Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Minder for 12V System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried rigging up a battery minder or trickle charger to that lousy, constantly dying 12v battery?

i ask because I have one I use for my motorcycles, which used to eat up batteries during long storage periods, and it works beautifully.

The one for my bikes even has a wiring harness you a attach to the battery poles with a quick-disconnect fitting so you can plug and unplug it at will.

i was thinking it might be possible to rig something similar up on the Roadster to allow one to plug the 12v into a tender in your garage, say, without the need to pull the front wheel off every night.

Has anyone tried this? Is there some reason the tech experts know that this won't work/help?

If you turn on your roadster once a day it shouldn't make much difference. The roadster battery is basically same as a UPS battery. UPS batteries they tend to get useless around 3-5 years for me (even when float charged).

If you do leave roadster over extended period of time I'm pretty sure you should be able to use the 12v socket.

Last edited: