Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S observations/queries Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to start this thread to see what people have observed and to ask questions about their Model S. I will start out to ask this one. When I am driving on the freeway and have to slow down for traffic, I take my foot off the accelerator. Does my brake light come on or does it come on only when I press the brake?

I also have turned "Creep" off since the firmware update. I like it that way. What are other people's experience with "Creep"?

I wanted to start this thread to see what people have observed and to ask questions about their Model S. I will start out to ask this one. When I am driving on the freeway and have to slow down for traffic, I take my foot off the accelerator. Does my brake light come on or does it come on only when I press the brake?

I also have turned "Creep" off since the firmware update. I like it that way. What are other people's experience with "Creep"?

Great idea for a thread drtko!

I think once you take your foot completely off the pedal the brake lights come on. As for creep, I like it. Especially for slowly pulling forward into my garage to make sure I hit my mark that means I fully in.

i pose another question..for those of us without parking sensors..what tips do you have for making sure you're not 10 feet away..lol..from the front of the parking stall ? I still have to get out and check sometimes.

I've been a creep user from day 1. But after we received hill hold, it seemed it was a little less necessary. Two weeks ago I turned off creep and never looked back.

Ditto on Nanimac's question. I really want to get a front camera, but am not handy enough to install it myself. Once I find a shop that can install it, done deal!

I've been a creep user from day 1. But after we received hill hold, it seemed it was a little less necessary. Two weeks ago I turned off creep and never looked back.

Ditto on Nanimac's question. I really want to get a front camera, but am not handy enough to install it myself. Once I find a shop that can install it, done deal!

I have the front camera kit ready for installation but haven't had time to put it in. We are in the process of renovating the kitchen so my weekends are tied up in doing that. Has anyone else installed theirs?

I have the front camera, but haven't install it yet. I watched the installs at TMC connect. Looks pretty straight forward (probably a couple of hours per car). Maybe we should look into a get together to install several, or find a shop willing to cut us a deal for a group install.

I have the front camera, but haven't install it yet. I watched the installs at TMC connect. Looks pretty straight forward (probably a couple of hours per car). Maybe we should look into a get together to install several, or find a shop willing to cut us a deal for a group install.
I think that would be a great idea to do the install together. I do have a lot of the tools to do the job.

Yes, the brake lights do come on when regenerating at moderate to high levels. You can see when by touching the battery icon to display the "charge" screen. The image of the vehicle shows the rear hatch brake light and will illuminate on the screen when the lights are activated--even when regenerating so you can see when they are coming on.

Yes, the brake lights do come on when regenerating at moderate to high levels. You can see when by touching the battery icon to display the "charge" screen. The image of the vehicle shows the rear hatch brake light and will illuminate on the screen when the lights are activated--even when regenerating so you can see when they are coming on.

Yes. What he said ^
Press the battery charge icon to see a real-time display of what your car is doing as far as lights/signals. The program that Tesla uses to engage the brake light is more advanced than I originally thought when I first bought the car. There's some kind of G-metering system because even when you go completely off of the accelerator and have full regen happening, the brake light does not turn on if your momentum didn't change (say you were at freeway speeds and were going downhill). Basically, if you can feel any drag on your car at all from the regen braking the brake lights will come on.
Oh, and I've never liked being a creep (enabled kind of guy) ;)

What Stephen said. Brake lights come on based on amount of deceleration taking place with regen. They will always come on when you tap your brakes.

I have had creep turned off since day 1. Surprisingly my mother prefers it that way too.

Someone on TM posted a reply about regen that expained what happens with regard to when regen starts and brake light come one depending on different levels of speed. I've spend about two hours searching for it, but can't find it. If I do, I'll post it.

I have the front camera kit ready for installation but haven't had time to put it in. We are in the process of renovating the kitchen so my weekends are tied up in doing that. Has anyone else installed theirs?

I think that would be a great idea to do the install together. I do have a lot of the tools to do the job.
Great Idea I'll be at your house tomorrow.:biggrin: I am still waiting to install my camera and my front "T". I keep putting it off. I am also waiting to see what happens with the "new" cable with more shielding.

I've wired my car for the camera. And was testing the front cam before running the long cable. Looks like my switch is bad and I will be sending my switch to artsci for his review.

if you need a new switch to test with you can use mine to verify it is the switch. (and I can test my long cable to see if it needs replacing...)