Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19' TST wheels and possible increased energy usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
I replaced my 21" wheels first with original 19" OEM Tesla wheels and then 19" TST's. On the 21's I was driving on OEM PS2s. On the 19's I'm using Bridgestone Potenza S04's. I drove ~5k miles with the S04's on the original Tesla wheels and did not discern a significant increase in energy usage. However, the majority of those miles were on the highway with the cruise control on. A few weeks ago I moved the S04's to the TST wheels. Since then I've noticed an increase in energy usage. I'm still collecting data, but driving around town without any aggressive moves I'm seeing around 350 wH/mile with peaks hitting 390 wH/mile.

If you moved to TSTs I would love to hear from you and your experience. The TSTs are supposed to weigh the same or slightly less than the OEM wheels, so I'm confused by the increase energy usage. It may solely be from the tires and I didn't notice during the first 5K because it was all highway driving. A tirerack review stated the S04's are -1.12% less efficient than PS2. What I'm seeing seems to be more than that.

Last edited:
I went from 21 inch Tesla wheels with OEM PS2 tires to 19 inch TSportline wheels with Michelin A/S 3 tires. My range improved with the Tsportline/A/S 3 combination (about 20 miles on a range charge), based on trips to/from MD and State College, PA. I'm in the DC area, so similar temperature to Northern VA. I have a P85, whereas I see you have a P85+.

Last edited:
you're comparing apples to oranges because you're using completely different tires.

Following up on this thread since it appears a few people have found it while searching on this topic. My energy use on my P85D with the S04's was ~390 wH/mile after ~7,000 miles, including December-March winter in DC (and two months without torque sleep?). I switched to Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season plus tires which are low RR tires right before a 3,500 road trip, and my average was 327 wH/mile, with a ton of 75-80 mph driving. I'm not surprised that the all-season low rolling resistance tires are more efficient that than summer performance tires, but even after trying to take account the winter portion of the miles, it seems that the S04's may be fairly poor on this dimension. Having said that, they were fairly sticky and were good for P85D launches. The P7's do slip a bit, but not too bad. They also have a 70k mile warranty, which is hard to beat.