Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Correction and Modesta Coating by SpeedFreak in Chantilly, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously, I cannot praise Brian and his guys more for a job well done on my car. But I wanted to take the time to share about them, in case you are in the NOVA area and want a fair priced and reliable detailer to take care of your car.

First the background: My car was delivered with some scratches in the paint back in March, 2014. I complained right on the spot and Tesla took it over to their body shop to fix the paint and give my car a proper send off. Well, this is the last I trust anyone to touch my car beside myself and Brian and his guys. I really wish I had taken before pictures of what I could see even before he started the job because the swirls in the paint and the sanding marks were hugely visible to me and I am not a trained professional. First I never realized that they were caused by Tesla (and/or the body shop) because they put this filler coating on top when they give it to you that hides away all of these issues. It is really depressing... So a month or two later after all that stuff had worn off I noticed all these scratches started appearing on my car, and then some really heavy scratched areas that looked like someone had taken a piece of sandpaper to an area on the car... I had always thought it was something I had done to my paint when I had washed the car. And it wasn't until talking with Brian that I found out that nothing could be further from the truth. I mean, I might have caused some scratches, but not 99% of what we were seeing on the car.

Keep in mind, I have 11,000 miles now, and the front has it's fair share of rock chips in it (all into the protective film thankfully I chose to pay for that, it was worth it!)

So now, he takes my car, does his thing, and I get to finally see if for the first time and wow oh wow!!! Does it look stunning. Sadly, it is not perfect, but I knew this was not going to happen coming into it. They were really honest through the whole thing to point out where things were that they just couldn't get out. Mostly on the trunk lid that had been repainted... which brings me to when they repainted the car from it getting scratched. I am now painfully aware that the light dots all over my car (that honestly I had again always thought was from poor washing or something like that since they almost look like speckled water spots) was actually caused by overspray from them painting the car and not masking everything off correctly. :cursing:

So now, I am left with these speckles on all the glass and on the door handles that just won't come out. Sigh... Life lesson learned... don't trust any car company (including Tesla it seems) to do a good job when it comes to the properly detailing and taking care of a car. I really hope this changes...

If you managed to make it through this, you are now rewarded with the pictures I took :D

20140829_121757.jpg
20140829_121807.jpg
20140829_121819.jpg
20140829_121906.jpg
20140829_121920.jpg

Seriously, Brian did a fantastic job here, and I highly recommend them. They have done plenty of Model S and the results were amazing.

About the work:
Paint Correction: 1000$
Modesta BC4: 900$

I went with Modesta and am really glad I did! It really has brought out the blue in the car and made the metal flakes really pop out. In the last picture that is what those little white dots are... not the best camera... it is the sparkling in the sunlight off the metal. When you see it visually with your eyes it looks amazing!

Looks great.:biggrin: Too bad about the work that Tesla did. My DS told me that they have switched detailers recently, so hopefully things will improve for those of us coming after you.

As you know, I'm planning on using Brian too, and I have seen two Tesla's that he worked on in person, including the one that was badly damaged in a hail storm, and his work does look first rate.

---
One thing that strikes me is how's Virginia's insistence on a front license plate and the ridiculous safety inspection stickers really take away from the elegant look of the Model S. Oh well. Life in the big city.

Last edited:
Brian did paint correction and opticoat for me right after the winter weather cleared up this year. The car still looks great and washing it continues to be a breeze. It was really sad being without the car for a couple days but I've enjoyed every day since. Especially nice right after a rainstorm at work; I walk past all the other cars just coated with water then get to mine and it's all beaded-up. Fun to watch it all roll off as I get going! I'm sure I'll be a repeat customer but that should take a few years hopefully.

Brian was saying once he finished building out the shop (they were in the middle of construction while I was there with their contractor doing a ton of work today) that they want to put together some events. Specifically some education type stuff where now that many of us have paid a pretty penny to get our cars looking nice have them do a workshop on proper car cleaning and such. It sounded like a great idea and when I get more information from him about it I will happily post it.

For those looking for more information about them feel free to browse through their previous work:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SpeedFreakDetailing
Flickr: Flickr: SpeedFreak81's Photostream

They have both videos and photos of their work and it really is amazing. My correction was to 85%+ across the whole car and it really shows. He is supposed to upload photos to his Flickr account later which will have his high quality stuff in there on my car and it will also include some nice before after and during correction photos to really see the scratches that were on the car before hand.

Love the idea of a how-to event :)
And your car looks stunning, I love that it is blue, not something-blackish :)

Glad it seems like a great idea I will definitely pass that information on!

That was the first thing I noticed as he rolled it outside and the sunlight hit it! Just such a pretty color! both guys said blue was their favorite color because too many people have red and they love the wide variance you get in the coloring of the car depending on light. It goes from a nice blue all the way almost to black at night and everywhere in between. But in the sunlight with the play of shadows it just looks stunning, if I do say so myself :D

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and today I took it to the Bethesda cars and coffee and had quite a few people tell me how great it looked! I am so happy to know that not only did I appreciate Brian's work, but it seems others did too :D

Brian finished up yesterday, and he took some pictures of the final product that I'm cross-posting from his flickr. I think it really came out well, and I'm finally getting to drive the car in earnest which is even better. FYI--This detail included paint correction; Suntek clear bra on the entire front end, including A pillars, the lower half of the area in front of the rear wheels, and the area just below the lift gate; Modesta on the entire car, including the wheels, which were removed as part of the process. Detailing P0rn below:

15420046682_1abd293891_z.jpg

15397358866_a4e28205c3_z.jpg

15417071841_ec5502c6e9_z.jpg

Detailing P0rn indeed! Love it! Hope you have already started having fun with it. If you don't mind my asking, how much was the Suntek for the coverage you got?

Brian would be sad about my car, driving down I95/395 every day and all this tearing up the roads that they have done I now have some rock chips in my paint on the hood that are pretty noticeable and make me quite sad :( I suppose it was too good to last forever! I sorta wish in all of this I had made Brian remove my factory coating at least on the hood and cover the whole hood for protection. Maybe next time! Even with its new minor blemishes it still looks amazing and I love everything about the coating!

Thanks for looking:biggrin:

Detailing P0rn indeed! Love it! Hope you have already started having fun with it. If you don't mind my asking, how much was the Suntek for the coverage you got?

I don't think my pricing is quite accurate at this point because Brian and I set this up months ago. So, I don't want to tell you the wrong thing. In addition, the pricing is very dependent on just how much Suntek you put on. I would hit up Brian for more details.

Beautiful. Was Modesta applied to the Suntek also or just everywhere else?
Modesta was applied everywhere, including all the chrome pieces and door handles.

Cool.

Please try to find time to report back your experience over time with Modesta on the film with the self healing and also just the coating's micro marring and water spot resistance.

It's really great to see the cars when they are new and just corrected and coated but I'd love to know how different coatings and films hold up to the daily grind. Only detailer near me using Modesta so far insists it shouldn't go over the film. Frustrating. There's still a real vacuum here in L.A. in terms of full service finish care.

Ooops. I take it OC is out of the question? If so, I can't necessarily blame you. If someone had told me I had to go to Baltimore for this process, I might have hesitated. Luckily Speedfreak is just a few minutes away from me.

For what it's worth I have the factory paint armor and the Modesta was put on top of that. So far so good on the coating being on top of the film and I had asked about that and Brian had insisted that most films have almost their own clear coat so the Modesta reinforces that coating even more and certainly doesn't subtract from it.

The only thing that might affect mine in the future is that I had some damages to my film already (since the car was far from new) so those are likely to be the weak spots on the coating. Otherwise it is holding up great being 1+ month into using it.

A fellow owner had done it on his MS back quite a few months ago and he had a film put on his car by Brian on top of doing Bc-4 and a BC-5 coating and the film coating was holding up really well when I looked at it. There was nothing wrong with the car on prime areas like the hood. It looks quite nice and he had this work done over a year ago.

So hope this helps. Modesta on top of a film is fine and works nicely with the car.