Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article: Tesla Motors Inc Model S Least Stolen Car In The U.S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting... so at the rate of .15 per 1000, that means that 1 out of 6667 Model S's have been stolen. That means there have been about 7 Model S's stolen. We know about one of those. I'm betting the other 6 were also stolen by someone taking the key. I wonder how many of those were recovered.

Im new to the forums and is currently awaiting the delivery of my Model S. So forgive me if I sound ignorant but why? Why steal a car that is a niche vehicle right now and can be tracked so easily? Where are these cars ending up? And why can't Tesla find these cars through the 3G link in the cars??

Im new to the forums and is currently awaiting the delivery of my Model S. So forgive me if I sound ignorant but why? Why steal a car that is a niche vehicle right now and can be tracked so easily? Where are these cars ending up? And why can't Tesla find these cars through the 3G link in the cars??

We know almost nothing about the estimated 7 Teslas that have been stolen, with the exception of the one stolen this year from the Los Angeles Service Center by a guy hired by Tesla to wash cars at the SC who stole the fob and then crashed spectacularly, was ejected through the windshield (not wearing the seat belt) and died.

You seem to assume that the facts of the other thefts are known. I don't know why you are assuming that.

It is true that Tesla knows the location of every Model S that is on 3G or wifi. But of course it is possible to move a car out of 3G coverage range and I do not believe that Tesla would automatically notify the owner if that was detected.

The antenna receivers are also in well known locations on the car and could be easily ripped off if someone wanted to quickly disable the ability to track the car... Or track it as easily... Just saying.

Alternatively instead of destroying the car you could wrap the antennas in a signal absorbing material in order to kill the signal.

Then just drive away without an easy means to be tracked.

The antenna receivers are also in well known locations on the car and could be easily ripped off if someone wanted to quickly disable the ability to track the car... Or track it as easily... Just saying.

Alternatively instead of destroying the car you could wrap the antennas in a signal absorbing material in order to kill the signal.

Then just drive away without an easy means to be tracked.

This plus never use a Supercharger. Makes for a very functional car. I am sure the black market for Model S pays better than an S-Class.

We know almost nothing about the estimated 7 Teslas that have been stolen, with the exception of the one stolen this year from the Los Angeles Service Center by a guy hired by Tesla to wash cars at the SC who stole the fob and then crashed spectacularly, was ejected through the windshield (not wearing the seat belt) and died.

You seem to assume that the facts of the other thefts are known. I don't know why you are assuming that.

It is true that Tesla knows the location of every Model S that is on 3G or wifi. But of course it is possible to move a car out of 3G coverage range and I do not believe that Tesla would automatically notify the owner if that was detected.

I based my assumption on the fact that Tesla is not making it a selling point that theirs cars are easily tracked and recovered if stolen. I can only assume that since they have not talked about the recovery of these vehicles that they were not recovered. The fact that they were stolen is the only hard fact that we have. If indeed they were recovered Tesla needs to point this out as a strong point of the car. I know GM did with their OnStar system (I have owned several GM vehicles) and it was indeed a selling point for me. I work in Liberty City here in Miami and it is well known for the high crime rates here so yes I would like to know if my car is stolen is there a chance we can catch the dirty crook and not just get back my car...:biggrin:

I based my assumption on the fact that Tesla is not making it a selling point that theirs cars are easily tracked and recovered if stolen. I can only assume that since they have not talked about the recovery of these vehicles that they were not recovered. The fact that they were stolen is the only hard fact that we have. If indeed they were recovered Tesla needs to point this out as a strong point of the car. I know GM did with their OnStar system (I have owned several GM vehicles) and it was indeed a selling point for me.

You make a lot of assumptions, and I would suggest that not all of them are justified.

GM heavily promoted OnStar for marketing purposes and to make money selling the service. GM saw it as a revenue stream. Nothing wrong with that.

Tesla is a new company and has a million things on their plate. Apparently they are not interested in promoting the idea of a vehicle theft recovery service at this time. They may do so in the future. They may well have assisted in recovering some of the tiny number of stolen Teslas so far but choose not to make a big deal out of it for reasons we do not know.

Tesla clearly does not have to do any marketing to sell cars faster than they can currently produce them, so there is no reason for the company to expend any effort to promote whatever vehicle recovery capabilities they may have.

GM on the other hand spends huge sums on marketing and struggles against the competition. The Cadillac ELR EV is obviously a failure. The Volt is doing okay but sales are well below what GM projected a few years ago.

Last edited:

There was also a Model S stolen (and later recovered) from a detailer. The son of the guy who owns the detailing shop took it for a joy ride.

Where has anyone found proof of any thefts? ... you're relying on a magical number published by a newspaper.

We only know of one theft.

"NigelM", I agree with jayb737, not a good idea to mention that here if it is in fact correct.

Although driving around with side mirrors wrapped in tinfoil is probably going to attract attention.

Better than my tin foil hat! Hey, people already think some of us are crazy greenies (great stereotyping by the public...) so why not just say they are on the car to prevent the aliens from penetrating our minds! Or something like that... :)

Some might not know the antenna location and it would be a good idea not to tell them here.

Where has anyone found proof of any thefts? ... you're relying on a magical number published by a newspaper.

We only know of one theft.

"NigelM", I agree with jayb737, not a good idea to mention that here if it is in fact correct.

It was already well documented on the forums, anyone so inclined could have found it by searching in the google search bar. I am not a fan of security through obscurity... it is not the way to go.

It was already well documented on the forums, anyone so inclined could have found it by searching in the google search bar. I am not a fan of security through obscurity... it is not the way to go.

What was documented ... the mirrors or the thefts?

What was documented ... the mirrors or the thefts?

Mirrors. The 3G antennas are in the mirrors and the other antennas (AM/FM/XM) are on the sides of the back glass for the hatchback.