 seconds 0-60...). Typically, a normal road car or motorbike will get up to about 0.7-0.8g, and something like an Elise may just about breach 1G. That's in cornering and braking. American magazines test this for cars, so you can find this info on the web. Junior level single seaters such as I race will get around 2-3g, thanks to very soft slick tyres (they give their best after about 40-50 miles...) and modest downforce. Incidentally with only 350-400bhp/tonne (the same as a Caterham R400), a Formula Renault will do 0-100mph in 4.9 seconds, such is the grip on offer!). Formula One cars can pull up to 5G. When g is experienced downwards or upwards, such as when banking hard in a fighter jet, the blood rushes away from or towards your head, causing black-out or red-out. I think the limit for most fighter pilots is about 7-8g, but correct me if I'm wrong. People vary enormously in their tolerance of vertical g, and the soviets actually select their pilots early on in training based on this criteria. I'm terrible, and blackout if I stand up too fast! Obviously the cars I race though only pull g from side to side and front to back, so I'm ok, provided my neck muscles are strong enough. Personally, I love lateral g; there's nothing quite like the feeling of cornering at over 100mph - at Snet I'm taking Coram flat at about 115mph which is great smile I'd love to try a higher downforce car like an F3.

HTH
How many G's does a car pull under acceleration? - PistonHeads

- - - Updated - - -

As you probably guessed, it to decide if the P85 would be worth it feeling wise, or the S85 would be just fine and save some hard earned cash !
If finances are a significant concern (only you can decide), then get the S85 and you'll love it.
If you have some "fun" money to work with (finances have some breathing room), the P85 is even more addictive.

Not sure I helped, but the main point is that you'll love either vehicle. I don't "miss" the P when I get an S85 loaner. Heck, even an S60 loaner (I've never driven a 40/60 ... hint hint beg ....) is a better loaner vehicle than anything Enterprise has in their fleet, IMO.

Assuming constant acceleration, a = Delta v/Delta t. Convert km/h to m/s, and divide by g = 9.8 m/s^2 to get g's of acceleration. Since I'm waiting for a very long download to complete, I did the math for you: :biggrin:

A: 0.71 g
B: 0.57 g
C: 0.47 g

The acceleration won't be uniform, though. As you speed up, air resistance will be working the other way, and the car's acceleration will decrease. But, my download is now complete, and I don't have to time to do the differential equations. :redface:

So....I'll use 60mph instead of 100kph.

Car 1: From 0 to 60mph in 4s (assuming constant acceleration) = 88ft/s in 4s or 22ft/s^2 of acceleration
Car 2: From 0 to 60mph in 5s (assuming constant acceleration) = 88ft/s in 5s or 17.6ft/s^2 of acceleration
Car 3: From 0 to 60mph in 6s (assuming constant acceleration) = 88ft/s in 6s or 14.6ft/s^2 of acceleration

The acceleration due to gravity (G-Force) is 32ft/s^2 so we have:

Car 1: .68 g
Car 2: .55 g
Car 3: .45 g

You'll notice that the G-force starts dropping more and more rapidly due to the fact that we're using ratios and linear changes in time reflect exponentially.

The big Tesla grin comes to a large degree from the instantaneous acceleration of the 1 speed motor applying the torque to the wheels. The assumption of constant acceleration in the calculations does not take the difference in the initial acceleration of a Tesla Model S (any of the models) compared to a normal ICE. My Lexus LS460L has exactly the same 0-60 time spec as my Model S85. However, the acceleration characteristics are completely different, a big grin with a Tesla, not so much with a Lexus. As far as the differences among the S85, P85 and P85+, I would just do a test drive to see whether it is worth it to you.

Thanks Guys, you guys answered my question ! Made this small graph :
gforcegraph.png

So starting at 6second and down, the increase start to be considerable more. Is the diff between worth while... Ok maybe this info doesn't help me much ! :) I'll hope to be able to do a S85 and a P85 model test drive close together !

S85 torque is 440 Nm from 0-5900 rpm, P85 torque is 600 Nm from 0-5300 rpm.
G force of the P85 is 600/440 = 1.36 times G force of the S85 (from 0-5300 rpm).
So off the line this is quite a difference, except when driving on wet roads. Above 5300 rpm the difference gets smaller.
My experience is that above 50mph (from 6.500 rpm) the difference in acceleration between P85 and S85 is marginal.
I drive a S85 for 9 months now and I am still impressed by its acceleration.
If you like a comfortable ride: don't go for 21 inch wheels.

Also, the way the drive by wire is programmed to respond to inputs differs between the S and P. Just take an S and then a P from 0-60mph and notice how the S reaches 320kW only around 45mph and the P ramps up much sooner. So the P's 'gas' response is programmed much more aggressive.