Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shopping Malls with Designated EV/Hybrids Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I goto a mall, I tend to park farther away because there's less chances of people dinging up my car by 'accident'.

So I'm starting to compile a list of locations that have designated parking for EV/Hybrid parking.

My list is short, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

BTW, I'm in Toronto, ON, so most of these malls with be regions specific.

Hillcrest Mall - Hybrid/EV parking. Enter off of Yonge, near the Target - 2 spots
Yorkdale Mall - Hybrid/EV Parking, 5-6 spots. 5-6 designated spots for Tesla - Undeground P1.

When I go to a mall, I like to park far away, because I love the extra walking, just love to walk.
The Vaughn Mills Mall has 2 designated EV/Hybrid parking at the Holt-Renfrew entrance.
Unfortunately, the security at the Vaughn Mills informed me there is no by-law to inhibit those otherwise to park at the EV space.
It is merely a common courtesy, and sadly, the same applied to the handicapped parking.

I also park far from the door and from other cars wherever possible. I don't look for "EV only" parking spots because they would tend to be in a busier part of the lot. Also, it doesn't seem right to me that I should have special rights to park closer just because I drive an EV. I'd prefer for people to see EVs as "normal". (Of course, I'm not counting charging spaces - that's not parking.)

Sheppard Centre (Young & Sheppard) has 2 EV chargers (L2) in the underground parking lot close to the entrance.
You do need to pay for the parking, and need to use credit card to activate the charger, but it did not charge me anything
when I used it once (was there for about 2 hours charging my iMiev at 3.3kW).

Bramalea City Center mall has EV spots too with free to use L2 charger -- East side parking lot Off Lisa street:
Bramalea City Centre | Free Electric Vehicle Charging Station at Bramalea City Centre

Last edited:
Update for the xmas season:

Vaughan Mills now has 2 EV/Hybrid/Zipcar/Car Pool Members at every entrance. Was there yesterday.. got iced by an Audi Q5 from the New York.
Parking at 5A (near the Nike store, in the new 'wing' of the mall) has 4 charging spots. I asked Guest Services, if you're ICED at the charging spots, they can get their car "moved". The other spots are just courtesy spots.

At my local Wally World (Eglinton near Markham in Scarb) there are spots for hybrids, see below, but not EVs. Can I park my Tesla there? A Tesla isn't a hybrid.

6a00d8341bf8f353ef0177448453e6970d.jpg.size.xxxlarge.promo.jpg

That parking sign is really outdated. So last century...

We have a new movie theater in Napa. Lots of EV spaces marked, chargers are (thankfully) along the far edge of the lot.

Every EV space near the entrance is always ICEd. It's a nice thought, but totally worthless. I was trying to swing wide to pull into an EV spot when a girl in a SUV zipped in from a cross drive. I pointed out that her car wasn't electric, and she said, "So?" I began to point out that the space said "EV only", but I saw that it was pointless. Everybody feels that any space is legal. Spaces labeled "Compact only" have Suburbans in them. The only spaces people don't diss are the handicapped ones, which, as you know, are clearly marked and heavily fined.

They may have done it to get points towards LEED "green building" designation (or a Canadian equivalent if it doesn't apply there). It's a really misguided criteria in giving points for that or EV parking. What should matter are charging spaces, not parking spaces. Perhaps Cattledog would like to comment on this LEED issue if he reads this thread?

LEED does exist in Canada as well. The office complex where I work has two EV charging stations. One of these is used by a colleague who has a Volt - he comes in to work VERY early. The other is generally used by someone else in a Volt. When I get my car in a couple of weeks there will be competition - I will ask the management about adding spaces but they may not be interested as it may not help with their LEED scores and it wouldn't be cheap. The other problem is that these spots are on Level 5 and you don't get a 3G signal on level 5. You do on Level 3 where I normally park my current ICE vehicle.

The local Ikea has a large number of slots reserved for EV/Hybrid/Alternative Fuel vehicles (it's pretty broad... I think diesel qualifies lol). From what I've seen, at any one time at least half of them are occupied by ordinary ICE cars.

The local Ikea has a large number of slots reserved for EV/Hybrid/Alternative Fuel vehicles (it's pretty broad... I think diesel qualifies lol). From what I've seen, at any one time at least half of them are occupied by ordinary ICE cars.
It just occurred to me this is really counterproductive, not just misguided as I said earlier. I'd probably park an ICE in one of those spaces too, as there is no reason to favor people driving certain cars with preferential parking, and no penalty for parking there. If drivers get used to seeing these spaces and ignoring them, they're likely to ignore the EV parking only signs when it's a charging space and not pay attention to the difference. How is the typical ICE driver in a hurry to know if the space with the EV sign is there for the property owner to show his environmental cred, or if it's an EV charging spot? Do we expect them to look for the charging station too? If the only EV parking signs were at charging spots, those signs would be more likely to be minded. Better yet, have only EV Charging signs, not EV parking signs.