Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumors - upcoming features, costs, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bugeater, that would be great news. Frustrating to say the least, actually, since I would have easily held off my order to get this function. However, advances like this will always happen and you can never time it just right. Just like the stock market. Still have a degree of suspicion regarding the reliability of this rumor, but that is my nature.

So when I picked up my Model S from the service center today the service advisor told me that there ARE 4WD Model Ss currently in the wild! He said that within a few months they will be available for sale.
My spidey sense tells me that he actually said something more like this:
There are prototype 4WD Model Ss in the wild that are being used as mules to test parts and overall design for the Model X. None of these vehicles are aimed at a "productized" 4WD Model S.

He probably didn't say the second sentence except to himself.

Completely agree with brianman. There would be no excuse for Tesla distracting themselves with an AWD Model S right now. But there are indeed AWD Model S used to test for Model X. I also heard that some of them have eight boxes on the roof to simulate the higher eight of the Model X.

No Model S AWD before Model X.
I have gone back and forth on this one. I believe we will see an option for an AWD S before the X. Since they are 'negative selling' the X right now and they can probably command a nice margin of the AWD's second motor I have come around to the idea that it will be available before the X. I have been wrong MANY times before...just opinion.

Would be great to help 0-60 time. Other than that, I wouldn't have much use for it here in Nor Cal, maybe in the mountains for skiing. Would love it for street launches.

If the front motor is geared a lot lower, an AWD model S might be ~5% more efficient in freeway driving due to the reduced motor losses, which would likely outweigh the increased losses due to the extra weight at all speeds.

Some of the videos suggest Tesla was counting on this edge to keep similar range to the Model S in the larger Model X.
Walter

Completely agree with brianman. There would be no excuse for Tesla distracting themselves with an AWD Model S right now. But there are indeed AWD Model S used to test for Model X. I also heard that some of them have eight boxes on the roof to simulate the higher eight of the Model X.

I've not heard lf "8 boxes", but this something along these lines?

tr1.jpg
tr2.jpg
tr3.jpg

No Model S AWD before Model X.
Why not?

…/ There would be no excuse for Tesla distracting themselves with an AWD Model S right now. /…
This opinion directly contradicts The mission of Tesla as outlined by Elon:

Our goal when we created Tesla a decade ago was the same as it is today: to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport /…

The Mission of Tesla | Blog | Tesla Motors
I have a hard time imagining a Model X being more sustainable than a 4WD Model S.

I see your point.
But the bigger goal is Model 3 regarding true affordability. So to me this is about opportunity cost and distraction. Adding an AWD Model S doesn't solve any problems for Tesla and (given they are supply constraint) doesn't really add to cash flow. But it adds risk to delay a Model 3 launch. So I stick to my statement. There would be no excuse to do so.

But the bigger goal is Model 3 regarding true affordability. So to me this is about opportunity cost and distraction. Adding an AWD Model S doesn't solve any problems for Tesla and (given they are supply constraint) doesn't really add to cash flow. But it adds risk to delay a Model 3 launch. So I stick to my statement. There would be no excuse to do so.

This actually makes the most sense. They're already selling RWD Model S as fast as they can make them, so why divert resources to a problem that doesn't yet exist?

This actually makes the most sense. They're already selling RWD Model S as fast as they can make them, so why divert resources to a problem that doesn't yet exist?

I don't think they would be 'diverting' any reasoruces. I would think the Model X AWD system would be exactly the same as the Model S. Same platform and all. Not to mention they are supposedly already using Model Ss as AWD mules, the work is most likely already done.

I see your point.

Actually, it would solve one problem: any unforeseen AWD problems. Tesla should limit the number of potential (new) problems with X. The falcon wing doors and AWD are two very large engineering feats (more with the falcon wing doors than AWD), and it would be best to have S introduce AWD and handle any unforeseen problems because it will not have as large of a potential negative effect on the S than X. If there is a problem with AWD, better to deal with it on the product that has been in production for over two years than X. It could hurt the overall perception of X if AWD has some minor issue.