Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fruit vs Automatons - Phone discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's ability to start the car is in the app itself, it can be done today. It does not rely on anything new from Apple.

Are you sure that it doesn't rely on anything new from Apple? They may require TouchID (iOS fingerprint reader on the iPhone 5s and higher) to use the feature. TouchID is only being opened to developers in iOS 8.0 which will be released on 9/9/14.

Are you sure that it doesn't rely on anything new from Apple? They may require TouchID (iOS fingerprint reader on the iPhone 5s and higher) to use the feature. TouchID is only being opened to developers in iOS 8.0 which will be released on 9/9/14.

What's all this apple stuff? they are going to have an android version too. If all you will need is a fingerprint reader, I can use the Galaxy S5 that is in my pocket right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
No disrespect, but sometimes I feel the iOS fans tend to live within their own world. Apple advertises blowing up every tiny little feature they add to iOS (not talking about the finger print scanner here; it is one of the most amazing features added in the past few years). I am an Android fan, but still, I always like to keep track of what's going on in the iOS world - for my own curiosity, and for the respect I believe Apple deserves. In my opinion, Apple fans should do the same.

[Sorry for taking the thread further off topic]

There would be no Android if it weren't for iOS, so Android fans owe a huge debt of gratitude to Apple for giving other manufacturers something to copy. Microsoft, Samsung, Google, Nokia, RIM, Palm... all of them were left scrambling in 2007. Here we are in 2014 and the industry still looks to Apple for leadership in the smartphone and tablet space. When Apple talks, the industry pays attention. When was the last time anyone looked to Samsung for anything newsworthy? Look at Samsung ads... they insult the very customers they are trying to woo.

When was the last time anyone looked to Samsung for anything newsworthy?

Bigger Phones. If Steve Jobs was still at the helm, you'd not be getting any bigger iPhones than the one you have in your pocket right now. Remember, from an Apple point of view, no one wants bigger phones. Samsung and the other Android manufactures showed that Apple was wrong and now Apple are playing catchup. I'm sure they will do a fantastic job, but it's wrong to suggest Apple are first with everything, and then Android copy. Other examples are Notifications, Task view, Maps ...

Bigger Phones. If Steve Jobs was still at the helm, you'd not be getting any bigger iPhones than the one you have in your pocket right now. Remember, from an Apple point of view, no one wants bigger phones. Samsung and the other Android manufactures showed that Apple was wrong and now Apple are playing catchup. I'm sure they will do a fantastic job, but it's wrong to suggest Apple are first with everything, and then Android copy. Other examples are Notifications, Task view, Maps ...

completely OT.

There would be no Android if it weren't for iOS, so Android fans owe a huge debt of gratitude to Apple for giving other manufacturers something to copy. Microsoft, Samsung, Google, Nokia, RIM, Palm... all of them were left scrambling in 2007. Here we are in 2014 and the industry still looks to Apple for leadership in the smartphone and tablet space. When Apple talks, the industry pays attention. When was the last time anyone looked to Samsung for anything newsworthy? Look at Samsung ads... they insult the very customers they are trying to woo.

You just made my point.

P.S. - Who said anything about Samsung

There would be no Android if it weren't for iOS, so Android fans owe a huge debt of gratitude to Apple for giving other manufacturers something to copy. Microsoft, Samsung, Google, Nokia, RIM, Palm... all of them were left scrambling in 2007.

Revisionist history? LOL :)

Hmmm. Windows CE/Mobile started in 2000.

iOS started in 2007.

Revisionist history much. The reason why the iPhone rocketed off was marketing. Which is important don't get me wrong. But there were large touchscreen smartphones before the iPhone.

Windows Mobile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
iOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows CE/Mobile was definitely much earlier than iOS. Apple just took that concept and proved that it could do it better with a capacity touchscreen with big touch areas/icons that is better for finger touches rather than a stylus. And Android was released around the same time as iOS.

There's been a lot of Apple debate in the Investor forum recently due to rumors of an Apple car and/or Apple buying Tesla. As many people love Apple products as hate them.

I use an iPhone as my mobile device, but I use a Windows notebook at home (MacOS X just never appealed to me, although I really like iOS).

My primary issue with Android is not with the OS in of itself, but the way device updates are handled. While some Android devices like Nexus and Moto X seem to get regular updates, many other handsets go months without security patches and version upgrades. From what I understand, the handset maker often has to make the patch, and then the mobile phone carrier (this is in the U.S.) has to approve and then push the update to the phone. This is absurd, and dangerous from a security perspective.

Neither Dell nor my ISP controls whether my notebook computer gets patches from Windows Update. My iPhone doesn't require my carrier's approval to install the latest iOS.

From my perspective I'm just not comfortable with a lot of Android handsets because of this issue. Are there any other Android devices like Nexus that don't require the blessing of a wireless carrier for an update?

From my perspective I'm just not comfortable with a lot of Android handsets because of this issue. Are there any other Android devices like Nexus that don't require the blessing of a wireless carrier for an update?

Lots of them. The unlocked, international versions of most manufacturers' handsets are unencumbered by the wireless carrier's update process and are updated by the manufacturer. The downside is that you can't get the subsidized prices from the carriers (you end up paying for it in the end anyway). There's the OnePlus that I know some have chosen.

The carriers still get to muck with Apple's code in iOS, they just get Apple to push the code updates as part of iOS, rather than bundle their own update app.