Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's rollout of high-power wall chargers - where are they?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveT

Searcher of green pastures
Nov 15, 2012
Texas
The Wall Street Journal reported today that Tesla has been rolling out high-power wall chargers, free of use. They say currently 106 have been installed since this spring.

Where are these HPWCs located? Is there a map of them?

Beyond the Supercharger: Teslas Other Charging Network - Corporate Intelligence - WSJ

But with little or no fanfare, Tesla also has been installing high-power wall chargers at restaurants, hotels, beach parking and other locations that can send 80 amps of electricity into the Model S and add 58 miles of range in an hour. While that’s not nearly as fast as a Supercharger, which can recharge the 85 kWh pack in around 30 minutes, it’s twice as fast as the standard 240-volt chargers that can be more commonly be found around in parking lots and garages. Tesla has been rolling these out quickly across the country as a convenience to customers. The company says 106 of them have been installed since the program began this spring, with more coming online daily. Like the Superchargers, they are free to use for Tesla owners. They don’t work with other electric cars.​

I don't think this is the map. These are chargers at Tesla stores and service centers. Where are the "restaurants, hotels, beach parking and other locations?"

It is the map. Uncheck stores and service centers. The large lightning bolt icons are superchargers. The small ones are HPWCs. Many of the HPWCs are at stores and service centers, but it only took a few seconds to find one at a hotel (in Nashville).

22kW Type 2 outlets will do the job in Europe, and all PEVs can use them, not just the Model S.

This is much more attractive for property owners in my opinion.

GSP

Supercharger stations are obviously first choice. But in situations that you have too little energy left in the battery pack to reach the next Supercharger station, such a network of HPWCs can be the solution. So, it's good that they are there (if you are able to reach it). It's actually a second option for Tesla Motors to help out it's customers with charging their Tesla Model S/X.

Should Tesla Motors do something similar for it's customers in Europe and Asia too?
Meaning: profiding a second network of charging opportunities for their Tesla Model S/X (besides the Tesla Supercharging network).

Well, Bear Mountain Resort just northwest of Victoria BC had theirs installed and turned on a few weeks ago. Not on Plugshare yet but I'll be helping them do that as part of Drive Electric Week. Assuming this is the same program as in the article, the offer actually includes a Clipper Creek 30A (don't quote me on the amps, maybe it's 40...I can't remember) L2 as well, for other vehicles. One of the conditions is the location has to be "in front", i.e. highly visible so people can see any Tesla charging. Tesla provides the hardware, the property pays for the installation. I think the program is well set up - I checked into it for Victoria-area hotels - one of my concerns originally as an EV advocate was what about non-Tesla, but they have that well covered off IMHO.

I couple were installed at hotels in southern Maine in preparation for Drive events at those locations. I recall seeing mention of a few other situations like that were the installation accompanied a demonstration event.

Here is the link to the destination charging program. As I understand it, anyone can suggest a spot for the HPWC to be installed. If Tesla agrees with the location they will talk to the location owners and see if they want one installed.

The program funds the hardware as long as the site owner is willing to pay for the installation and make it available to drivers to use for free...

The program funds the hardware as long as the site owner is willing to pay for the installation and make it available to drivers to use for free...

What I am finding is that a lot of these HPWCs listed at hotels anyway are "for customers only" so they are not exactly free. I can understand why they are doing it, but it's not as convenient as a supercharger where there is no obligation to use the host's services. It is a charging desert in northern Wisconsin. The only charger in the area is the HPWC at the Marriott hotel in Wausau, which is perfectly on my way up north but not my destination.

What I am finding is that a lot of these HPWCs listed at hotels anyway are "for customers only" so they are not exactly free. I can understand why they are doing it, but it's not as convenient as a supercharger where there is no obligation to use the host's services. It is a charging desert in northern Wisconsin. The only charger in the area is the HPWC at the Marriott hotel in Wausau, which is perfectly on my way up north but not my destination.

I would be happy to stop in the hotel for a meal/drink while I charged my car. I would want the hotel to know that they are getting my business because they have a charger.
It is not as good as a supercharger due to the obligation as you pointed out, but better than nothing.

I would be happy to stop in the hotel for a meal/drink while I charged my car. I would want the hotel to know that they are getting my business because they have a charger.
It is not as good as a supercharger due to the obligation as you pointed out, but better than nothing.

+110! The business that installs these HPWC's gets the HPWC free, but it pays for installation, dedicates premium, visible parking, and pays for electricity. Asking for you to use the business in return is a small toll that I am happy to pay.

There are currently 110 Superchargers in North America!

Of course they're for customers only, that's the point of the program. It's called "destination charging" for a reason. Hotels get free or discounted HPWCs and install them to entice you to make that hotel your destination rather than another one. It's not meant to be a substitute for a supercharger.

Well, Bear Mountain Resort just northwest of Victoria BC had theirs installed and turned on a few weeks ago. Not on Plugshare yet but I'll be helping them do that as part of Drive Electric Week. Assuming this is the same program as in the article, the offer actually includes a Clipper Creek 30A (don't quote me on the amps, maybe it's 40...I can't remember) L2 as well, for other vehicles. One of the conditions is the location has to be "in front", i.e. highly visible so people can see any Tesla charging. Tesla provides the hardware, the property pays for the installation. I think the program is well set up - I checked into it for Victoria-area hotels - one of my concerns originally as an EV advocate was what about non-Tesla, but they have that well covered off IMHO.

Tesla is providing the Clipper Creeks units as well? I knew they were offering free HPWCs, but J1772 EVSEs also? That's news and welcome to hear as well.

Anyone can make an entry in PlugShare/Recargo. It is kind of surprising how many chargers don't make it there. I've had to create several entries for chargers that were reasonably high profile but no one thought about it. Seems kind of like a no brainer - 5 minutes of computer time and you're done.

Now, I just wish the plugshare web page and android app supported filtering by hotel.

The destination charging is working for me. I specifically choose hotels that have a charger installed (either HPWC or public network) unless a) it is absurdly expensive for my budget or b) it's extremely inconveniently located. I also let the manager know that it's why I chose to stay there. I try to do this even if I fly in rather than drive.

The map posted didn't really show how extensive HPWC deployment is. Go to Plugshare. Deselect residential. On the legend section select MORE. That will show all charger types. Deselect all but Tesla HPWC. You get:
image.tiff