Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Darker color cars noticed more?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

invisik

Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2014
Minneapolis
Hi!

Wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing.

I have a "classic" gray S85 with aero wheels. The Service Center swapped it this morning and I have a blue S85 loaner with standard wheels. In the morning alone, I had 4 solid cases of people staring or thumb-upping me while driving. In my gray car, I may get staring maybe once every 2 days. I am driving in the same area of town.

*I* am totally intrigued by the aero wheels (I'm weird I know) but I've had the comment a few times that they are the "hub caps". So maybe people are taking less notice of it because of the wheels......? dunno.

Many cars are gray, maybe it just blends in more.

Thanks.....

-m

Personally, the darker colored performance cars seem to stand out to me for some reason. Maybe the contrast with the daytime running lights makes them look more sinister, particularly when I see them in my rear view. The low slung coupes with gun slit windows also catch my attention, since I'm not a big fan of that design, particularly when paired with slab sides.

The White car looks the best IMO and will stand out more. The darker colors do not show the body lines and lack contrast and are not as eye catching.

Imaging a Black Lamborghini or Ferrari - they will definitely go more unnoticed than a White, Red, or Orange version.

Bright colors stand out more. Whites in particular, but also yellow, light greens, and reds. You eyes are most sensitive to colors in the green/yellow range (which is why many municipalities use light green fire trucks). Anyway, there's a reason why, despite the jokes about red, you're actually most likely to get tickets in a white car. They pop.

Greys and silvers on the other hand, completely blend in, both with the road and other vehicles. The grey Model S is sharp (and was my close second choice), but silver/grey cars are so popular in general it'll be harder to get noticed.

Here's my vote for Navy, or whatever Tesla calls it. Shocker... that's my colored S85.
With the changed out rims, and tinted glass, people seem to look at it, on every road I drive... Lots of thumbs up or just stares.
I think the dark blue, looks less dirty than the black with dusty, etc. And when clean, the lines of the car show up really well!

I find that the blue tends to blend in more. That works for me since I'm not a big fan of drawing more attention than necessary (especially with traffic enforcement here in Texas). :smile:

I have noticed that most people simply glance right over the car. But what's fun for me are those people who do a double-take and their reactions when they realize it's not simply a regular blue sedan.

I agree the wheels definitely have something to do with it.

So many Audi's/Benzes are gray/silver it doesn't stand out as much in the row of cars either.

Ok, well, I'm extra stealthy then... can't hear me or notice me coming! :)

-m

Around here it seems that black is the "standard" color for SUV's and white and silver/grey are the most common for sedans. Green, brown, red, orange and yellow are uncommon and stand out (except for Jeep Wranglers, where wild colors are expected). Exotics are almost always black, and they stand out in comparison to the run-of-the mill sedans both by color choice, and by styling. Teslas look enough like Sonatas that they are stealth exotics.

I don't know y'all - a fresh waxed black car is like looking into a mirror. I seem to get a lot of attention when my car is spit shine clean. However, being that I live in Seattle, that lasts for all of about 5 minutes. A dirty black car is pretty "meh"

I've gone several places with a friend of mine - he in his multi-coat red Model S and me in my black Model S - and consistently, time after time, people will come up and ask him questions about his car and not even notice mine there next to it. On several occasions he's even pointed out to the onlookers "He has one too and knows more about it, you should ask him" to which they say "Oh! I didn't even notice it there." Sigh. Well, fine by me, really.

I've gone several places with a friend of mine - he in his multi-coat red Model S and me in my black Model S - and consistently, time after time, people will come up and ask him questions about his car and not even notice mine there next to it. On several occasions he's even pointed out to the onlookers "He has one too and knows more about it, you should ask him" to which they say "Oh! I didn't even notice it there." Sigh. Well, fine by me, really.
You might want to set your "Walk-away Invisible Mode" to Off.