Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denza EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UK car magazine Autocar published a "first drive review" of the Denza EV, a joint venture by BYD and Daimler.

Specs:

0-62 MPH: 14s
Topspeed: 93 MPH
Range: 208 mi (at 37! MPH)

Battery capacity: 44,5 kWh
Battery weight: 550 kg or 1210 lbs

Total weight: 2090 kg or 4600 lbs

I don't think Tesla will have to worry about competition from Denza for Model 3.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...rives/denza-first-drive-review#comment-264115

For a car of comparable weight, the performance stats are laughable.

In the photo of the instrument display there does not seem to be any indication of the remaining range, which should be the most prominent piece of displayed information. But then I noticed a tiny gas pump icon at the lower right (how odd) and "127 km" next to it. I assume that is the remaining range.

Very heavy car for only 44kW of batteries. The steel body contributes to that but that does not fully explain the high vehicle weight.

No mention of charging capabilities or rate of charge. No mention of range at highway speeds. Realistically probably less than 150 miles.

It is very interesting to see that Mercedes is teaming up with BYD and BMW with Brilliance. Tesla has to find a Chinese automotive partner to compete in China.

Very heavy car for only 44kW of batteries. The steel body contributes to that but that does not fully explain the high vehicle weight.

Hmm...the Model S 85kWh pack purportedly weighs 1,500lbs. At 44kWh, that's 52% of the size, which if applied directly renders a weight of 776lbs. That leaves just over 700 lbs difference.

Is it unreasonable to conclude that using aluminum for frame, body panels, and many subcomponents could save ~700lbs?