Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery moved UP a month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I thought this was interesting enough to be post-worthy, plus I'm really excited. :smile:

August 8th: Placed Order
August 9th: Confirmed (estimated delivery: Late October)
August 19th: Changed pick-up location to Fremont factory (estimated delivery: Late October)
August 28th: Estimated delivery changed to Late SEPTEMBER

Not sure why I'm so lucky when I'm hearing about everyone else having delivery delays. I'm trying not to get too excited, though - knowing these dates can change.

Hi all, I thought this was interesting enough to be post-worthy, plus I'm really excited. :smile:

August 8th: Placed Order
August 9th: Confirmed (estimated delivery: Late October)
August 19th: Changed pick-up location to Fremont factory (estimated delivery: Late October)
August 28th: Estimated delivery changed to Late SEPTEMBER

Not sure why I'm so lucky when I'm hearing about everyone else having delivery delays. I'm trying not to get too excited, though - knowing these dates can change.

my theory is that TM will be fully caught up to their planned production schedule a month from now (end of Q3) AND they like to deliver lots of cars to the US market at end of quarter because their is little delay between production and delivery vs offshore deliveries or even east coast deliveries

I bet if someone would pick-up at Fremont, they could order today and get end-of-Sept delivery. It just gets more units sold than putting them through the offshore shipping channels. five weeks from now is a short time to get deliveries done if they have to go through the Netherlands finishing steps or boats to Asia. Elon said that some China buyers would not get their orders this year. Of course, literally, that makes sense if they order now and want December delivery.

Mine was supposed to be delivered late October and then I received the email today that it will be late Sep.

Happy I'm getting earlier... Need to change my signature below ..

What is great is when I placed the order the delivery date said "Late November". The next day it said "December". A week later, it dropped to "Late October". Now, I am getting it September 28th. How awesome is that!

Niiiice. You'll like Costa Mesa crew. They're super

So far they have been great, including the staff at the Mission Viejo mall store. I am looking forward to the delivery process! I have purchased prior cars through dealerships, so it has been a very refreshing process thus far.

Does it seem odd that someone who orders on Aug 8 might get delivery September 30, when my order from ~June 15 is still scheduled for September 15? I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to work out the figures in my head. Unless they're doubling their production speed, I don't see how they could reasonably meet that kind of production increase. Unless there is merit to the shuffling things around to meet the end of quarter production. That's some pretty significant shuffling.

Does it seem odd that someone who orders on Aug 8 might get delivery September 30, when my order from ~June 15 is still scheduled for September 15? I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to work out the figures in my head. Unless they're doubling their production speed, I don't see how they could reasonably meet that kind of production increase. Unless there is merit to the shuffling things around to meet the end of quarter production. That's some pretty significant shuffling.

At least they aren't getting their car before you! It's like being at a restaurant and someone comes in a half hour after you order and they get their food first.

Same thing has happened to me but I'm not taking delivery in Fremont but instead Seattle. August 8th order (November estimate), August 10th confirmation (changes to Late October shortly after), last night changed to Late September. I do not have a VIN yet. I suspect they are several possible reasons for this. Possible part delays for some options, causing some orders to be moved up. Production ramp ups. Efforts to optimize shipments of vehicles to specific locations, we've seen pictures of car carriers filled with just Teslas. So if they can fill them it's probably cheaper to ship. Efforts to maximize deliveries by end of quarter. None of these are really mutually exclusive so it could be a combination of any of them.

I think it's pretty obvious what is going on here.

The Production team needs to hit a certain number by the end of the quarter. The shutdown delayed deliveries, and now they are prioritizing deliveries based on geological location and how quick they can ship produced cars from the Fremont factory to the service centers to deliver and close the sale.

My DS emailed me and said "production slots for September opened up, would you want to take delivery sooner?" I said of course! This tells me they need to get X amount of cars in X amount of buyers hands to meet those needs. Producing and shipping cars to the East coast and other continents for delivery could prove detrimental to this quarters delivery numbers and risk a hit to their high flying share price. Any numbers that are off for their next earnings release could be devastating, so this seems like a logistics move to make up for the delivery shutdown.

Color me jealous. I ordered 8/2, confirmed 8/3, was shown December, then November, then Late October. On 8/6 I asked Van Nuys to switch me over to Factory and had emails with Nick G from Fremont delivery.

As of this morning, dashboard still showed Van Nuys and Late October, but based on these posts, I re-contacted Nick G about the factory delivery. (I guess he has neglected to update the system?) So, he's updated it now...remains to be seen if I move up from Late October....

I think it's pretty obvious what is going on here. The Production team needs to hit a certain number by the end of the quarter. The shutdown delayed deliveries, and now they are prioritizing deliveries based on geological location and how quick they can ship produced cars from the Fremont factory to the service centers to deliver and close the sale.

That's not immediately obvious to me. The difference in transit from California to Dallas Texas vs. say, Florida or Virginia can not be so significant, can it? One or two extra days on the truck? If that is really cutting into the bottom line, then as a company Tesla is in a lot worse shape than everyone thinks.

- - - Updated - - -

One question I haven't had answered is if the VIN is connected to the production ordering. Do cars with lower vins get built first? If we start to see higher vins (53,000s) go into production before some of the 51,000s, then we'll know for sure.

Interesting. Recently, a number of Hong Kong deliveries were moved BACK a month - late Septembers -> October and Octobers -> November.

I think I see a pattern. Someone needs a Q3 result (my guess is catchup due to factory shutdown).

I ordered and confirmed an 85 kWh on 7/30 and I was given a delivery estimate of Late October at the Costa Mesa service center. My configuration is black, pano, black leather, standard suspension, and parking sensors. We don't have a VIN given to us as of yet and our delivery date has not been moved up from Late October. I'm just sitting here crossing my fingers and my toes that mine goes to Late September. My dashboard did give me a new message today from sourcing parts to "Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California".