Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing warning from Windshield Visor - Have you done it? (or do you want to?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a trail of comments on the forum at Tesla about people removing the ugly warnings on their sun visors using 90+ alcohol. Has anyone done it here? And if so, what are the steps to do so, so that you don't end up with stains and/or a sticky, gluey mess?

I didn't bother removing them. My solution was just to cover them up with something better:

DSC_5440.jpg
DSC_5441.jpg

DSC_5442.jpg

Nice idea, and well executed. Not my cup of tea, though. Most people "see through" the safety stickers because they're in every car. But those two Tesla stickers call attention to themselves because they're so different from the expected, and IMHO they become more noticeable rather than less.

Reactions: logan
I just pealed it off very slowly and the alcantara underneath looks perfect. Did not use alcohol or anything, just used a fingernail at the corner to get started.
This was about two weeks after delivery, maybe more tricky if the sticker had been there longer.

I am not planning on doing it but here's a technic I use to remove the adhesive tape when changing golf grips: using a heat gun or hair dryer on high setting. If you time it right, it heats up and softens the adhesive and the material then peels off easily. I also noted that when my half-hood paint armor was removed for replacement by a full hood wrap, the guy used heat also but in the form of a power steamer. And FWIW, in lifting and saving uncancelled postage stamps, wetting them with acetone is effective.

I did a search and it's a popular subject on car forums; however, somewhere on the first page of the thread the "legal" question is raised and while I can't see that it's illegal per se to remove those stickers the question regarding personal liability (particularly when the car is sold on) in case of an accident is thorny one, especially given the sometimes litigation-hungry society we live in.

I know when I had my M3 people would order the European spec sun visor which did not included the hideously ridiculous sticker. I don't know if this is still the case anymore but it might be possible to order a European Spec sun visor from Tesla if it is.

In Canada, these stupid things have to be in both English and French (i.e. a bigger sticker) making them even uglier. One funny thing they do (although I don't think my Tesla has it) is a transparent sticker on the passenger side window by the mirror with the French version of the "Objects are closer than they appear..." inscription on the mirror itself. That is the first thing to go on my cars.

What do you mean when you say "use" 90% rubbing alcohol? Dab it with alcohol, until it is completely soaked?

This:

5042821644.jpg

Pharmacies carry it (Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Target etc) and you can buy it usually in 70% or 90-91% concentrations, or occasionally you find it as 99%. The balance percentage is usually water (which the alcohol carries away as it evaporates) so 70% concentration might leave water stains on the material.

This:

View attachment 57848

Pharmacies carry it (Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Target etc) and you can buy it usually in 70% or 90-91% concentrations, or occasionally you find it as 99%. The balance percentage is usually water (which the alcohol carries away as it evaporates) so 70% concentration might leave water stains on the material.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I meant to ask how the alcohol is to be used, rather than what it was. :)