Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 80ft Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I thought I would share pictures of my outlet installation. It is 80ft from my panel to my outlet. The panel, of course is in the basement at the end of the house opposite the garage.

NEMA 14-50 outlet. UMC transformer resting on top of cabinet so it doesn't hang. Cord & plug in bucket. My charge port on the car is right there (car not present of course)
80ft A.jpeg

Up to ceiling and over beam. I decided to go over the beam instead of trying to go-around it with conduit. 6AWG cable is difficult to take around bends.
80ft B.jpeg

Across ceiling to wall. The hole was already there from a drain pipe. Time to seal it off.
80ft C.jpeg

Down the wall heading to basement ceiling. I decided to cut the wall to drill through to the basement ceiling. Not finished spackling yet.
80ft D.jpeg

Across basement ceiling to far corner. Drop ceiling is a huge plus.
80ft E.jpeg

In to junction box on ceiling and down through conduit into service panel. Junction box and conduit were already there for a sub panel in my shed for the pool
80ft F.jpeg

Getting a nice charge rate of 240V @ 40A (29MPH).

It's exactly what you called it. I don't recall where I got it though. It was about ten years ago. The cups slide in and out and hold fasteners, washers, etc. the whole thing rotates to expose the cups. It's pretty cool. If I can figure out where I got it, I'll post it.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008J4QZU8/ref=aw_d_pd_home-garden

Being a native Floridian, I'm not sure of the rules... is air hockey and a treadmill required equipment for basements?

EchoDelta, your description of that thing gave me the best laugh of the day. I thank you.

Looks like a good install. Technically, you didn't need the conduit in the garage except as a sleeve to get it to the ceiling - generally, NM cable can be exposed above 7 feet or so, because it's reasonably protected from damage at that point. In the final picture it looks like the #6 might be supported by another NM cable (where the whites cross). If so, I'd suggest supporting the #6 there with a clamp at that joist (I support #6 and #8 NM cable at every other joist because of its weight).

Thanks FlasherZ. Part of the reason I posted this was in case someone saw something a little off. I will support that #6 better now that you pointed it out. I didn't realize exposed wire above 7ft was okay but that's water under the bridge at this point. I feel better that it's in conduit anyway.

And yes, Btrflyl8e, most basements have treadmills and air hockey. Ping Pong too, but my ceiling is too low. I own a house in Florida too so I understand the lack of basement situation due to the high water table there. Here in NJ, most homes have basements. I just wish my breaker panel was in the garage. That would have saved me a lot of time and effort, not to mention cost. 80FT of 6/3 NM-B was not cheap.

Thanks FlasherZ. Part of the reason I posted this was in case someone saw something a little off. I will support that #6 better now that you pointed it out. I didn't realize exposed wire above 7ft was okay but that's water under the bridge at this point. I feel better that it's in conduit anyway.

NEC 334.15(B) says it must be "protected from physical damage where necessary". There are wide interpretations of this rule and it's up to the inspector. There is a rough consensus that cable exposed well above the floor (usually 7-8') is acceptable, but some inspectors may say no. If you don't need inspections in your jurisdiction, then you're probably ok with your interpretation. :)

Oh, yeah, and nothing wrong with conduit the entire way.

Last edited: